Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:48 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dr. Strange « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dr. Strange  (Read 6941 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 05, 2016, 01:21:46 AM »

Watched it tonight... wow!

I've read most all of Dr. Strange, from Strange tales up until the mid 90's that is... some of what came after that too.   Used to bike to Michigan State U in the summers and read them in the library (special collections!  awesome!).  So I'm a fair fan, to be sure.

Marvel did not disappoint.  I won't spoil but I will say that the movie is very well cast, the story does of course include the origin story.   The story is well told, and the action and FX are top notch.    Good modern sensibilities put on a character that could come across as campy.  (Sorta like Thor's costume update, let's say, on a larger scale.)      The special effects are jaw-dropping.   You could say that this movie is like Inception... I'd say, Inception is kinda like this movie.

Cummerbatch is awesome as Strange.  Tilda is awesome as the Ancient One.   Cannot wait for more, but this movie was worth the wait.   5/5 from a fanboy.   :D
Archivist

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »

That's really great news.  Dr. Strange has been one of my favourite Marvel characters since the 80's, and the success of the Marvel Studios/MCU stories so far has given me a lot of hope for this cinematic adaptation.

Thank goodness Marvel never succumbed to the 'Satanic panic' that forced RPG's like Dungeons and Dragons to downplay the demonic/magical aspects of their comics.  Or at least, I believe their characters stayed true to themselves?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »

I meant to see it this past weekend. I could not do it. So, my plans are to see it this coming weekend.

Wonder Man
Squirrel Girl
She-Hulk
Nova (Sam Alexander)
Ms. Marvel
"Miss" America Chavez
Moon Knight
Black Widow

Most likely to get their own film in Marvel's Phase IV after 2020. All depending on how Doctor Strange does at the box office. Which may be a reason to see it or not to see it. Though, the actress who plays Black Widow says, that while she'd be interested in starring in her own film, they better do it real soon, while she can still fit into her costume.

Nova and Chavez do tick off a couple of boxes, we have yet to see yet. Latino and Latina. And Chavez also ticks off the GLBTQ box. Though, if she gets her own film, I see them playing up her Latina heritage, and because of her age, playing down her lesbianism.

Though, she is not the only teenage GLBTQ character in the Marvel Universe. Striker came out as gay in Avengers Academy, and both Hulking and Wiccan are seen to be gay in Young Avengers.

My own reason for seeing the younger Marvel superheroes, such as Nova and Chavez, in their own films, is not only do I think they are more interesting characters than their older counterparts, but, that is one thing that DC, with its Teen Titans, have done better than Marvel, and that's make use of its younger superheroes (IMHO.)

And we shall see what we shall see.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »

It was good, I liked it. 

And like said before, the visuals in this movie were its real highlight.   Particularity near the end when the big villain appears. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:40:29 AM »

To cut and paste from another review I posted: This is Marvel's most visually spectacular movie, with psychedelic-hued neural universes and fast-folding Escher cityscapes; it's nothing special plotwise, but it is a solid spectacle.

Every time I think Marvel is finished, they pull out another original (the last being GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY). But I do think this is their last franchisable character, and the future holds little besides lame crossovers (one of which was hinted at in the post-credits). Other than Black Widow, none of those other characters BSKevin mentions hold much promise, and I have no idea why they've waited so damn long to give Scarlett Johansson her own movie.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 09:00:49 PM »

Saw this one over the weekend, and it is a very solid movie.  It has that good Marvel balance of seriousness and humour, and doesn't allow itself to become too grim or light.  There were a few times when I thought it could have been a bit MORE serious, but it is what it is.

I had issues with a non-Asian character playing The Ancient One, but I have to agree that this was a very good choice, and excellently done.  Mads Mikkelson was very heavy duty as Kaecilius; he does these villain roles really well.  Wong is definitely not the Kato-like servant that sometimes appeared in the comics.  And I was delighted to see Scott Adkins make an appearance as one of the villains.  It didn't occur to me who he was until he whipped out a Guyver kick in a fight scene.  I'd know that Guyver kick anywhere!

There are TWO end credits scenes, so stick around until the very end.  Looks like it is setting up for Thor Ragnarok, and the possibility of a Strange sequel.

As everyone says, the visuals are very trippy and innovative.  Hope to see more things like this in upcoming movie.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »

I finally saw it, and there were 4 big surprises in it for me--pleasant surprises.

1st. The acting. Not only were the actors running a wide gamut of emotions, they were in scenes without SFX and scenes with SFX, and that requires 2 different types of acting.
2nd. If one comes up with a list of the 10 best/worst excuses villains use to justify themselves, the one used here has to be near the top of that list.
3rd. The heroes were not perfect like most heroes. In fact they were deeply flawed, even fatally flawed.
4th. It was better overall than what I expected it to be.

But, that is just the film. What is really interesting is what the film spins off.

The in-joke.
Another Stan Lee cameo. Though, this time it was a double in-joke. We not only get Stan Lee as the man reading a book. The book he is reading is Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception."

The Hollywood rarity
A steady paycheck for Benedict Cumberbatch, as he is scheduled to appear in "Thor : Ragnarok," but also the sequel to "Doctor Strange," and "Avengers : Infinity War, pts. 1 and 2," which will be released between 2017 and 2019 or 2020. Which paycheck gives him the ability to do other less lucrative roles.

The self-assurance
Marvel must have been assured they had a hit on their hands for them to announce a sequel even before the film was released worldwide, and it looks like they were right, for right now the box office is up to half a billion $, and it has yet to open in Japan, where is if likely to take in another $100 million or so.

The meet 'n' greet
I don't know how long he'll be there, but Doctor Strange is available to meet 'n' greet his fans at Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World.

Thor : Ragnarok
I haven't seen any of the previous Thor films, nor do I have any plans to go back and see the ones I missed, but I do have plans to catch this one, if only to see if Loki's fate is the same as it is in the comics. I won't say what it is, but I will give a hint, if anybody remembers the fate of one of the major characters at the end of the 2nd season of the TV series "Friday the 13th," Loki shares the same fate in the comics, as that character. Which I think actually makes Loki a more interesting character.

20th Century Fox
It has the rights to the X-men. The House of Mouse has the rights to the Avengers. The rumor has it that both are looking to merge the X-men with the Avengers for 1 or more films.

Next time: after I sort thru it, another list of possible Marvel films for phase IV from 2020 to 2024, and there looks to be a phase V from 2025 to 2028, because no one is going to quit making films, when there is still the possibility of making money.
Archivist

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 05:10:53 AM »

What really thrills me is that not only are the comics I read as a child now coming to life, but they are being done in such a high quality and popular way.  Marvel Studios is weaving a superb tapestry of their characters and stories one movie at a time.  Avengers showed everyone that a superhero movie can be immensely popular, lucrative AND good quality without resorting to being dark and gritty. 

It is very rare to see someone deride The Avengers in the same way as others do with Michael Bay's Transfomers, so it's not just about Marvel movies being popular, they are also great movies.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »

Marvel's Phase Iv (2020 to 2024)
or, what is possible.

Avengers 5
with a new line up, as . . .
--Captain America
--Iron Man
--Thor
--Vision
. . . are all on the chopping block.

Captain America 4

Ant-man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy 3
with a new line-up, as . . .
--Drax
--Gamora
. . . are both on the chopping block.

Black Panther 2

Captain Marvel 2

Doctor Strange 2

Spider-man sequel

Black Widow
if the sell thru date has not expired.

In-humans
with Vin Diesel as Black Bolt
This was suppose to be part of Phase III, but it was pushed back,
or, it may become a TV series on Netflix. Either one is possible at this moment.

Moon Knight
Though which one is anybody's guess, as he has had so many alterations, teaming with or being part of . . .
Daredevil -- Doctor Strange -- Fantastic 4 -- Punisher -- Secret Avengers -- Spider-man -- The Thunderbolts -- West Coast Avengers -- and X-men. Those U.S. Marines, which he was one once, do get around. Though, one can see why Marvel may want to try to do something with the character, the 1st film one with a teen sidekick called Midnight, as there are so many possibilities.

And be care full what you wish for. For you may get it.
I had wished for Marvel to do something with its teen superheroes, such as DC's Teen Titans, and it looks like we are going to get a TV series featuring Marvel's The Runaways. Who are the children of some of Marvel's villains. I guess after the success of "Descendants 1" and "Descendants 2," the children of villains are now the in-thing. And if anybody is interested, Marvel Studios is having an open casting call for actors and actresses to play the roles. The mother of one (Nico Minoru's mother Tina Minoru) we have already seen in "Doctor Strange."

And we'll see what we'll see!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »

Here are the Marvel films from the House of Mouse over the next 3 years (2017 - 2019)

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (5/5)
Spider-man Homecoming (7/7)
Thor : Ragnarok (11/3)

Black Panther (2/16)
Avengers : Infinity War (5/4)
Ant-man and the Wasp (7/6)

Captain Marvel (3/8)
Untitled Avengers (5/3)

While there is talk now of Avengers : Infinity War being wrapped up in 1 film, it makes more sense to continue with the idea of 2 films. The 1st film ending in a cliffhanger, and the 2nd film bringing all to a conclusion.

And while it is not obvious here, the House of Mouse is actually boxing in many a month, or, releasing a film to theaters that 1st weekend and then releasing a 2nd film to theaters that last weekend.

Next time:
other films from the House of Mouse over the next three years
and
releases for next year (2017)
for the other film studios
--Columbia Sony
--Paramount Viacom
--Time Warner
--Universal NBC Comcast
--20th Century Fox

snowman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »

Awesome movie!! Special effects were out of this world. If you can watch it in 3D; better yet 3D IMAX - you will be blown away.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »

I don't even have the words to describe what some of those special effect where.  How did they even come up with that stuff much less do it?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »

And one need not wait for the next film in the series, as it has been confirmed that Doctor Stephen Strange, as played by Benedict Cumberbatch, will appear in  Thor Ragnarok, which is scheduled for release on November 3, 2017.

I'll probably go see it. Which will make it the 1st Thor film I've seen, as I am curious as to whether Loki's fate in the film will be the same as his fate in the Thor graphic novels. Which actually makes him a more interesting character (IMHO.)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »

And one need not wait for the next film in the series, as it has been confirmed that Doctor Stephen Strange, as played by Benedict Cumberbatch, will appear in  Thor Ragnarok, which is scheduled for release on November 3, 2017.

I'll probably go see it. Which will make it the 1st Thor film I've seen, as I am curious as to whether Loki's fate in the film will be the same as his fate in the Thor graphic novels. Which actually makes him a more interesting character (IMHO.)

..and Hulk,too!
I'd LOVE to see the Inhumans-I loved the Kirby comic as a kid. I would really like to see Namor-the Sub-Mariner!He's the very FIRST Marvel superhero-going back to 1939! And there's gotta be a way to get the FF and Silver Surfer in over here somehow! It don't seem right without 'em!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »

I would love to see a Luke Cage movie set in the 1970s and based on the character's original blaxploitation roots. I like the Netflix series, but I'm a much bigger fan of the old Luke Cage.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dr. Strange « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.