Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:55:21 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Happy 100th Birthday Forrest J Ackerman! The BAD Moives of FJA! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Happy 100th Birthday Forrest J Ackerman! The BAD Moives of FJA!  (Read 3193 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: November 24, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »

(Note-here's the article I wrote that WAS to be published in a monster mag -they never did)

In honor of FJA's 100th Birthday-I give you...the BAD Movies of FJA!

Unless your from Mars (and if your reading this,you may well be!),-you've likely heard of Forrest J Ackerman. FJA,4sj,Uncle Forry,Dr.Acula,the Ackermonster-was,among many other things,the editor of Famous Monsters of Filmland-the 1st horror film fan mag,from 1958 to 1983. So I dedicate this humble piece to his memory. FJA will NEVER DIE!
 Science Fiction and horror films were big box office in the '50's-AIP teenage monster movies,atomic giant bugs,and Hammer's horrors were haunting the big screen.On TV,Vampira was the Ghostess with the Mostess and Zacherle was introducing the old Universal monsters to a new generation.Enter Famous Monsters of Filmland.
 James Warren had been published a quasi-Playboy magazine entitled After Hours at the time,and for one issue-#2-he gave literary agent Forrest J Ackerman fantasy fanatic free reign as editor. So-along with spicy photo spreads (which included Russ Meyer's wife Eve, blonde euro-star Anita Ekberg,and the immortal Betty Page)-were sci-fi cartoons and stories,and lotsa photos of bug eyed monsters and monsterous bugs!
The issue made money. Warren-never to miss a bandwagon,once again gave Forry an assignment-produce a one shot mag wholly devoted to horror and science fiction films! It made money hand over fist(-or claw ,so to speak), and Famous Monsters of Filmland was born!
 Along the way,FJA edited Space men,Monster World,and created Vampirella...and acted in films.
  Did I say "acted? Perhaps "cameo"ed is a better term. 95% are some of the worst of the worst.Even few die-hard 'bad' movie fans can sit threw such drek as NUDIST COLONY OF THE DEAD (1991),CURSE OF THE QUEER WOLF (1988) or SKINNED DEEP (2006). But there is some interesting stuff here-and even some gems among the rubble.
 So here the-are  some the most memorable Famous Forry's of Filmland!

.the TIME TRAVELERS (1964)- A group of scientists travel to the future to find it swarming by atom age mutants and goofy looking mandroids.Pretty standard 60's sci-fi. For fans of classic 1930's Golden Age horror,the 'Moon Maniac of DR.X (1932)-Preston Foster-stars as the lead professor.
FJA plays a robot technician.

.QUEEN OF BLOOD (1966)-A rocket ship from who knows where is sending a representitive of their world to meet us clueless Earthlings,but crash lands on Mars. So John Saxon,Basil Rathbone and a Dennis Hopper come to the rescue.Fools! It's sole occupant is a green skinned gal with an amazing bee hive hairdo with a taste for blood,played by the creepy Florence Marley.
  Basil Rathbone,as you may well know,starred in the classic SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) and was screen lands most famous Sherlock Holmes.John Saxon went on to star opposite Bruce Lee in the best Kung Fu movie of all time,ENTER THE DRAGON (1973).And of course had to deal with them crazy kids in a NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984). Dennis Hopper would go on to fame as director and star of EASY RIDER (1968),of many other things.
FJA plays a lab assistant

.EQUINOX (1970) While wandering around out in the boonies,some over-age teens (including TV's WKRP In Cincinatii's Frank Bonner) come upon a crazy old man with an old book and a tape recorder in a cave. On the tape is the voice of a professor (FJA's voice,actually!) who warns them not to tamper with the arcane tome. Of course they do-which unleashes a horde of monsters and demons. Sound familiar, Evil Dead fans?
 The stop motion F/X by Dave Allen and Jim Danforth are excellant! They include a giant Lovecraftian squid monster, a blue gilled  ape thing, and a flying bright red Satan. The weird distorted facial close-ups also show in Ramai's EVIL DEAD (1982) camera work. Sam says he never say this before making the EVIL DEAD . Hmmmm...it's yer story,buddy...
Horror writer Fritz Lieber shows up long enough to die.

.DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN (1971) Directed by Al Adamson..
Plot-Count Dracula enlists the aid of Dr.Frankenstein to revive the Monster so he can rule the world (of course.) The End.
 Of all the films listed here,this is my favorite. I LOVE it. Why,you may ask? Let me count the ways...
1.It's an Al Adamson picture. Al may not be a great director-hell-not even a good one! But dam! He sure knew how to make insane off the wall films! Even the titles-SATAN'S SADISTS (1969),HORROR OF THE BLOOD MONSTERS (1970),BRAIN OF BLOOD (1970), just reek of grade z exploitation. And his casts of on the skids veterans and desperate newcomers make them a must see for me.
2.Lon Chaney Jr.-Horror film great Lon plays a mute Lemmy type junkie,who-after getting his fix,goes apes**t,stumbling around the beach lopping the heads of nubile young pretties.
3.J.Carrol Naish-A bit of monster movie history. Way back in the glory days of Universal monster movies,J.Carrol Naish and Lon Chaney Jr starred together in HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944) . Now-in both of their final roles,they're reunited in another monster mash-up. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
4.Angelo Rossitto-"Little Angie " has been around horror horror films since silent films. He was ,SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN (1929),the MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929),and Tod Browning's FREAKS (1932).He played opposite Lon Chaney Sr. in WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1927),Karloff in DOOMED TO DIE (1940),Basil Rathbone in the SPIDER WOMAN (1944),and three Lugosi films-SPOOKS RUN WILD (1941),the CORPSE VANISHES (1942),and SCARED TOO DEATH (1947). In one of his last roles, he was the Master-pitted against Mel Gibson in MAD MAX-BEYOND THUNDER DOME-in which I thought,was the highlight of the film.
5.Zandor Vorkov as Dracula-With his echo-box voice,dime store booga booga fangs and sporting a Micheal Brady man perm,he's one of the goofiest Dracula's ever. EVER.
6.John Bloom/Shelly Weiss as the Monster/Creature.-Remember the big retard side of the INCREDIBLE TWO HEADED TRANSPLANT (1971)? Here he's the Frankenstein Monster,with a face that resembles a dried up Halloween pumpkin. At the end of the movie when the Count rips off the monsters arms (really!)-it was Shelly Weiss-(billed as the Creature),who took over the Monster role.
7.Not to mention some 1930's era electrical equipment borrowed from FRANKENSTEIN (1931) f/x genuis Kenneth Strickfadden,and Al's usual gang -Russ Tamblyn,Regina Carrol,Gary Kent,and Greydon Clark.
.8. And of course,in his biggest part up to that time,Uncle Forry as Dr.Beaumont,encounters Dracula,who orders the Monster to crush the life from him. Of course this was rewarded by having the film get a cover and coverage in Famous Monsters #89. I treasure my copy.

.SCHLOCK (1973)-First effort by John Landis,who went on to the comedy hits ANIMAL HOUSE (1978) and the BLUES BROTHERS (1980). And of course the tragic TWILIGHT ZONE-THE MOVIE (1983).Silly slapstick tale of a missing link that falls in love with a blind girl who thinks he's a dog. Also notable for being the first job for master monster maker Rick Baker.
FJA is a man in a theater watching the BLOB (1958).

.KING KONG (1976) OK-straight off the bat-I don't like this movie. Producer Dino De Laurentiis actually ballyhooed this as 'the most exciting original motion picture event of all time." Exciting? That's a matter of opinion. If a ho-hum fight between Kong and an obvious mechanical snake is exciting-sure. "Original"? This is a remake of a bona fide classic,Dino.
And-"of all time". OF ALL TIME. And,if you were around back then,you may recall the big publicity campaign revolved around the fact that Kong was to be played by a giant animatronic robot. I saw this in the theater back then at the age of 14-the giant robot is in operation for about 6 seconds,when he's supposed to be breaking out of a cage,in which it stands perfectly still and stiffly raises its arm like a cheap action figure. Otherwise it just stood there. Kong was played by Rick Baker in a gorilla suit-and Rick can make good suits-but he doesn't know how to walk like an ape. Plus-just the fact that KING KONG (1933) was a stop motion classic. And to top that-they send in a guy in a monkey suit-? that was done in the cheezy but fun KONGA (1960)! If your going to claim  to be 'the most exciting original motion picture of all time",you should at least make an effort! Should have been dubbed "the worst,inane,rip-off of all time." How bad is it? Forry -in his mag Famous Monsters-came out with both fists swinging  bashed this film! This is a man who gave space in his mag to tout some real z-budget stinkers. Because he knew that those films were made with heart. This was a insult to a classic.
Oh yeah,Forry's a face in the crowd in this one.

.the HOWLING (1981) d.Joe Dante. If asked "What's your favorite 80's werewolf movie" (hey-happens all the time),folks may opt for AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981) or perhaps the COMPANY OF WOLVES (1984). For me-it's the HOWLING. Reason-those big scary werewolves! And that (spoiler) ending when Dee Wallace does a Larry Talbot on national TV is priceless! A great monster movie!
Forry's a man in a bookstore.

.Micheal Jackson's THRILLER (1983) not a fan of child molester/weirdo Jackson's werewolf/zombie video,but it does have Vincent Price as narrator and f/x by Rick Baker.
Again,Forry is a man in the movie theater.

.EVIL SPAWN (1983)-Remember the old A.I.P creature feature the WASP WOMAN (1958)? Here it is again-updated with a z budget and lots of gore! Ackerman "discovery"Bobbie Bresse ( who promptly disappeared into obscurity) plays a washed up B-movie actress who is given a youth restoring drug,which,of course, turns her into a limb tearing bug monster. But oh well-that's show biz! It's an old school monster movie with the added joys of lotsa blood spurting veins,a great scene of an insane Dawn Wildsmith painting the wall with her brains via a big gun,Bobbie puking vile fluids onto the camera lens and lotsa boobie shots.An anti classic! On the down side-it's sad to see a weak John Carradine,clearly very ill,barley able to croak out his lines in one of his final roles.
FJA is seen in the background as an over-age pool boy.

.DEAD ALIVE (1992) One of the best,goriest,funniest zombie films ever made.
What happened to director Peter Jackson? He did some great films-BAD TASTE (1987),MEET THE FEEBLES (1989) and this. Now he does over praised kiddie fare-yes LORD OF THE RINGS,I'm talking about you. So sad.

.VAMPIRELLA (1996) Way back in 1969 Forry invented the character of Vampirella for a drowning Warren Publications,and the buxom bloodsucker from the planet Drakulon was an instant hit.
 In 1975,a failing Hammer films hoped to film Vampirella and hoped that lightining would strike twice. It was not to be. It was to star the venerable Peter Cushing as Van Helsing and Hammer starlot Caroline Munro as Vampi. Munro backed out,refusing to do nude scenes,as did BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB (1971) lead Valarie Leon.
 Enter Barbara Leigh. The film got big publicity-in the pages of Famous Monsters,and Leigh was featured on 7 (!) covers of Vampirella. Peter Cushing even showed up at the 2nd annual Famous Monsters convention in support of the project! All for naught. A.I.P. refused to distribute it without an American name star,and the deal fell threw. It was the last nail in Hammers coffin.
And it should have stayed that way. Beacuse the Jim Wynorski version is a travesty. It's just BAD. And not even in a 'so bad it's good' way...just BAD. Hey,Peter Jackson? Wanna make a Vampirella movie? Pleeeease????

.the VAMPIRE HUNTERS CLUB (2001) directed by long time Monster Kid Don Glut had John Agar ,FJA,,film historian and part time gorilla Bob Burns,Mary Wornov in a story of aging vampire killers on the hunt for Dracula. As a plus, Carla Laemmle,who had a small part in the 1931 Lugosi DRACULA,appears as an elderly vampiress!

.the NAKED MONSTER (2005) featured Kenneth Tobey,John Agar,Jeanne (MONSTER FROM PIEDRAS BLANCAS ) Crane,Robert Clarke,Paul (PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE) Marco,Lori Nelson,Ann Robinson,Gloria Talbot Les Treymayne and,of course,FJA.Oh-and Brinke Stevens and Michelle Baur to boot!

Forrest J Ackerman would have been 100 years young on this November 24,Thanksgiving Day. And I thank you,Uncle Forry,for when I discovered Famous Monsters for the first time way back when I was 8 years old in 1971,for all the great memories and showing me how to stay young forever.

A Forry Filmography. courtesy of IMDB

2010-The Dead Undead
Wheelchair Zombie
 2008-The Boneyard Collection
Dr. Acula
 2007-Signs of Life (Short)
Patriarch
 1995-2006Horror Kung-Fu Theatre (TV Series)
Uncle Forry / Mr. Sci-Fi
- Deathdream (2006) ... Uncle Forry
 2006-Scarlet Moon
The General
 2005-The Scorned (TV Movie)
Man In Wheelchair (uncredited)
 2005-The Naked Monster

Skinned Deep
Forrey
 2001-SadoMannequin (Short)
Dr. Acula
 2001-The Creep
The Host
 2001-The Double-D Avenger (Video)
Museum Caretaker
 2001-The Vampire Hunters Club (Video short)
Forry
 1997-Future War (Video)
Park Victim
 1996-Dinosaur Valley Girls
Acker-Man on the street
 1996-Vampirella (Video)
Club Patron (uncredited)
 1995-Attack of the 60 Foot Centerfold
Dracula
 1995-Bikini Drive-In
Man With Insect Repellent
 1994-Ceremony
Sylvia's father
 1994-Beverly Hills Cop III
Bar Patron (uncredited)
 1994-That Little Monster
Innocent Blood
Stolen Car Man
 1992-Dead Alive
Forry
 1991-Nudist Colony of the Dead
Judge Rhinehole
 1991-My Lovely Monster
The Master
 1990-Hard to Die
Dr. Ed Newton
 1989-The Laughing Dead
Corpse #1
 1989-Transylvania Twist
Funeral Director
 1989-My Mom's a Werewolf (uncredited)
 1988-Curse of the Queerwolf
Mr. Richardson
 1988-The Wizard of Speed and Time
Mustached Man at Garage Sale (as Forrest Ackerman)
 1988-Michaels' Movie Madness (TV Series)
 1988-Return of the Living Dead II
Special Zombie (as Forrest Ackerman)
 1987-Amazon Women on the Moon
U.S. President (segment "Amazon Women on the Moon")
 1987-Evil Spawn
Pool Guy
 1983-Scalps
Professor Trentwood
 1983-Michael Jackson: Thriller (Video short)
The Aftermath
The Curator
 1981-The Howling
Bookstore Customer (uncredited)
 1979-Starstruck (TV Movie)
Alien Astronaut (uncredited)
 1977-The Kentucky Fried Movie
Jurist (segment "Courtroom")
 1976-King Kong
Fleeing Extra in Crowd (uncredited)
Hollywood Boulevard
Party Guest (uncredited)
 1973-Schlock
Man in cinema
 1971-Dracula vs. Frankenstein
Dr. Beaumont (as Forest J Ackerman)
 1970-Equinox
Doctor on tape recorder (voice, uncredited)
 1966-Queen of Blood
Farraday's aide (as Forrest Ackerman)
 1964-The Time Travelers
Square-frame technician
 1948-The Winner's Circle
Man in Crowd (uncredited)
 1947-The Farmer's Daughter
Audience Member at Finley Rally (uncredited)
 1944-Hey, Rookie
Sgt. Ack-Ack (uncredited)

Tor Johnson with FJA in his TIME TRAVELERS suit

QUEEN OF BLOOD Florence Marley and Forry.

FJA with DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN co-star J.Carroll Naish

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:56:10 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »

I quite agree with your assessment of DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN, yes it is awful, and yet so much fun as well. I have grown to love the film over the years and when it is released in Blu-ray this December by Shriek Show, I know I'll be getting a copy. The acting is dire and both the Monster and Dracula look ridiculous and yet it's such a train-wreck that I find myself drawn towards it..

Ed Wood will always have PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE as his "masterpiece"..Al Adamson will have this one. TongueOut
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »

I quite agree with your assessment of DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN, yes it is awful, and yet so much fun as well. I have grown to love the film over the years and when it is released in Blu-ray this December by Shriek Show, I know I'll be getting a copy. The acting is dire and both the Monster and Dracula look ridiculous and yet it's such a train-wreck that I find myself drawn towards it..

Ed Wood will always have PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE as his "masterpiece"..Al Adamson will have this one. TongueOut

Oddly enough,Forry also worked as Ed Wood's agent-having sold many of his various smut novellas to cheap publishers!
Also-Sam Sherman-who (along with Al Adamson, founded Independent International Pictures)-was editor of Famous Monsters sister magazine in the early 60's ,Screen Thrills Illustrated.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:41:52 PM »

I forgot he created  Vampirella's.

And I only got around to seeing Equinox last year, but its a great little film.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:31:58 AM »

Equinox sounds fun.

I also prefer The Howling to AAWIL (which is saying something)

Nice article RC  Thumbup

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Skull
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:11:47 AM »

I loved Equinox (and there is so much of the story seemed to mirror Evil Dead)... Though Evil Dead is a million times scarier and gorier.

I thought Equinox was a student film (similar to Evil Dead) and that Equinox took a more then 2 years to make (I think 4 total)... Hmmm... As I recall Evil Dead took 4 years to make too...

I think Forrest J Ackerman's role was adding additional footage to the movie and the ending.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »

Great job, RC!

You forgot to say where we can find Forry in DEAD-ALIVE, though.

I would have published it---maybe for Forry's 101st birthday?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 03:37:09 AM »

Great job, RC!

You forgot to say where we can find Forry in DEAD-ALIVE, though.

I would have published it---maybe for Forry's 101st birthday?

Indeed I did-He's just billed as Forry-I'm guessing he was just an extra in there someplace...hmmm...
AHA! I found it! He's the guy who crushes the rat/monkeys head with the picture of Lionel's mother!  Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 04:23:53 AM »

Just for the hell of it-here's some more 4E photos.

with his wife Wendayne and Bela Lugosi in 1955!

circa 1929

with Carroll (MARK OF THE VAMPIRE) Borland

with actress Lori Nelson and the monster from the DAY THE WORLD ENDED (1955)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 11:10:13 PM »

That's a heck of a tribute right there.  I almost feel bad commenting knowing nothing I can say can really add to what you've already said. 

I also agree on Drac vs Frank.  It's certainly an entertaining movie.  It amuses me that the Ackermonster has not only that horrible version of Dracula on his resume, but also Vampirella, which has one of the WORST versions of Dracula I've ever seen.  Seems like Forey just didn't have any luck with Dracula.   
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Happy 100th Birthday Forrest J Ackerman! The BAD Moives of FJA! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.