Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:07:19 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rogue One : a Star Wars Story (upcoming film) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rogue One : a Star Wars Story (upcoming film)  (Read 5410 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »

Ended up seeing this three times due to different groups of people wanting to go see it with us and not all being available at the same time. Saw lots of posts on facebook from people who had seen it multiple times as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one breaks the billion mark at the box office. Enjoyed it and really felt it was a worthwhile addition to the canon, although I do have to admit I am undecided on the CGI Peter Cushing. Will they simply do the same thing when time comes for episode 9 with Carrie Fisher?

****SPOILER ALERT****
And I know it would never happen but I so wanted the robots last words to be "I am a leaf on the wind".

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »

(IMHO!)
But first . . .

For those who want more detail than found in the film. Then read the novelization. Read the novelization. Did I say read: Alexander Freed's Rogue One : a Star Wars Story. While it is nothing something that I have read. Though, it is on my list to read. Those who have read it do say it goes into more detail about the story and the characters in the film.

As for my opinions . . .

Different
That is the 1st thing I noticed about the film. How different it seemed from the other films in the series.

Emotions
(Seemingly more the sleeve, then in the past.)
the anger -- the courage -- the doubt -- the hate -- the humor that keeps us going -- the love -- and the attitude toward violence. Should we use it or should we not use it?

Emotional impact
Thus the film had a more emotional impact on me than the other Star Wars films I have seen.

Realism
If Star Wars was Star Wars fact instead of Star Wars fiction, then this film probably comes nearer to being a realistic portrayal of that fact then the other Star Wars films I've seen.

Violence
(Boys, what we have here is the Alamo in outer space.)
In regards to body count, probably the most violent of the Star Wars films that I've seen to date. Actually, in regards to body count, probably the most violent science fiction film that I have ever seen. Beating out the previous Star Wars : a New Hope, as this is at least twice as violent as that one.

And what I noticed, that while we were aware of the death of most of the major characters in the film, each death occurs slightly off-screen.

And there is a question, that I wonder if someone can answer. When Saw Gerrera sees that he is going to die, he unclips a couple of items from his clothes and tosses them aside. Does anybody know what those items were?

Cameos
Some nice cameos in it. Recognize Red Squadron Leader? Apparently the same actor who led the Red Squadron 39 years ago in Star Wars : a New Hope.

Box office
(Still the film everyone wants to see.)
Nine days after opening on a Sunday afternoon in 2D the theater where I saw it was still half full of people. Which is good news for . . .

Han and Lando which will be out sometime in 2018. For if people go for this film, then it is a good possibility that they will go for another stand-alone film And for Ahsoka : the Movie. We have had Ahsoka : the graphic novel and Ahsoka : the Novel, which I am reading. So will step 3 be Ahsoka : the Movie. Which is  bad news for . . .

The competition, if there is a limited amount spent on theater tickets, and it is going to this and other Star War films, then it won't be going to the competition, which includes last year's Sing. Which seemed to have a good chance of topping Disney/Pixar for the Academy Award for Best Animated Film. And how will its standing in competition with Rogue One : a Star Wars film affect the Academy Award voters?

As for the Disney/Pixar films of last year, Zootopia, Finding Dory, and Moana, at this moment, the odds on favorite to win is Zootopia.

As for my final opinion . . .
Interesting. I have seen so many films over the years, the only thing I ask of a film now is for it to be INTERESTING, and Rogue One : a Star Wars Story, while not a perfect film, and we'll go more into that next time, it certainly was one of the more interesting films I have seen to date.

Archivist

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »

For those who want more detail than found in the film. Then read the novelization. Read the novelization. Did I say read: Alexander Freed's Rogue One : a Star Wars Story. While it is nothing something that I have read. Though, it is on my list to read. Those who have read it do say it goes into more detail about the story and the characters in the film.

Emotional impact
Thus the film had a more emotional impact on me than the other Star Wars films I have seen.

Realism
If Star Wars was Star Wars fact instead of Star Wars fiction, then this film probably comes nearer to being a realistic portrayal of that fact then the other Star Wars films I've seen.

And there is a question, that I wonder if someone can answer. When Saw Gerrera sees that he is going to die, he unclips a couple of items from his clothes and tosses them aside. Does anybody know what those items were?

Cameos
Some nice cameos in it. Recognize Red Squadron Leader? Apparently the same actor who led the Red Squadron 39 years ago in Star Wars : a New Hope.

Loved the cameos from different actors, although I missed the one with Red Squadron Leader.

Saw Gerrera was regularly breathing from some kind of gas cylinder, ostensibly to help keep him alive.  His body was largely robotic implants and grafts, keeping him going in his fight against the Empire.  Unclipping those things showed that he was ready to die, and that his fight was over. 

I absolutely agree about the emotional impact.  While the original movie was an emotional revelation to a young boy, I can imagine a lot of kids being quite emotional about this one, too.  Although, deeper emotional effect is derived from the retrospective understanding of the context of Episode IV.

And I will definitely read the book.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »

Thank you for your response to my question, Archivist. I couldn't figure out what Saw was doing, but your response makes a lot of sense. Thank-you again.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 03:50:47 PM »

While I enjoyed the film well enough, there was one thing wrong with it, or at least one aspect of it that could have been better. I must admit I am not the only person to think this, though I was slower to come to this than others. It was not only till I saw the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT at Walt Disney World. Though, I had seen it on TV and on You Tube, this is the 1st time I had seen it in person. Thus, a little background, maestro.

I don't know how long it has been on-going where I saw it, but it has been an annual seasonal presentation for over 50 years at Disneyland. And while the talent varies, it normally consists of . . .
4 trumpeters
2 choirs
--an adult choir
--a children's choir
1 string and percussion orchestra
and a narrator who varies from year to year and week to week, who reads the Story of the Nativity from the Holy Bible. And the week I saw it, it was Cal Ripken, jr. Who did a fine job as the narrator.

And it ended with a standing ovation, as all the performers, except for the narrator, broke into Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, and whatever the Medved Brothers and others may think, for me one of the greatest moments in film is the use of the Chorus in The Greatest Story Ever Told. Which is when I realized what was wrong, or what could have been better, with Rogue One : a Star Wars Story, was the music. Which if nothing wrong with it, could have been better.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rogue One : a Star Wars Story (upcoming film) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.