Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:38:20 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Jedi bashing? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Jedi bashing?  (Read 5676 times)
J.R.
« on: May 19, 2002, 04:15:44 AM »

In case anyone wasn't aware, Episode 2 just came out, and with it came  out and with it arrived reviews and opinions from many people saying it was the best since Empire, or that it feels like the first two, etc., but I don't understand quite what they're getting at. Not that E2 is good, but that Return Of The Jedi wasn't. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up on Jedi, but I think it's just as good as the first two. I've haeard some people complain about the Ewoks in a Jar Jar-like manner, but I liked them. In fact, the first time a movie really connected with me  emotionally was when the AT-ST blasts those two Ewoks and the one touches his friend, realizing he's dead. Plus we finally see Luke grow out of his whiny stage and get to some ass-whooping. And Leia's gold bikini.
Ooohivecome
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 04:26:31 AM »

There was this one time at band camp when i stuck a flute up my arse - have you ever done anything like that J.R
Reed Rothchild
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 07:58:52 AM »

Not sure what you're implying with the American Pie reference towards J.R. Or that you realise the puerile name you've given yourself is funny to anyone apart from you.
     Anyway, back to the topic: personally even as a child I detested the Ewoks. I thought they ruined the last part of the movie. Far too sappy and cute for my liking. I also thought that Darth Vader looked like Humpty Dumpty under the mask. But on the plus side, a million teenage loins must have been stirred by Leia in that bikini, including mine .
The Honn
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2002, 08:30:18 AM »

The first time I ever saw the Star Wars trilogy completely was in the cinema in 97 when they were re-released. I that they were all fantastic, including Jedi. I was severely let down by Episode 1 because, to be completely honest, it was horrible. Empire Strikes Back has always been my favourite and I did kind of think that Jedi lacked something but it was never bad, nor did I consider it the worst of them even before Phantom Menace. As for Episode 2 being the best since Empire, I dont think so. It was certainly a VAST improvement but it still lacked alot of emotion and feeling. It was a very cold movie. But Yoda and his lightsabre saved it.
Neo
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2002, 03:50:32 PM »

I didn't like RotJ for the reason of the Ewoks, the corny lines, and just something about the feel didn't sit right with me. I didn't like the idea of another Death Star either.

As for people liking Jar Jar or the Ewoks, that is their own right. It is all up to personal opinion. Thus why some people like certain movies and others don't. I say if YOU like it, than who cares and enjoy!

-Neo-
Neo
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2002, 04:07:41 PM »

I didn't like RotJ for the reason of the Ewoks, the corny lines, and just something about the feel didn't sit right with me. I didn't like the idea of another Death Star either.

As for people liking Jar Jar or the Ewoks, that is their own right. It is all up to personal opinion. Thus why some people like certain movies and others don't. I say if YOU like it, than who cares and enjoy!

-Neo-
Steven Millan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2002, 04:42:40 PM »

Hey,I seem to think that "Return Of The Jedi" is a pretty damn cool movie,that's as worthy as the other "Star Wars" movies.
           Yeah,it did upset people that both the Imperial Empire and Darth Vader met their end,and that the Ewoks were added to entertain the kiddie crowd(as was Jar Jar in "The Phantom Menace"),but,it was exciting to see Han Solo back ,Luke having grown into his own confident Jedi self/hero,and Leia in that sexy scanty outfit on Jabba's personal yacht.
            And,I highly doubt it that "Episode 3" will be the very last "Star Wars" movie,since George Lucas will ,in three to five years after that film,feel hungry for some more "Star Wars" cash,and hire a Cameron/Raimi/Jackson-calibre filmmaker to film the other remaining episodes(7,8,and 9),and the heavy fan demand will cause him to give in,as well.
           Now,those later episodes would be very interesting,seeing how Luke's attempt to resurrect the Jedi legacy(with new,younger warriors joining him)in a new,post-Empire generation,and how he and the other old school veterans adjust to that time period(and battle that era's new villains,as well).
john
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2002, 02:12:23 AM »

I don't dislike ROTJ, but I could have done without all the puppet characters. Honestly, it should have been titled The Muppets Vs. The Empire. The pig guards, Jabba's band and the other weird aliens that looked absolutely silly when compared to the cantina, and of course the Ewoks. This was also the thing I disliked the most about Phantom Menace. The two-headed pod-race announcer looked like something you'd expect to see in a spoof.

>in a new,post-Empire generation

I never understood how the death of the emperor destroyed the entire empire. Won't someone else step up to assume control? Even if nobody else becomes emperor, there's still the matter of thousands of Imperial bases, troops etc. I doubt they'd all just give up their way of life just because one guy died.
The Honn
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2002, 05:04:47 AM »

Ah but thats what the books are for. I havent read many of them but the jist of it seems to be the on-going fight against the empire that is struggling to regain control. The books flesh it out alot more, but I dont have the patience to read them.
Flangepart
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2002, 11:05:01 AM »

Well, i gave up on the books after the end of the X-wing series, but the idea of the Emperiors death cracking open the Imperial monolith is logical. After such a talented megalamanicac cacks off, the lower vermin will dogfight to see who's on top, and unless a "Great unifiying preditor" like Palpatine comes along, it all fall down go boom. Still, the film only implyed all that, and the books were left to mop up the details.  I liked the X-wing series best, as i've always been an armchair fighter jock, and the Average hero status of Wedge Antillies and Rogues always suited me. Check six!
Chadzilla
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2002, 06:54:16 PM »

Of the "classic" trilogy (and I use the term quite loosely) RotJ is the one that has most worn out its welcome with me.  There just isn't enough original story to hold the movie together, much less my interest, for two hours and fifteen minutes.  RotJ just perfunctorially ties up one plot thread after another with a rousing (albeit overlong) action scene and ends with a rehash of the first Star Wars climatic battle with amped up special effects.  Boba Fett's easy dismissal from the action also burnt my beans.  Granted it's fun a movie, but it feels strained and somewhat empty of the magic, mystery and fun that made the first two films such hits (although I admit to really disliking Empire the first time I saw it because it was too dark for my childhood taste - I wanted Luke, Leia, and Han to open a can of Wup Ass on Darth, not get their collective butts kicked from here to the rubble of Aladeran). Also I think Harrison Ford should be ashamed of himself, I know that by the time this movie came out he was an A List actor, but he could have at least tried.  Clearly he didn't, his acting is lifeless, more times than not he just simply says his lines without bothering to fake emoting , in fact he looks embarrassed(compare his performance in RotJ with his acting in the first two films and you'll see what I mean).

But hey Dude, if you like the movie then rock on.
J.R.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2002, 11:23:40 PM »

Lucas has stated again and again that he had the entire saga mapped out from day one and he is the all-powerful puppet master, yadda, yadda. But really, would Boba Fett even be in Episode 2 if fans didn't like him so much? I think not. I will admit there is something that's bothered me about ROTJ since I was a kid- the, er, uncomfortably "fey" or "gooey" performances of the main actors. Everything's touchy-touchy and soap opera-type emoting.
Andrew
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2002, 11:33:07 PM »

Honestly, until we got to the arena scene, "AotC" was driving me nuts.  Let me see if I can sum up the movie for that first hour and some:

Sleep with me!
-We cannot do that.
Sleep with me!
-No!
My life sucks.  Sleep with me!
-For the last time...
Sleep with me!
and so on.

That being said, once the action starts I was quite happy.  Seeing a mass of jedi fighting droids and then Yoda totally opening a can of whup-ass rocked.

The problem here might be that, from what I can tell, Lucas has a problem with directing people.  To sum it up: he cannot.

Andrew
ErikJ
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2002, 12:13:01 AM »

You cannot direct that which cannot be directed
Andrew
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2002, 12:36:17 AM »

ErikJ wrote:
>
> You cannot direct that which cannot be directed

When someone has nearly complete creative control of something and it turns out badly, their ability to displace fault is seriously eroded.

Andrew
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Jedi bashing? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.