Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:17:40 PM
714145 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Good God, Hollywood, NO!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good God, Hollywood, NO!!!  (Read 2921 times)
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« on: December 17, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »

This morning I read that there are plans for a series based on "Single White Female" as well as "reboots" of "All in the Family," "The Jeffersons," "Maude," and other Norman Lear vehicles from the 70s.

I wish I could say I'm shocked at this, but it is merely further proof that Hollywood and all of its decision makers should be vigorously wiped away like the fecal stain they have become since the 1990s.

Who is begging for this to happen? Hell, most people I know don't even remember these shows, and these same people give me weird looks when I reference anything made before they were born. Older viewers maybe? That's a laugh as modern TV and movie executives figure anyone older than 40 can just watch channels like Me TV.

Honoring classic TV and movies is fine. But rehashing familiar titles and brands as a form of mental "comfort food" is killing creativity. There's over 100 years of movies and over 60 years of television to chose from. If you have to "remake" or "reboot", then find something interesting but obscure or forgotten and bring those things back to life.

On a side note that also p**sed me off, imdb.com is now so in bed with Facebook that you apparently cannot comment on news stories unless you log into Facebook. Yeah, that will ensure your commenters are in the target demographic for mindless twaddle. Plus, you can only "like" the news stories with no option to "dislike" them. Useless, self-serving bulls**t.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »

ALL IN THE FAMILY was sheer brilliance - I'm 53 and I grew up watching it.
But I don't think there is any way they can recapture the magic of that cast, plus I don't think that there is anyway today's television producers would have the cojones to tackle some of the social issues that ALL IN THE FAMILY did in the 70's.  Can you name a single contemporary sitcom where the matriarch of the family is raped?  Or the protagonist's daughter has a miscarriage?
Leave ALL IN THE FAMILY alone. You'll never equal it, so don't try! Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 03:44:26 PM »

Somebody already tried that with 704 Hauser.
It bombed.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Paquita

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 08:06:12 PM »

I'm so sorry about that.  I thought the remake train was slowing down.  They were talking about remaking Murder She Wrote a few years ago though and that didn't happen.  Maybe these won't either.

I've complained about remakes before.  I understand the time honored tradition of retelling classic stories (Dracula, A Christmas Carol, etc.), but when movies or TV shows are remade and they use the same name of the original, it just forces us to have to specify which one we really like by inserting the year.

Are you really that upset about Single White Female though?  I'm kind of OK with whatever they want to do with that.

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »

Are you really that upset about Single White Female though?  I'm kind of OK with whatever they want to do with that.

Supposedly, the concept is that the Jennifer Jason Leigh character works for some organization that decides to target the Bridget Fonda character. Once they start their plan to take over her life, they find out their target isn't the plain-jane they thought she was. Which is a fine idea, and might even be interesting, but there is NO NEED to connect it to the movie. ZERO.

In fact, their concept really has no connection to the original movie. But it seems that if they can't connect it to something that someone, somewhere, might remember, then it will have no chance to make it on its own. Now they are going to warp viewers into thinking the original film has some connection to the series when it doesn't.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »

ALL IN THE FAMILY was sheer brilliance - I'm 53 and I grew up watching it.
But I don't think there is any way they can recapture the magic of that cast, plus I don't think that there is anyway today's television producers would have the cojones to tackle some of the social issues that ALL IN THE FAMILY did in the 70's.  Can you name a single contemporary sitcom where the matriarch of the family is raped?  Or the protagonist's daughter has a miscarriage?
Leave ALL IN THE FAMILY alone. You'll never equal it, so don't try! Hatred

My maternal Grandpa had an Archie Bunker for President t-shirt. 

Yeah, leave All in the Family the f**k alone TV networks. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 07:23:09 PM »

Can you name a single contemporary sitcom where the matriarch of the family is raped?  Or the protagonist's daughter has a miscarriage?

How about having a Jewish character killed by a Neo-Nazi car bomb as an episode climax?  Yeah...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Good God, Hollywood, NO!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.