Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:54:59 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Seeing Peter Cushing in Rogue One « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Seeing Peter Cushing in Rogue One  (Read 4436 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« on: December 29, 2016, 04:40:04 AM »

made me think: if only Ed Wood had had these CGI capabilities back then. What a movie Plan 9 from Outer Space would have been!

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Skull
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »

made me think: if only Ed Wood had had these CGI capabilities back then. What a movie Plan 9 from Outer Space would have been!

lol... I'm still for somebody to make a CGI movie by piecing together old (or even unfinished films)... Just like Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)...

It's nice that Disney used Peter Cushing... I still don't feel any NEED to see the new Star Wars film.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »

It's nice that Disney used Peter Cushing... I still don't feel any NEED to see the new Star Wars film.

People keep asking me and I cannot quite muster up sufficient motivation to get me off my chair and go see this one.  Not sure why, I just am not feeling it. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Skull
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »

People keep asking me and I cannot quite muster up sufficient motivation to get me off my chair and go see this one.  Not sure why, I just am not feeling it. 

I think it's because we all saw Star Wars and we all know only one person comes out of the space ship alive. The other pods were shot up except the droids because it was assumed that nobody was inside... [I hope I didn't spoil anything]
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:45:17 AM »

I was pretty impressed with how well Tarkin looked. You can still tell he's CGI, but it's pretty impressive CGI.

Also, the guy who did the voice acting for him is spot-on.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »

Anyone else find it even the least bit ghastly that they're putting dead actors in movies in CGI? I mean, this isn't a Crow type situation where they're trying to finish a film after an important actor died during filming. This is just plopping the guy in there twenty years after his death.

The classic Malcolm paradox. Sure, they can do it, but did they ever stop to think about whether they should?
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »

I was pretty impressed with how well Tarkin looked. You can still tell he's CGI, but it's pretty impressive CGI.

Also, the guy who did the voice acting for him is spot-on.

As i said elsewhere on this forum, I thought he looked quite cadaverous. I'm still not entirely convinced that this whole CGI business is just a cover, and they found some eldritch way of actually bringing Peter Cushing back from the dead.

But perhaps I watch too many dumb movies.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

I LOVED seeing Peter again.  Made me smile.   Smile

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »

CGI or not. They did a good job of it (IMHO.)

As to whether they should do it . . .?
His family approved, because they had to get their approval to do it.

The question I have is whether he'll ever get a film credit for his appearance. As his appearance lasted longer than some of his film credited appearances in other films. Which is actually what took me by surprise. While I expected to see him, I did not expect such a lengthy appearance in the film.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:12:03 AM »

Randomly I was wondering what would happen if a CGI'd actor was nominated for an award?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
dean

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »

Randomly I was wondering what would happen if a CGI'd actor was nominated for an award?

Don't think they can just yet but surely Andy Serkis is circling that one like a hawk

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »

...his appearance lasted longer than some of his film credited appearances in other films. Which is actually what took me by surprise. While I expected to see him, I did not expect such a lengthy appearance in the film.

That surprised me, too.  I was expecting a token cameo toward the end. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »

This could easily become an ethics issue. Mark my words, we will see more dead actors returning in movies. Princess leigha will return! She will probably be in the next 5 sequels. This is the future, the technology is almost there. Why woyld you pay a real actor 10s of millions of dollars when you can just have a computer do anything you want? No contracts, no red tape, no demands or negotiations, no stunt doubles, wardrobes, or anything.  Thats the future. Sorry for any misspells.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:54 AM »

For me, the CG'd in actors were yooky and distracting.     No sir, I don't like it!        Example:  Gollum in the LOTR.   NOT a real person, didn't resemble a real person, but the live-capture acting and animation had me suspend my disbelief.  Awesome character.   But trying to make someone look CG'd in but real?  Really, really distracting and off-putting.  (Yes, the whole uncanny valley thing.  It's real.)     When the CG gets a lot better, it'll eventually work.   Well, probably.   But we're definitely not there yet.

When it comes to disc I'll watch it again, but my first go through this movie has me wondering how people are gaga about it.  I don't get it.  But, guess it wasn't my thing.   My favorite moments in the movie mostly had nothing to do with the characters (about which I cared not a bit):

1.  Vader rampage,
2.  Star destroyer collision,
3.  The droid.  Whatever his name was.  Wash's voice droid.   

Well, okay.

4.  The blind not-quite-really-a-jedi guy.  He was pretty watchable.

The rest was just not interesting or engaging.  Did I have the queasy feeling of wishing the movie was actually fun (like when I watched Episode II)?  No, no, I didn't.  But was I waiting for something to spark some connection between me and the characters?   You betcha.       I liked the ending -- not a happy ending, no Hollywood neat bow.   But c'mawn... it was all pretty hackneyed and there was nothing to draw me into giving a damn about any of them.

Show me some moments in the film that drew some pathos, some connection with the characters.   'cause I've named most of the moments in the movie I can remember!
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 06:38:31 AM »

For me, the CG'd in actors were yooky and distracting.     No sir, I don't like it!        Example:  Gollum in the LOTR.   NOT a real person, didn't resemble a real person, but the live-capture acting and animation had me suspend my disbelief.  Awesome character.   But trying to make someone look CG'd in but real?  Really, really distracting and off-putting.  (Yes, the whole uncanny valley thing.  It's real.)     When the CG gets a lot better, it'll eventually work.   Well, probably.   But we're definitely not there yet.

When it comes to disc I'll watch it again, but my first go through this movie has me wondering how people are gaga about it.  I don't get it.  But, guess it wasn't my thing.   My favorite moments in the movie mostly had nothing to do with the characters (about which I cared not a bit):

1.  Vader rampage,
2.  Star destroyer collision,
3.  The droid.  Whatever his name was.  Wash's voice droid.   

Well, okay.

4.  The blind not-quite-really-a-jedi guy.  He was pretty watchable.

The rest was just not interesting or engaging.  Did I have the queasy feeling of wishing the movie was actually fun (like when I watched Episode II)?  No, no, I didn't.  But was I waiting for something to spark some connection between me and the characters?   You betcha.       I liked the ending -- not a happy ending, no Hollywood neat bow.   But c'mawn... it was all pretty hackneyed and there was nothing to draw me into giving a damn about any of them.

Show me some moments in the film that drew some pathos, some connection with the characters.   'cause I've named most of the moments in the movie I can remember!

Cinemassacre does a spot-on review of Rogue One on You Tube. They point out that the characters are all interesting, but not too interesting, likeable but not quite enough for you to get too attached since this is a one-off movie. I've seen some calling this the best movie in the franchise, which I don't understand at all--the character are bland and hard to care about overall, the story is good but overly drawn out in spots, and the Empire has the least efficient library system in the known universe.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Seeing Peter Cushing in Rogue One « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.