Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:22:44 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  2017: going off the Internet « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2017: going off the Internet  (Read 9956 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 03, 2017, 05:52:51 AM »

Just before I start this: no way in hell am I leaving here.  Smile

After a horrible 2016 - personal, bad and work quite often awful - one of my 2017 resolutions is to use this thing called the Internet less and less.

The world is just depressing the heck out of me and the less I know what is going on, the better. I am actually scared that because of my ever changing moods, I will one day post something that will get me suspended or worse so its' better not to post at all.

I'll be closing my FB account soon - if I can - but will continue to be on here as this is my home.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »

Bluesad

So sorry it has been that rough.  Wishing you every success in turning that around.  Even if it means hearing from you less often.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »

Bluesad

So sorry it has been that rough.  Wishing you every success in turning that around.  Even if it means hearing from you less often.

Thanks: I just feel that I am too aware of what is happening in the world - all the celeb passings in 2016 really rattled me, including the passing of my friend and mentor Jans Rautenbach - so I feel I must just disconnect. I'm even getting rid of my smartphone.

But I will always be here.  Smile

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »

I don't know if this helps at all, Trevor, but true happiness should come from yourself, who you are, and not be so easily swayed by events.  The world rolls on, people live and die, idiots are gonna be idiots.  The only thing we can really control is our own lives.
Glad you will still be here, though.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »

Wish you and all a better year. If you can get off of social media and get rid of your smart phone, I commend you. Things things have been scientifically proven to make us unhappy, even depressed. As far as being aware, i think you should stay aware, knowledge is a heavy burden.  I often get bummed out myself, getting away helps. Sometimes being cynical or just making fun of everything helps. The world is going to hell, you cant stop it, but you can still enjoy the ride.  I realized that when im seeing things and connecting the dots, i can get a little depressed or angry. Its because i care and not just some mindless idiot robot obsessed with football and the kardashians. I encourage you to post on fb and get kicked off, might as well go out with a blast. Stay here with us, though. Nothing wrong with enjoying badmovies!

exterminate all rational thought.....
Paquita

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »

Good idea!  I really hope this works for you!  I decided long ago to steer clear of news and keep away from the things and people that make me unproductive and a less effective person.  Some people are fortunate enough to take hype and global tragedies in stride, but not everyone can do that.  I’m the type of person where if someone tells me the sky is falling, I will tell them to shut up and then silently panic about it for months even if I logically understand it’s not true, or know that even if it was true, there’s nothing I can do to fix it so it’s only useless and damaging information to me.   I, like others, subconsciously connect events and try to put meaning to them and if I’m constantly being fed negativity, my mind will create a greater negative purpose which, to say the least, can significantly diminish my quality of life.  By focusing on the people and events that I can actually make a difference in, I am much more productive and positive.  I can’t rid the world of evil and sadness, but on a small scale I can help by giving my friends and family a place to turn to in times of crisis and I always try to provide them with the understanding, comfort, love and attention that will hopefully help them to lead more peaceful lives and be more productive themselves.

I totally support your decision!  I’m so sorry to hear of your recent loss and that you had a rough year. You have always been such a cheerful ray of light here and I hope it stays that way!

Skull
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »

After a horrible 2016 - personal, bad and work quite often awful - one of my 2017 resolutions is to use this thing called the Internet less and less.

The world is just depressing the heck out of me and the less I know what is going on, the better. I am actually scared that because of my ever changing moods, I will one day post something that will get me suspended or worse so its' better not to post at all.

I'll be closing my FB account soon - if I can - but will continue to be on here as this is my home.  Smile

I will miss you...
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »

Trevor, I understand your reasons for stepping away from technology as much as possible. I tend to think that some of my depression stems from dwelling on things I see online. Facebook has always been a source of stress, which is why I stepped away from it a few years ago.

Sadly, you will most likely still be forced to hear things you may not want to hear. Most everyone I know is attached to their phones at the hip, and they constantly blurt out things they see online that I don't want to know about.

Hang in there, sir. Focus on your own corner of the world, and make your personal garden grow.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:38:24 AM »

We'll miss you Trev, though not for the undies. TongueOut

yeah no.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 01:37:34 AM »

I don't know if this helps at all, Trevor, but true happiness should come from yourself, who you are, and not be so easily swayed by events.  The world rolls on, people live and die, idiots are gonna be idiots.  The only thing we can really control is our own lives.
Glad you will still be here, though.

With that in mind, since my birthday in September 2001, I've become increasingly depressed and unhappy with life and things in general - I do still laugh and smile a lot - and at how in my almost 50th year on this earth things seem to be rapidly turning to crap. I don't know.  Bluesad

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »

Wish you and all a better year. If you can get off of social media and get rid of your smart phone, I commend you. Things things have been scientifically proven to make us unhappy, even depressed. As far as being aware, i think you should stay aware, knowledge is a heavy burden.  I often get bummed out myself, getting away helps. Sometimes being cynical or just making fun of everything helps. The world is going to hell, you cant stop it, but you can still enjoy the ride.  I realized that when im seeing things and connecting the dots, i can get a little depressed or angry. Its because i care and not just some mindless idiot robot obsessed with football and the kardashians. I encourage you to post on fb and get kicked off, might as well go out with a blast. Stay here with us, though. Nothing wrong with enjoying badmovies!

Thanks for the nice words.  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »

Good idea!  I really hope this works for you!  I decided long ago to steer clear of news and keep away from the things and people that make me unproductive and a less effective person.  Some people are fortunate enough to take hype and global tragedies in stride, but not everyone can do that.  I’m the type of person where if someone tells me the sky is falling, I will tell them to shut up and then silently panic about it for months even if I logically understand it’s not true, or know that even if it was true, there’s nothing I can do to fix it so it’s only useless and damaging information to me.   I, like others, subconsciously connect events and try to put meaning to them and if I’m constantly being fed negativity, my mind will create a greater negative purpose which, to say the least, can significantly diminish my quality of life.  By focusing on the people and events that I can actually make a difference in, I am much more productive and positive.  I can’t rid the world of evil and sadness, but on a small scale I can help by giving my friends and family a place to turn to in times of crisis and I always try to provide them with the understanding, comfort, love and attention that will hopefully help them to lead more peaceful lives and be more productive themselves.

I totally support your decision!  I’m so sorry to hear of your recent loss and that you had a rough year. You have always been such a cheerful ray of light here and I hope it stays that way!

Hugs SisterP  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 01:43:41 AM »

Trevor, I understand your reasons for stepping away from technology as much as possible. I tend to think that some of my depression stems from dwelling on things I see online. Facebook has always been a source of stress, which is why I stepped away from it a few years ago.

Sadly, you will most likely still be forced to hear things you may not want to hear. Most everyone I know is attached to their phones at the hip, and they constantly blurt out things they see online that I don't want to know about.

Hang in there, sir. Focus on your own corner of the world, and make your personal garden grow.

Thanks, BrotherJava  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:11:04 AM »

We'll miss you Trev, though not for the undies. TongueOut

Got some clean ones for Christmas  Wink

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 02:11:46 AM »

I will miss you...

Thanks but I am staying here.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  2017: going off the Internet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.