Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:04:31 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  GYMKATA (1985) ~ Dumb film « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GYMKATA (1985) ~ Dumb film  (Read 12528 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: January 08, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

I watched GYMKATA (1985) last night on TCM.  Where the hell else on TV would one get the "opportunity" to look at this sh!t???  Question  

There is no live sound in this film (I could detect); it's all dubbed.  I particularly enjoyed the crushing sound effects and that bad red sweater KURT THOMAS wore through much of the beginning.  The '80s sweater looks like a TARGET - why not?  In this muddled mess of a movie, dumb is the calling card.  Thankfully, KURT THOMAS has no acting ability which makes his participation almost forgiveable.  

Nearly ZERO production values, a dopey script, and that convenient pommel horse Andrew wrote about, I cannot recommend enough the incredible cheeziness of this craptastic messterpiece for BADMOVIE lovers.  GYMKATA is as good as BAD can get.  

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »

Possibly one of the greatest movies ever made. Many a critique has been written about this unique cinematic masterpiece. It is a tradgedy that we never saw any sequels or dare I say, a remake........

exterminate all rational thought.....
claws
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »

This was a must-buy when it hit DVD back in the day for me. I was already fond of it's badness in VHS days  Smile
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:03:28 AM »

I watched GYMKATA (1985) last night on TCM.  Where the hell else on TV would one get the "opportunity" to look at this sh!t???  Question  

There is no live sound in this film (I could detect); it's all dubbed.  I particularly enjoyed the crushing sound effects and that bad red sweater KURT THOMAS wore through much of the beginning.  The '80s sweater looks like a TARGET - why not?  In this muddled mess of a movie, dumb is the calling card.  Thankfully, KURT THOMAS has no acting ability which makes his participation almost forgiveable.  

Nearly ZERO production values, a dopey script, and that convenient pommel horse Andrew wrote about, I cannot recommend enough the incredible cheeziness of this craptastic messterpiece for BADMOVIE lovers.  GYMKATA is as good as BAD can get.  

I will cheerfully admit (a) to liking this for its' very badness and (b) to owning it on DVD: Region 1, believe it or not.

I also saw this in a cinema in 1986 - full attendance. No place to swing an amoeba.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
major jay
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »

One of my favs. It's entertaining the whole way through and Kurt 'the monkey boy' Thomas it's crowning jewel.
Has anyone ever noticed the guy who got run over by the horse at the beginning of the first race? Damn, that had to hurt! 

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »

One of my favs. It's entertaining the whole way through and Kurt 'the monkey boy' Thomas it's crowning jewel.
Has anyone ever noticed the guy who got run over by the horse at the beginning of the first race? Damn, that had to hurt! 

Agreed, and this guy?  Buggedout Buggedout

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »

I will cheerfully admit (a) to liking this for its' very badness and (b) to owning it on DVD: Region 1, believe it or not.

I also saw this in a cinema in 1986 - full attendance. No place to swing an amoeba.  Wink
Of course you own it!  You da man! 
Initially, I searched for a GYMKATA thread, but nothing was recent enough, so I started this one.  In that process, though, I did see that you not ONLY own this epic garbage, but also had seen it NEW !!!  You were probably in the only theatre in the world that was crowded to see it.  It's truly rotten.  I applaud thee. 

Archivist

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »

This was another VHS-rental for my Dad and I.  Superbly bad.  Superbly.  It was a bit of a trip to see Tadashi Yamas**ta as the trainer, recognizing him from the pages of the martial arts magazines I was reading at the time.

Edited to add: looks like the forum auto-censor blew a hole in the middle of a Japanese actor's name.  So you can't write Matsus**ta, Yamas**ta or other Japanese words like arigato gozaimas**ta or kashkomarimas**ta.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:52:10 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:59 PM »

This was another VHS-rental for my Dad and I.  Superbly bad.  Superbly.  It was a bit of a trip to see Tadashi Yamas**ta as the trainer, recognizing him from the pages of the martial arts magazines I was reading at the time.
GYMKATA is superbly bad.  Jaw droppingly superb. 

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 01:54:24 AM »

In that process, though, I did see that you not ONLY own this epic garbage, but also had seen it NEW !!!  You were probably in the only theatre in the world that was crowded to see it.  It's truly rotten.  I applaud thee. 

TeddyR TeddyR

The Gweru Theatre (actually a theatre but they also screened films) in Zimbabwe was where I saw it. I remember it well and the fact that the theatre was full.  TeddyR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gweru : my home town.

major jay

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »

Has to suck to be a lowly flag ninja...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:19:35 PM by major jay » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »

Has to suck to be a lowly flag ninja...
Uhm... what is a "flag ninja"?

major jay

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:17:24 PM by major jay » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »

Oh yes, a flag ninja!  Duh.   TeddyR

major jay

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »

Yeah, I know. That was a pretty vague reference.  Drink

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  GYMKATA (1985) ~ Dumb film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.