Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:50:25 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, crap, web design isn't what it used to be... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Well, crap, web design isn't what it used to be...  (Read 3074 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »

So, first quick background... I graduated in 2007 with a degree in Information Technology.  Basically, it's kind of a "catch all" for working in various computer related fields.  I learned a bit of Java, bit of Databasing, bit of Web Design, bit of Networking, and some stuff here and there.  To be honest, I got into the field cause I wanted to be a Web Design (or, do something creative.)  But, by the time I found out that IT isn't really focused on that (or at least the University I went to wasn't really focused on that), it was about midway through year three of my college career.  So, I figured I'd stick with it.  In retrospect, I wish I'd taken another degree and just did the web design classes on the side.  

Long story short, wasn't able to get a job with my degree.

Fast forward to a few months ago.  I signed up for a class in Programming.  We've been learning Python and now we're in a chapter dealing with Web Design.  For various reason, I was "out" of the computer world for a couple of years, so I didn't really keep up with the latest in technology.  In my Web Design class back in college, we spent a little time learning the basics of HTML and coding by hand and then we switched over to Dreamweaver, which kind of like.. I dunno, if you could design a page with Microsoft Word, I guess.  (Well, technically, you can but you get the idea.)

But, I've been told such things like Dreamweaver (and whatever Microsoft's one was) have fallen out of favor.  Mainly because they're best for creating static (ie unchanging) websites, instead of a dynamic ones (like what's prevalent today.)  

So, what does everyone use now?  Well, apparently, they just boot up text editors, type everything in by hand, and put most of the fancy stuff in a separate CSS sheet..  

I have to admit this has been a bit of a stumbling block for me.  For starters, there's a lot of memorization, terms and formatting and such.  Not to mention the methods are slightly different when you're formatting in HTML and when you're formatting in a CSS page.  So, basically, now it's type some stuff in the editor, switch to the browser, hit refresh, see the change, go back to the text editor, type some stuff, hit refresh, see the changes, etc.  

I don't know, just really having trouble working this way.  I guess I'm more a "visual" person.  I like to see how things are going to look while I'm doing them.  Get in a picture in my mind and then try to build what I'm doing from there.  But when I'm constantly switching from code to the result, it breaks my flow.  

I'm not going to quit the class or anything, all I'm saying is  I'm just kind of bugged that the way I used to like doing things in this area isn't relevant anymore.  And, admittedly, I do find it weird that, even in 2017, programs based on command prompts still seem to be the dominant (and some say best) way to do things.  

Just need to blab for a bit, thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:39:26 PM by AoTFan » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »

One word: WordPress. Makes professional web designers nearly obsolete.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AoTFan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »

Well, we're using web design to sequeway into application design.  So, dunno..
Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »

But, I've been told such things like Dreamweaver (and whatever Microsoft's one was) have fallen out of favor.  Mainly because they're best for creating statis (ie unchanging) websites, instead of a dynamic ones (like what's prevalent today.) 

For all the hoopla about dynamic HTML, I see no real changes in what web pages offer.  They let you read text, look at pictures, and click on links to other web pages. Why must I download a 1megabyte java-script program each time I want to see text & pictures, when my web browser is already capable of displaying text and pictures perfectly well without all that? 

Oh, and Microsoft's competitor to Dreamweaver was called FrontPage. FrontPage is no longer available, but I think Adobe still offers a version of Dreamweaver.

So, what does everyone use know?  Well, apparently, they just boot up text editors, type everything in by hand, and put most of the fancy stuff in a separate CSS sheet..

I have to admit this has been a bit of a stumbling block for me.  For starters, there's a lot of memories, terms and formatting and such.  Not to mention the methods are slightly different when you're formatting in HTML and when you're formatting in a CSS page.  So, basically, now it's type some stuff in the editor, switch to the browser, hit refresh, see the change, go back to the text editor, type some stuff, hit refresh, see the changes, etc. 

CSS does have an advantage; you can set up different display settings for different clients.  Viewing a page on a cell phone, with a screen reader, or on a desktop PC are different experiences, which demand different settings.  (Yeah, you've heard that, but it bears repeating.)

I don't know why the W3C didn't just say "Alright everyone, put all the FONT tags in this separate document over here."  There must be a good reason; I'd hate to think they made their own formatting to get back at Mozilla and Microsoft for making up a bunch of tags.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »

This reminds me. Does anybody here remember this website?

Word of warning. When I went on the website it automatically downloaded a file called "mapleleafrag.mid" to my computer.
I'm pretty sure it isn't malware but you may want to delete it and run a scan after you click that link.

sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:05 PM »

Word of warning. When I went on the website it automatically downloaded a file called "mapleleafrag.mid" to my computer.
I'm pretty sure it isn't malware but you may want to delete it and run a scan after you click that link.

Holy s**t!  What the f**k was that?

Anyways, here's the Buzzfeed article on the site.  Here's the site on archive.org - which might be safer than the other site.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:24:36 PM by sprite75 » Logged

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
AoTFan

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:08 PM »

You referring to the site in general or the file?  If it's the latter, then I assume it's a midi music file (but I'm not gonna try to open it to find out.)

If you're referring to the site in general, then I can't answer that question.
AlbertMond
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »

I agree with the basic premise of the thread title in that the popular approach to web design right now is somehow both boring and inconvenient. Also, browsers should be able to autoplay midis still.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »

You referring to the site in general or the file?  If it's the latter, then I assume it's a midi music file (but I'm not gonna try to open it to find out.)

If you're referring to the site in general, then I can't answer that question.

I thought it was a MIDI file too, but the extension is just MID.
I don't care enough to investigate.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

While I'm at it, check out this comic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:05:02 AM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, crap, web design isn't what it used to be... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.