Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:53 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Episode VIII has a name now. Star Wars: The Last Jedi. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: Episode VIII has a name now. Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  (Read 77101 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »

This is the latest Star Wars thing to blow up the internetz...

Disney revealed on Monday morning that the next installment of the main Star Wars saga will be titled Star Wars: The Last Jedi. As was previously confirmed, Rian Johnson is the film’s director, Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman are the producers and J.J. Abrams serves as the executive producer this time around.

Unfortunately, Disney wasn’t ready to share any other details about the highly anticipated sequel. Fans have been anxiously awaiting any news regarding Episode VIII since the day The Force Awakens arrived in theaters in 2015. No trailers or images from the set or even a basic synopsis were revealed, so for now, we’ll have to speculate about the movie based on the title alone.

The Last Jedi would imply that by the end of Episode VIII, there will only be one Jedi remaining in the Star Wars universe. If that’s the case, are we to believe that Luke Skywalker is the only Jedi remaining? Or will he die during the course of the new movie, making Rey the last Jedi around to stand up to the First Order?

Sadly, we’ll have to wait until the end of the year to find out. Episode VIII was originally slated to launch this summer, but it was eventually delayed to December 15th, 2017. The good news is that now that the movie has a title, it shouldn’t be too long before the first trailer arrives.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Archivist

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

"The Last Jedi".  Sounds intriguing.  I'm reminded of the 'Revenge of the Jedi' naming issue back at the release of the third film, and wondering if they will change it at the last moment. 

"The Second Last Jedi". 
"The Penultimate Jedi". 
"The Parapenultimate Jedi".

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
dean

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

You can never have a last anything in a multi billion dollar franchise...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:31:50 PM »

Interesting title.
It clearly refers to Luke Skywalker. What is less clear is whether he'll survive to Episode IX. What works with that idea is that Han Solo was killed off in Episode VII. On the other hand, with Carrie Fisher's most lamented death, and the vow from the filmmakers that there'll be not CGI General Leia in Episode IX, if Luke is killed off in Episode VIII, that leaves no major character from the original trilogy in Episode IX. But we'll see what we'll see.

Teaser trailer
Pushed back to April, 2017, so it can be 1st shown at the Star Wars Celebration, which is in Orlando (Florida) this year. Which has left some people the idea that we'll get a teaser for the teaser in March, 2017, as originally promised. And probably, while it won't be totally finished by April, 2017, Star Wars Land, at Disney's Hollywood Studio at Walt Disney World, should have something up and running. I can't see it otherwise.

Uncle vs. Nephew
Not much of a surprise, as we already know that Kylo Ren is the son of Han Solo and General Leia from Episode VII, which would make Luke Skywalker his uncle. As Kylo confronts Luke.

Look at all the little Kylo Rens running around.
From what I have seen to date, there does seem to be a generational gap in villains. Children preferring Kylo, while their adult parents prefer Darth Vader. Which makes some sense, as our 1st is normally our 1st.

How dark can you go?
Rumor also has it that this will be the darkest Star Wars yet. From that dark director/writer Rian Johnson, who is also scheduled to do the story treatment for Episode IX. And so far, the true fans, not those who complain thus so they complain, seem to be down with that, or, at least, they are not complaining yet.

The old makes way for the new.
Thus, will there be an Episode X, 4 years from now in 2021. It's possible. And while the old has to make way for the new, it kind of hurts for someone who saw the original in the theater back in 1977.
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »

I think Mark Hamill is still signed up to play Luke in Episode IX.  Of course one can never be too sure which way things will go.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 06:03:57 PM »

It clearly refers to Luke Skywalker.

But ONLY Luke Skywalker?  Jedi is both plural and singular in English.  There has been a lot of speculation about Romance language translations of the title, as they'll have to put it singular or plural there.
Archivist

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »

How dark can you go?
Rumor also has it that this will be the darkest Star Wars yet. From that dark director/writer Rian Johnson, who is also scheduled to do the story treatment for Episode IX. And so far, the true fans, not those who complain thus so they complain, seem to be down with that, or, at least, they are not complaining yet.

The old makes way for the new.
Thus, will there be an Episode X, 4 years from now in 2021. It's possible. And while the old has to make way for the new, it kind of hurts for someone who saw the original in the theater back in 1977.

When I saw Rian Johnson's Looper I found some parts of it very disturbing.  Particularly the 'let's slowly chop up someone in the past and watch their future counterpart slowly lose limbs in the future'.  While they didn't show any of the dismemberment, the disintegrating person and the bloodsoaked body on the operating table gave me the screaming heebie jeebies.

And yes, the old giving way to the new is sad.  I don't even consider Episodes 1-3 to be canon, anyway, so I don't see it as Star Wars X, more like Star Wars 6.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

It clearly refers to Luke Skywalker.

But ONLY Luke Skywalker?  Jedi is both plural and singular in English.  There has been a lot of speculation about Romance language translations of the title, as they'll have to put it singular or plural there.

And just when one thought one knew what the title meant.
yes. Thank-you. That's what I get for not being bilingual, as I am thinking solely in English. Though, I have been recently reminded that Jedi is both singular and plural in English. Though, here are some more guesses to plot elements (by others)

There will always be Sky Walkers
Right now there are 3 known Sky Walkers.
1st General Leia
--who'll die. More on this later.
--who'll survive, but be written out of the series.

2nd Luke
--who'll die, but become a Force Ghost like Obi Wan Kenobi
--who'll survive, but seeing his twin sister, General Leia, die, drives him to the Dark Side.

3rd Kylo Ren
--who'll come over to the Light.

and Rey (?)
--whose father is Luke.
--Though, there is some thought that her grandfather is Obi Wan Kenobi.
---She'll wield . . .
---Luke's light saber, which he has passed on to her.
---a double bladed light saber, like the one Darth Maul wielded.

Battles of the centuries
--Luke vs. Kylo Ren
--Rey vs. Kylo Ren
--Luke and Rey vs. Kylo Ren
--Luke vs. the Knights of Ren
--Luke's Jedi students vs. the Knights of Ren (in a flashback)
--We'll see a double bladed light saber somewhere in the film, since it's been spotted in the props department.

A flavor given. A flavor returned.
Watch for director Gareth Edwards in Episode VIII. Since he put director Rian Johnson in Rogue One. Rian Johnson is returning the favor.

Crossovers
Those who have analyzed the trailers for Spider-man : Homecoming and Guardians of the Galaxy, vol 2 have said that there are Easter eggs for Star Wars in the trailers.

Character development
Beth Revis
Rebel Rising
more on Jyn Erso
targeted audience: young adult

Greg Rucka
Guardians of the Whills
more on Chirrot Imve and Baze Malbus
targeted audience: middle grades

If one wants to ignore the targeted audience, both books should be out on May 2.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »

I'll pump out info on the film, as I come cross it, till it opens in December, 2017, for those who are interested.

The title: the Last Jedi
Well, it's official. The Last Jedi refers to the plural and not the singular. So who are the Jedi or the Jedi in training.
Luke Skywalker (of course)
Rey (from the artwork for Star Wars : Force Friday II--more on that later, she looks to be Luke's 1st padawan, since his self-imposed exile)
Kylo Ren (who is believed to have been the last person trained in the Way of the Jedi by Luke, ere he went into exile)
Snoke (who is rumored to have been a Jedi at one time)

A Secret Jedi in Every Episode
Episode VIII: Daniel Craig
Episode IX: it looks to be Tom Hardy this time.

Upcoming Events
If you want to know more about the film, ere it opens, there are 2 upcoming events that should provide the know.

1st Star Wars : Force Friday II
We know the what and the when (in September) but it is still too early to know much about the who and the where.

Star Wars Celebration
in April in Orlando (Florida) With an expected look at the 1st trailer for the film and a sizzler reel. Though, it might not be a good time to visit Orlando unless you are going for the Celebration, as they are not only expecting a ton of visitors from North America, but fans flying in from South America and Europe, as they are advertising it in Columbia, Portugal, Spain, etc.

Other Star Wars films
The Han, Lando, Chewbacca solo film just started shooting this month in England with a release date in 2018.
And the word seems to be out that we are going to get a solo Yoda film sometime in the future.

More as it becomes available.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:33:34 PM »

Look for . . .

more episodes after Episode IX.
2021 Episode X
2023 Episode XI
2025 Episode XII

Which would then make more sense for these stand-alone films. Though, these are not necessary the ones that will happen nor the order in which they will appear.
2020 an Yoda
2022 an Obi Wan Kenobi. Most probably his adventures between Episode III and Episode Iv, which would put him on Tatooine.
2024 a Boba Fett. Maybe in the underworld on Coruscant. If so, this may lead to a TV series, as the powers that be have wanted for a long time to do such a series. They have just not found a financially feasible way to do it.

a push to bring the 2018 Star Wars Celebration to Barcelona (Spain.) Which makes a bit of sense, as when Disney Cruise Line sails the Med, they homeport in Barcelona, so a Star Wars Day at Sea could tie in with the Celebration. And then the 2019 Star Wars Celebration would be back in the USA, which is the year that Star Wars Land will officially open at Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

the skies to be come greyer, as the Star Wars Universe veers from black vs. white to more shades of gray vs. grey, Including Episode VIII.

for the original trilogy to return to theaters in the way that it was meant to be seen, if an agreement can be reached with 20th Century Fox, who has the rights to the 3 films.

And for Mark Hamill to tote home an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor from next year's Academy Award. If not an Oscar, then a nomination, as those who have seen his performance in Episode VIII, say it is best work to date.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »

Adios Barcelona.

There won't be a Star Wars Celebration in 2018. Which is not that unusual, as they have been held in consecutive years only since 2015, even if the 1st one was in 1999. The next one, after this year's, will be in 2019. More on that later.

So, what will we get at this year's Star Wars Celebration.
A teaser trailer for Star Wars : the Last Jedi.
What is upcoming in 2018.
Maybe some answers to these questions.

Yoda
Will he appear as a force ghost?

Han Solo
Now that he is dead, will he get a funeral scene in the film?

Kylo Ren
Now that he has killed his father, how much trouble is he in?
--Will there be a bounty placed on him?
--Will there be people out there who simply want to avenge Han Solo's death?
That's externally. How about internally?
--Will it take him to the Light side?
Does he have any feelings for Rey, as Snoke thinks he does?
--And will he express these feelings to Rey?

Rey
Who is her father?
--And will any feelings that Kylo Ren have for her, make it less or more likely that she is Luke's daughter?

As for 2019 and 2017, if you live on the West coast and do not want to travel to Orlando (Florida,) there's the D23 Expo with all things House of Mouse.
TV . . . theme parks -- recordings . . . publishing -- merchandise . . . films -- cruise ships . . . and adventure tours.
+ Star Wars . . . Pixar . . . Marvel.

40,000 people are expected to attend for the 4th largest convention in 2017 at the Anaheim Convention Center (Anaheim, California)
And in 2019, Star Wars Land should be finished at Disneyland. With 14 acres of shopping . . . food -- drink . . . and attractions.
What interests me is the cantina, like the one in Episode IV, that is suppose to be coming.

Next time: more as it becomes available
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »

And they'll be lining up, ere the sun is up, if not the night before. Unofficially, if is official that the teaser trailer for Episode VIII will be seen at the 2017 Star Wars Celebration in Orlando (Florida.) It will be shown at the largest auditorium at the Convention Center and live streamed to the other auditoriums, and there still probably be not enough room for everyone.

Since Episode VII retread the other episodes, it is thought that Episode VIII might go off in a somewhat different direction.

Episode VII is now out in a graphic format, and (IMHO) us worth checking out for . . .
1st. It is a good source for the character and planet names.
2nd. It is a reference back to how well made and written Episode VII was. (Comparative speaking.)
3rd. It adds fuel to the question of who is Snoke? If Snoke seduced Kylo Ren to the Dark Side for the power of Ren, then why. Which may be answered by answering who is Snoke.

Actually, most of the graphic series by Marvel Comics are worth checking out (IMHO.) All the usual suspects are there.

Chewbacca
Darth Vader. 1 series ended. Another begins.
Han Solo
Lando
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia. Now General Leia
and even Yoda.

But, unlike when Dark Horse had the graphic novel rights to the Star War characters, Marvel has opened it up to other characters.

Poe Dameron
Obi Wan and Anakin, the early years.
Kanan, who I think is more interesting as a child than an adult.
And hardly my favorite character in the Star Wars Universe, but the 1st comic book character popular enough to get her own series Dr. Aphra

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »

The only news I have found is that the teaser trailer for the film will be shown before the films Guardians of the Galaxy II and Pirates of the Caribbean V, or everything feeds off of everything else.

As for the other upcoming films, it just verifies what we already know for the most part.

2018 Han Solo solo film
or covering the character from the years 18 to 24 and how he obtained a certain space ship + met a certain Wookie.

2019 Episode IX

2020 Obi Wan Kenobi solo film
Most likely on his life on Tatooine. And Ewan McGregor is down with returning as Obi Wan.

2021 Boba Fett. Not a solo film, but a group bounty hunter film w/ Boba Fett.
Some see the film similar to other films, but I see it similar to The Magnificent 7 or The Magnificent 7 Bounty Hunters.
And with bounty hunters such as . . .
Zam Wessell -- Kenix Kil -- Ig-88 -- Jango Fett -- Embo -- Dengar -- Cad Bane -- Bossk -- Boba Fett -- Aurra Sing -- Asajj Vantress -- and 4-Lom.
Depending on when the story takes place, they won't need to bring in a new character.
And while some of these, I find to be the least interesting characters, in the Star Wars Universe, I do find the concept of the film, if it is done correctly, and there is no guarantee that it'll be, to be one of the most interesting.

2022 A teen romance
Understand the filmmakers are almost always looking to so something different, and while this may be the most controversial, it has already been done, if not in film, then in book form in Claudia Gray's Journey to Star Wars : the Force Awakens : Lost Star : which while an YA novel, is regarded as being one of the best novels in the Star Wars Universe. And if the filmmakers can take this and put it on film, then they may have something, or instead of film to book, it is book to film.

2023 The filmmakers take a break in an effort to try to get 1 or more Star Wars series on TV. Something they have wanted to do for a long time and to prep for what looks to be Episodes X-XII.

Other news . . .

Hayden Christensen is expected to show up at the soon to be Star Wars Celebration in Orlando (Florida.) The last time he attended one of these was in 2002.

A 6-issue comic book of Rogue One upcoming. And unlike the other comic books made from the films, this one is suppose to include additional scenes not seen in the film and fills in the gaps in the film, including the 8 years, from 8 to 16, that Jyn Erso spent with Saw Gerrera.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »

Nothing on Episode VIII yet. Though, we should get something after the Star Wars Celebration this weekend. Still, there are some things to add.

Another bounty hunter not mentioned previously is the Wookie bounty hunter Black Krrsantan. Thus, there should be enough bounty hunters, that when and if they do a film on bounty hunters, they shouldn't have to create any new bounty hunters for the film.

Darth Maul, not mentioned, is that he is popular enough to get his own comic book series, which I have not seen.

40 years of Star Wars + 40 stories + o'er 40 writers = Star Wars Anthology, which should be out later this year.

One thing I like about the "new" Star Wars as opposed to the "old" Star Wars is the books, like the above, and the comic books. Not only do I think they are on the average better written, but like the above they often reference the lesser known characters.

Archivist

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 04:49:56 AM »

Aaaaand for those who missed it, the teaser trailer is up.

! No longer available Small | Large

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Episode VIII has a name now. Star Wars: The Last Jedi. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.