Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:31:38 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  RIP to the IMDB message boards « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP to the IMDB message boards  (Read 3200 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »

I used to like them and made some friends on there but of late, they've become hateful and very spiteful: I remember saying that the movie Invictus was full of inaccuracies about the SA situation in 1995 and I got flamed, people said that I was a supporter of the apartheid authorities for criticizing a movie like that.  Buggedout

Nahh, I won't miss the boards after they close permanently.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »

Double Bummer

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:02:15 PM »

From the looks of the announcement, they're going to delete all the content too.  That bugs me.  Even if I was never able to get an account (they wanted my phone or credit card number) I still liked the forum.  There was a link to it at the bottom of every movie's page; the comments, tho sometimes harsh, provided extra info on the movie.  I'll miss that. Doubly sad: the Internet Archive can't crawl IMDb's forum; the robot.txt file blocks them. Even the forum closing announcement is blocked.  Hatred

(I already posted most of this on another website.)
Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »

I used to like them and made some friends on there but of late, they've become hateful and very spiteful: I remember saying that the movie Invictus was full of inaccuracies about the SA situation in 1995 and I got flamed, people said that I was a supporter of the apartheid authorities for criticizing a movie like that.  Buggedout

Amazing with all the hoops folk would have to go through to join, IMDb still wound up with a toxic culture. 

Here's the closing announcement: http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

Oddly, IMDb still has a large archive of Usenet postings: http://www.imdb.com/reviews/index.html
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »

I think some of this is due to the huge blow-back the IMDB and people like Paul Feig got over the Ghostbusters reboot, as well as the public's damming of films which led to bad word of mouth about films.  It's OK to give your opinion on films but - unlike here - the words on those message boards turned to hateful rhetoric very quickly which is sad.

Incidentally, when I first used this thing called the Internetz in 1997  Buggedout the first site I went to was the IMDB and the first film I saw advertised on the net was Event Horizon, which said it was a cheerful, cuddly, family comedy.  Buggedout Buggedout

Never trusted the Internet after that.  Wink

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 01:24:01 AM »

I checked the IMDB yesterday: the message boards are gone.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »

They are not the only one gone. The blog search engine icerocket.com will cease to exist ere the month is over, and within the past year, 9 more message boards, where I use to post have ceased to exist.

Would the last person posting on the internet turn off the lights and close the door on the way out?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »

I don't give a f**k-I never had a credit card anyway-f**k em!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »

They are not the only one gone. The blog search engine icerocket.com will cease to exist ere the month is over, and within the past year, 9 more message boards, where I use to post have ceased to exist.

Would the last person posting on the internet turn off the lights and close the door on the way out?
DMOZ closed a few weeks ago.  The editors are working on bringing it back under a new name, but I'm still sad.

ScrubTheWeb, a small but-fairly-decent search engine closed recently.  It had been running since the late 90's. They plan to sell off their domain name, but not their technology.  No clue what they plan to do with it.
Pacman000
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »

Amazing with all the hoops folk would have to go through to join, IMDb still wound up with a toxic culture. 

Here's the closing announcement: http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

Oddly, IMDb still has a large archive of Usenet postings: http://www.imdb.com/reviews/index.html
Now IMDB's deleted their Usenet Archive too.  :(
Fox Sake
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »

Things started to go down the pan with IMDb when Amazon swooped down and squeezed the last drop of objective integrity out of it.

Not only have the message boards gone, but there are a few other little things going on behind the scenes that have the IMDB experience even more empty, not least for the way you can no longer sort user reviews. Instead it is defaulted to "Helpfullness", which suggests you have to trawl through pages and pages of happy-clappy reviews before you get to the realty-check zone.

i'l give it another 5 years before IMDb is either sold on again, or shut down because it is showing its age but no longer its true independence
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  RIP to the IMDB message boards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.