Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:47:05 PM
714162 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HELP ME CHOOSE!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HELP ME CHOOSE!!!  (Read 1515 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 05, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »

OK, everybody - I need your help. I am trying to write a cover blurb for my new novel, LOVER OF GOD. I have three different versions. Imagine that you have never met me, and never read any of my books. Which one of these would be most likely to make you open your wallet and buy the book? I've labeled them A, B, and C. Choose one in your comments below, please!

VERSION A:

For two thousand years his name was unknown . . .
 His story was untold . . .
 Until now.

Marcus Quintus Publius was a talented Roman aristocrat, a brilliant lawyer, a confidant of Emperors, and a fearless soldier. He was many things to many people.

To his legal clients, he was a skilled advocate whose eloquence earned him the nickname “Young Cicero.”
To the Emperor, Claudius Caesar, he was a skilled trouble shooter and diplomat.
 To corrupt officials, he was “the Scourge of the Provinces,” a bane to all those who abused their power over Rome’s subjects.
 To his soldiers, he was their beloved general, winner of Rome’s highest decoration for valor, the Corona Granicus, the Grass Crown.
 To a lovely young widow, he was the perfect husband, delivering her from loneliness and boredom.
 To the young Imperial heir, Claudius Nero, he was a mentor, a rarely heeded voice of reason and moderation.
 To one young orphaned slave, he became an adopted father.
 But to the leaders of the brand-new Christian faith, he was their legal defender, their tireless advocate, and their sole voice in the Roman Senate.

They called him Theophilus - the Lover of God.

VERSION B:

Until now.

When members of a despised religious minority are accused by Emperor Nero himself of starting the Great Fire of Rome, will any man have the courage to stand up for them?

One man would.

His name was Marcus Quintus Publius . . . a brilliant lawyer, a confidant of Emperors, a fearless soldier, and a man of integrity – a rare combination in the Roman Empire! Long before this moment, his journey had taken him from the windswept shores of Britain to the forests of Gaul to the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, and to the Parthian capitol of Ecbatana. He crossed paths with crooked governors, barbarian invaders, monstrous beasts, maniacal tyrants, and the apostles of the Empire’s newest faith, Christianity.
 Marcus led Rome’s legions in battle, fought off assassins, conducted criminal trials, negotiated with powerful monarchs, and encountered genuine miracles. He would be hailed as imperator by his troops and be called “The Scourge of the Provinces” by corrupt politicians. But it was his defense of Christianity before the Emperor himself that earned him the name he bears in Scripture to this day: Theophilus – the Lover of God.

“This novel will grab you by the front of the shirt and pull you in face-first! No one does ancient Rome better than Lewis B. Smith.”
 – Dai-Keag-Ity, Amazon

VERSION C:

Until now.

Marcus Quintus Publius . . . he was a brilliant lawyer, a confidant of Emperors, a fearless soldier, and a man of integrity – a rare combination in the Roman Empire ruled by Claudius Caesar. Empowered as the Emperor’s special investigator of corruption, his journey would take him from the windswept shores of Britain to the forests of Gaul to the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, and to the Parthian capitol of Ecbatana. He would cross paths with crooked governors, barbarian invaders, monstrous beasts, maniacal tyrants, and the apostles of the Empire’s newest faith, Christianity.
 On his odyssey, he would lead Rome’s legions in battle, fight off assassins, conduct criminal trials, negotiate with powerful monarchs, and encounter genuine miracles. He would be hailed as imperator by his troops and be called “The Scourge of the Provinces” by corrupt politicians. But the title he would treasure the most was the one given to him by a wandering religious teacher named Paul of Tarsus, who called him Theophilus – the Lover of God.

“This novel will grab you by the front of the shirt and pull you in face-first! No one does ancient Rome better than Lewis B. Smith.”
 – Dai-Keag-Ity, Amazon Reviewer

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »

Out of the three the first one because I'm picturing it in the film trailer announcer voice which appeals to me much more than the other two.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:17:06 AM »

Out of the three the first one because I'm picturing it in the film trailer announcer voice which appeals to me much more than the other two.

I agree with Dean: the first one is the best.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »

Dai-keag-ity is my absolute favorite Amazon reviewer.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:16 AM »

Hard to say without knowing what the novel is really about. Generally, I wouldn't be too interested in someone who had done tons of awesome stuff (that probably isn't part of the story) and now does even more awesome stuff. I would miss some sort of conflict in or challenge to the hero here. That being said, I think B works best. Here's why:

A - That is just a list of over-the-top accomplishments. Will they be part of the story? What is the story arc? There is a "but" at the end, but it is quite unbalanced and I am a bit left alone in figuring out the relevant aspect.

B - I like that it starts right away with a problem: Who stands up for a minority? The second part gives the answer and establishes that it is a respected member of the same society that (presumably) put a hard time on the minority. The next part is doing the same, and to my taste that is too much - I know already he is awesome. The last sentence takes out the suspense. Everything works out fine, the minority is saved and it is just another trophy on the belt of the hero (or so I interpret it). But isn't the question how it works out? Will the hero fall in the eyes of his previous peers? Will society try to shame him? Is there any conflict at all? I think the focus should be on the life history of the hero and what he accomplished, the big point should not be that it is finally written down.

C - To me, that is too much specific information about that man without giving any reference to what the story will be. I would assume the lifetime of a hero, like a classic on Odysseus. For example, for him I prefer "he just wants to get home, but angered the wrong gods" over "he successfully fights witches, cyclops, and those pesky Trojans". Here, the religious part comes a bit surprisingly at the end - but is that not the focus?. While I like the phrasing, I wouldn't know if that is a main part of the story at all, a turning point for the hero, or just the first spot in a top 25 of accomplishments.

Anyway, just my thoughts, but I am a sucker for ambiguous characters and have not much interest in flawless superheros.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HELP ME CHOOSE!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.