Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:56:54 AM
712926 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE WITCH (2015) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: THE WITCH (2015)  (Read 8575 times)
Skull
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »

If the family had left in early spring (April/May) its possible the father could build the house/barn (say a month) and still have time to put in the crop (late May/early June). As for the pregnant mother, you are looking at it from a modern perspective; in the 17th century women would be working until the baby was ready to drop and would be back at work within a week, if not days.

Looking at the background...

So in the early spring, the father chopped the wood and made wooden boards out of the wood... and put the ban up... I don't think so.

If we were talking about log cabins, maybe. But the house construction were too complicated without the help of additional people and a mill. (review the trailer and look at the buildings)

Good point, but to much time spent on the witches would have spoiled the movie which is more of a psychological horror story, then a traditional horror movie with a "monster."

I was reading that the goat seemed to play a key parts in the script but they couldn't make the goat act therefore the story was altered. I do think the goat needed more spotlight in the story.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »

Watched it and, uh, meh.  Not even a little bit scary.  I'd have enjoyed it more going in cold, or maybe if I had expected a period drama instead of a horror movie.  I know I'd have enjoyed it more if I could have heard what anyone was saying!  I finally gave up and turned on subtitles.  Honestly, I think that was a mistake in the sound mix because music and sound effects were at a good volume.

One thing that bothered me was the perverted boy continually trying to peep down his sister's shirt.  Not because it was icky, but because there was nothing there for him to peep at.  Even the most desperate, horny, perverted thirteen year old (or thereabouts) boy isn't going to be that interested in such a flat chest.  I do suppose it "paid off" when the witch took the form of a chick with enormous knockers in order to seduce him.

Thinking about it a little more, I would have enjoyed this movie more without the witches.  Make it a psychological tale of an isolated family's mental disintegration and you'd have had something.  Hell, you can even keep the murderous goat (who was far and away my favorite thing in the whole film, btw).

Also, am I the only one who kept thinking of Eyes of Fire (1983) while watching this?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »

What? Killer Bunnies are terrifying! heh.

Small | Large

Finally got around to watching this last night -watched it cold, knowing next to nothing about it. I loved it. Still processing it. Liked that they didn't explain the witch (witches) too much. Loved it being a period piece. I did find the father figure difficult to understand at times (the dialect wasn't the problem, but for some reason that guy sounded like he had a mouth full of chewing tobacco to me).

I liked the aspect of blame being thrown around; reminded me of the time period (things go bad = must be that your daughter is a witch). Seemed that each family member deal with one or more of the 7 deadlies: the boy (lust), the father (pride), the wife (envy (silver cup) or wrath) ...unsure about the two little ones, though.

Overall, a great viewing experience.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:32:00 AM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »

Loved this one, is one of those films were the dread doesn't come from easy frights, but rather from how twisted the whole thing is. Watching those people suspicious of each other or confronting themselves about their souls when they're literally starving got on my nerves.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE WITCH (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.