Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:59 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  VR.5 (1995) starring Lori Singer and Anthony Stewart Head « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VR.5 (1995) starring Lori Singer and Anthony Stewart Head  (Read 5703 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:23 AM »

Who remembers VR.5, the unfortunately short-lived scifi show from the mid 90's?

Lori Singer stars as Sydney Bloom, the daughter of a scientist who was working on virtual reality technology.  The 5 in VR.5 refers to the shows 'fifth level' of virtual reality, in which a person can interact with another and have effects on the physical world.  It was a really trippy show with a vocal fanbase.

The theme music came to the composer in a dream, which was very much in keeping with the surreal and oneiric nature of the show.  It's actually a fantastic soundtrack, and a limited number of CD's were printed and privately sold during the late 90's.

! No longer available Small | Large

Starring a post-Footloose Lori Singer and a pre-Buffy Anthony Head, VR.5 was broadcast during 1995 and, like so many shows of this type in Australia, relegated to the 10.30pm time slot.  Oddly, only ten episodes were aired during the US run, but all 13 were shown overseas.  I used to avidly wait for it and eat chicken rolls while it played, such simple joys.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »

Wow...one of those shows I remember being on, but couldn't tell you anything about it. 

Although..it could get a new version, with the main character putting on the Playstation VR headset.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »

I always kinda thought the pilot got it off to a pretty good start, but it real cliched real quick...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »

I liked it. I wish some company like Shout Factory! would release it.

I have to admit, I had a thing for Lori Singer from when she was on the Fame TV series, so this show was a no-brainer for me. But, hey, VR.5 and Max Headroom would be perfect vehicles for reboots, as long as they both kept their dark and cynical approach to satire. Probably do better on HBO.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
AoTFan

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »

Lori Singer stars as Sydney Bloom, the daughter of a scientist who was working on virtual reality technology.  The 5 in VR.5 refers to the shows 'fifth level' of virtual reality, in which a person can interact with another and have effects on the physical world.  It was a really trippy show with a vocal fanbase.

The theme music came to the composer in a dream, which was very much in keeping with the surreal and oneiric nature of the show.  It's actually a fantastic soundtrack, and a limited number of CD's were printed and privately sold during the late 90's.

! No longer available

Starring a post-Footloose Lori Singer and a pre-Buffy Anthony Head, VR.5 was broadcast during 1995 and, like so many shows of this type in Australia, relegated to the 10.30pm time slot.  Oddly, only ten episodes were aired during the US run, but all 13 were shown overseas.  I used to avidly wait for it and eat chicken rolls while it played, such simple joys.

! No longer available

Did they resolve the cliffhanger in the three eps that weren't shown in the U.S?

(spoilers below)

IIRC the main character goes into VR 7 to get her comatose mother out but the ep ends with her being trapped-essentially taking her mother's place.  Always kind of thought that was a sucky spot to end things, but I guess they had planned on resolving it in season two.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »

I really enjoyed this show, and was p**sed when it was canceled.
Fox had a really bad habit of putting on really good, original shows (VR5, M.A.N.T.I.S., BRISCO COUNTY JR., etc), then dumping them, whilst keeping gar-BAGE like THE SIMPSONS.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
AoTFan

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

Fox had a really bad habit of putting on really good, original shows (VR5, M.A.N.T.I.S., BRISCO COUNTY JR., etc), then dumping them, whilst keeping gar-BAGE like THE SIMPSONS.

How could you forget to add Firefly to the list? 
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »

I have vague memories of it. I think it aired the same night as the X-Files. I used to tape them both because I worked late the night they were on.  

FOX launched quite a few sci-fi themed series in the wake of X-Files (see: Space: Above And Beyond, Firefly, Freakylinks, Sliders, M.A.N.T.I.S., etc.) but they never lasted very long. Chris Carter's Millennium (w/Lance Henriksen) squeaked by for a few seasons but was never a massive ratings success. I think FOX only kept that one on the air that long to keep Carter happy.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

How could you forget to add Firefly to the list? 

Sorry....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 04:41:38 AM »

I have vague memories of it. I think it aired the same night as the X-Files. I used to tape them both because I worked late the night they were on.  

FOX launched quite a few sci-fi themed series in the wake of X-Files (see: Space: Above And Beyond, Firefly, Freakylinks, Sliders, M.A.N.T.I.S., etc.) but they never lasted very long. Chris Carter's Millennium (w/Lance Henriksen) squeaked by for a few seasons but was never a massive ratings success. I think FOX only kept that one on the air that long to keep Carter happy.

Another excellent 90's science fiction series which was unfortunately short lived was The Burning Zone (UPN), created by Coleman Luck.  It lasted for one season with a very abrupt and obvious change in direction half way through.  It starred Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Tamlyn Tomita and James Black, and was basically a cross between Outbreak and The X Files but with a mystical conspiracy slant. 

Come to think of it, this deserves a separate post.  Coming soon!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
AoTFan

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:31 PM »

Another excellent 90's science fiction series which was unfortunately short lived was The Burning Zone (UPN), created by Coleman Luck.  It lasted for one season with a very abrupt and obvious change in direction half way through.  It starred Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Tamlyn Tomita and James Black, and was basically a cross between Outbreak and The X Files but with a mystical conspiracy slant. 

Come to think of it, this deserves a separate post.  Coming soon!

So, Archivist, did they resolve that cliffhanger I mentioned earlier?  Or was that a "We'll get to it next season, oh damn, we're cancelled!" kind of thing?

Speaking of canceled shows on Fox Friday nights, another one I really enjoyed was Brimstone.  Course, I didn't actually discover it until they did the reruns on Sci-Fi channel.
Archivist

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »

So, Archivist, did they resolve that cliffhanger I mentioned earlier?  Or was that a "We'll get to it next season, oh damn, we're cancelled!" kind of thing?

Speaking of canceled shows on Fox Friday nights, another one I really enjoyed was Brimstone.  Course, I didn't actually discover it until they did the reruns on Sci-Fi channel.

I'm not sure, it's been a while since I watched that far into the series.  But there was a strange scene at the end of the final episode.  It's on YouTube so you can see for yourself.

Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

! No longer available

! No longer available

Did they resolve the cliffhanger in the three eps that weren't shown in the U.S?

(spoilers below)

IIRC the main character goes into VR 7 to get her comatose mother out but the ep ends with her being trapped-essentially taking her mother's place.  Always kind of thought that was a sucky spot to end things, but I guess they had planned on resolving it in season two.

Or was that a "We'll get to it next season, oh damn, we're cancelled!" kind of thing?

You got it in your last remark, they didn't resolve it.  That was the last episode.

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  VR.5 (1995) starring Lori Singer and Anthony Stewart Head « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.