Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:19:19 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Can someone spoil The Last of Us for me? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can someone spoil The Last of Us for me?  (Read 3272 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 04, 2017, 03:46:23 AM »

I've got a question about it, and since I don't have a PS3 (or 4) I don't think I'll ever be able to play it (cool as the game seems to be.)  Anyway, I'm familiar (somewhat) with the ending though, and part of it just doesn't seem to make sense, so I was hoping someone who's played and beaten the game can explain it to me.

(Feel free to correct me if I get any details wrong.)

Okay, you got this future where lots of people are turned into fungus zombie maniacs from a plague.  This guy (Joel) is hired to transport a young girl, Ellie, to a safe zone (or something) because, we found out later, she'd been bit by a plague carrier but seems to be immune to the virus.  Well, many trials later, you get to the secret rendezvous only to find out they plan to kill Ellie.  So, Joel shoots the woman who hired him (and depending on the player, the doctors) and takes Ellie (who's passed out under anesthesia during all this) out of the place.  Joel lies to Ellie and tells her the scientists were wrong, her antibodies do NOT contain the cure, and they're now on their own.  

So.. my question.. WHY were they going to kill her?  That makes NO damn sense.  If you've got someone who's immune to a plague, then you want to make damn sure that person is alive.  I mean, even if they get all the info they need from her blood samples it still seems rather stupid to kill her off afterwards, especially if, Heaven forbid, something happens to the first batch and you find out you need more.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:32:27 PM by AoTFan » Logged
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »

Sorry, I can't spoil the ending but it may be you're not missing much by not having the game since my husband bought it and after two or three sessions said despite the hype it was one of the most boring things he ever played, like someone pulled off a prank by sneaking his unpublished screenplay into a video game, so he quit. But that may be because he hates games that are composed of cut scenes and pseudo-movies (like the Nathan Drake titles) and others love that narrative-based sort of game. I'll ask someone who does know, and get back to you later if no one else answers before then.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »

They were going to kill her because the game and all the characters in it are stupid.  No, seriously, that's my take on it.  It could be they weren't intending to kill her, but there was a risk, and Joel (being the huge a***ole he is) killed a bunch of people who were trying to save all humankind for the sake of a foulmouthed little kid who kind of reminded him of his dead daughter.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »

They were going to kill her because the game and all the characters in it are stupid.  No, seriously, that's my take on it.  It could be they weren't intending to kill her, but there was a risk, and Joel (being the huge a***ole he is) killed a bunch of people who were trying to save all humankind for the sake of a foulmouthed little kid who kind of reminded him of his dead daughter.

His dead daughter was Ellen Page?   BounceGiggle

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:31:23 AM »

and Joel (being the huge a***ole he is) killed a bunch of people who were trying to save all humankind for the sake of a foulmouthed little kid who kind of reminded him of his dead daughter.

Nooooo, not our Joel?  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »

and Joel (being the huge a***ole he is) killed a bunch of people who were trying to save all humankind for the sake of a foulmouthed little kid who kind of reminded him of his dead daughter.

Nooooo, not our Joel?  Wink

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!   BounceGiggle

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 12:06:49 PM »

I'm guessing that the procedure to get the samples they need would be fatal.
At least that's what I assumed.

AoTFan

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »

Hmm... sounds like it's just a plot device to add a little "whammy" to the end of the game.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:34:23 AM »

Hmm... sounds like it's just a plot device to add a little "whammy" to the end of the game.

I don't know what that means.
Unless this will be in Last of Us 2...

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »

The sad truth to all video games is, you wait long enough and everybody dies. ;-)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »

Spoil The Last of Us? Here, let me spoil every video game EVER made.

They are just GAMES. Not to be taken seriously. Have fun but don't obsess over them. In the end, you are just burning away minutes/hours. Stop giving these things so much impact on culture and life.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go play 4 hours of Euro Fishing because I need to raise my levels, because, if I don't, my entire life is WORTHLESS!!!!!

Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »

AH! Perfect excuse for me to link to my other daily mind fix. James writes about computer games, and here we go!
http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/17/0417/042017.html

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
AoTFan

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 03:02:39 AM »

Spoil The Last of Us? Here, let me spoil every video game EVER made.

They are just GAMES. Not to be taken seriously. Have fun but don't obsess over them. In the end, you are just burning away minutes/hours. Stop giving these things so much impact on culture and life.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go play 4 hours of Euro Fishing because I need to raise my levels, because, if I don't, my entire life is WORTHLESS!!!!!

If a story, whether it's from a book, movie, or video game, doesn't have an impact on you while you're experiencing it, then it's not that much of a story. 
akiratubo

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »

If a story, whether it's from a book, movie, or video game, doesn't have an impact on you while you're experiencing it, then it's not that much of a story.

Just like The Last of Us!  *ba-dum-tssh*

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »

Just like The Last of Us!  *ba-dum-tssh*

Oh, SNAP!   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Can someone spoil The Last of Us for me? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.