Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:26:06 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Mystery Science Theater The Return (Season 11) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Mystery Science Theater The Return (Season 11)  (Read 15693 times)
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »

Complaint of the week: the theater is getting too busy with the silhouettes. Gypsy dropping in twice an episode is OK, but she hasn't gotten a funny line yet. Tom flying hasn't added anything, and now they've got Crow standing up, and several times the bots get up and start walking to the exits. It's all distracting. Sit still and watch the movie!

Welcome to Generation ADHD!! If you don't have it, we'll condition your brain to mimic it!

By the way, I agree, Rev. I have to keep reminding myself that they are now catering to a different demographic than the original shows. Still annoys the s**t out of me.  TeddyR

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »

Complaint of the week: the theater is getting too busy with the silhouettes. Gypsy dropping in twice an episode is OK, but she hasn't gotten a funny line yet. Tom flying hasn't added anything, and now they've got Crow standing up, and several times the bots get up and start walking to the exits. It's all distracting. Sit still and watch the movie!

Welcome to Generation ADHD!! If you don't have it, we'll condition your brain to mimic it!

By the way, I agree, Rev. I have to keep reminding myself that they are now catering to a different demographic than the original shows. Still annoys the s**t out of me.  TeddyR

So am I officially a cranky old man now? "Hey you kids, stop playing with those bots on my lawn!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »

Tom flying around had a couple moments of laughter from me in some later films this season, same with them hitting the exits.  Is it my age? I'm 33, so probably a tad younger than some here (no offense.)  However I grew up with the original show and see where everyone's coming from.  But I think they're trying to write for both old and new fans, so.  Anything to get new seasons, guys. Wink

I dug the new season overall.  Hearing it's a definite for season 12, so.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »

So am I officially a cranky old man now?

I'm afraid so. Next thing you know, you'll be complaining about them talking over the movie. TongueOut And truth be told, it's not much different from the original. Particularly during Joel's time as host, they would sometimes mime interacting with whatever was on the screen. It's just that now they can do stuff that wasn't possible for a cowtown puppet show back in the Nineties.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT: Refugees from a torpedoed ship commandeer a German U-boat and sail it to a continent where dinosaurs and cavemen live side by side. Another mediocre (not bad) monster movie, which is bad news for the riffing possibilities. (They try to go after Doug McClure, but he's too bland to effectively mock). They try hard with the host segments: the "dinosaur BBQ" sketch almost works, yet I didn't actually laugh. This ranks as my second least-favorite episode of the new season, only ahead of BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »

THE LOVES OF HERCULES: Bad guys kill Herc's wife, but Jayne Mansfield catches him on the rebound. The movie features the worst Hercules in Mickey Hartigay (aside from Lou Ferrigno) and the worst monster I've ever seen in any peplum: a three-headed hydra that looks like a bad parade float. I liked the movie! Wish they'd made more jokes about Jayne's, em, endowments. Mr. Waverly appears for the first time: huh. Surprised that so many people seem to dislike this one, I'd rank it in the middle of the season 12 pack.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »

YONGARY: A monster stomps Seoul. Routine kaiju action, with the only twists being a itchy ray and the monster's long, painful-looking death scene (that goes on forever). Still, the riffing was some of the best of the season, though the best parts are loaded towards the beginning of the episode ("CAPSULE"?) Host segments are short and unspectacular, although the song at the end almost works. Probably ends up in the lower third of the season. A more interesting movie would have helped a lot.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »

WIZARDS OF THE LOST KINGDOM: A miscast wino hero (Bo Svenson) helps a weenie wizard kid and his wooly Wookie pet get his kingdom back from an evil usurper. On Moon 13, Max declares his love for Kinga (to his diary) and discovers some sort of beast that may (or may not) do his bidding later in the series. This 80s D&D/STAR WARS kiddie hybrid is my brand of cheese, so I naturally enjoyed this one. An upper middle episode in the new series' run. And there's a sequel next week, let's hope that's even worse!

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »

WIZARDS OF THE LOST KINGDOM: A miscast wino hero (Bo Svenson) helps a weenie wizard kid and his wooly Wookie pet get his kingdom back from an evil usurper. On Moon 13, Max declares his love for Kinga (to his diary) and discovers some sort of beast that may (or may not) do his bidding later in the series. This 80s D&D/STAR WARS kiddie hybrid is my brand of cheese, so I naturally enjoyed this one. An upper middle episode in the new series' run. And there's a sequel next week, let's hope that's even worse!

The movie itself is. The riffing is about the same level.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »

As Java said:

WIZARDS OF THE LOST KINGDOM 2: A crummy wizard trains a boy in magic to overthrow three evil wizards. On Moon 13, Kinga comes up with a new ratings boost plan: she'll marry Jonah! The movie is totally different, yet completely indistinguishable, from WIZARDS OF THE LOST KINGDOM 1. David Carradine looks bored and somehow makes an even worse epic fantasy hero than Bo Svenson, but it was fun to see Sid Haig (and extra fun to see the BARBARIAN QUEEN herself, Lana Clarkson!) Like I said, this is almost indistinguishable from the first one, but as an episode I'd rank it slightly ahead of that one because of the welcome return of Pearl, Bobo and Observer, and the start of what I presume/hope will be a plot arc with Kinga's threat of a sham marriage.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »

CARNIVAL MAGIC: A mystical magician and his sorta-talking chimp sidekick become the star attractions of a small-time carnival, arousing jealousy in the former headliner. Also, Kinga announces her plan to marry Jonah, and the SOL gets a surprise visitor. Finally, I have a clear favorite episode from Season 11! This is the first one I would rank as competitive with an average show from seasons 2-10. Bizarre movie, good riffing, good host segments, memorable cameo from Mark Hamill, and continuing development of a plot arc add up to more fun than a talking monkey sideshow!

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »

CARNIVAL MAGIC: A mystical magician and his sorta-talking chimp sidekick become the star attractions of a small-time carnival, arousing jealousy in the former headliner. Also, Kinga announces her plan to marry Jonah, and the SOL gets a surprise visitor. Finally, I have a clear favorite episode from Season 11! This is the first one I would rank as competitive with an average show from seasons 2-10. Bizarre movie, good riffing, good host segments, memorable cameo from Mark Hamill, and continuing development of a plot arc add up to more fun than a talking monkey sideshow!

Let's not forget that the one and (thank goodness) ONLY Al Adamson directed that limp noodle of a movie. I've owned it on BD for nearly two years and never could stand more than 20 minutes of it. Only with the help of MST3K was I able to watch the whole thing.

YES!! Mark Hamill was wonderful in the guest role. Another thing that helped make the whole thing very watchable.

AoTFan

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one to binge watch the new season of MST3k.

Is this on cable, Netflix, Hulu, or what?
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 01:20:04 AM »

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one to binge watch the new season of MST3k.

Is this on cable, Netflix, Hulu, or what?

Netflix has the reboot season, plus a season's worth of older episodes from the original series.

Does that answer your question, or have I muddied the water? I'm good at that.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »

THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN'T: Santa Claus hires a pro-bono lawyer because his kid-hating landlord is threatening to evict him from his North Pole workshop before he can make all the toys, thereby making Christmas almost not. Not a fun movie or a good episode, which is made even more unfortunate by the fact that it's going to be compared against the two classic Christmas MST3K episodes. Riffing is OK but a bit labored: they had a running "adult baby" joke about the barrister but it seemed completely arbitrary. One of the bottom three episodes of the season, with only one left to go.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Mystery Science Theater The Return (Season 11) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.