Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:10:12 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Friday the 13th the Videogame « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Friday the 13th the Videogame  (Read 3990 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »

This certainly looks entertaining. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AgZlK-YCTk

I especially love the worn out VHS style logo opening. 

I notice you can choose your preferred Jason.  I wonder if Jason X or blue and purple NES Jason will be included? 
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »

Release date just announced (May 27 or 28thish). I've been looking forward to this one.

Love the 80s VHS logo, too. Also love the trailers (especially with the 80s cheese metal song/score).

It appears they took a lot of input from the beta testers and incorporated it. I'm hoping it will be more than just a game of "camp" the phone/car.

Recent developments that I've heard about:
* Jason can teleport (with a cooldown)
* Jason can stalk (he can muffle his "nearby" music) for short periods of time (more as the match goes on).
* Jason can throw things, smash campers with about anything in the environment, and can toss them out windows.
* Campers can set traps, stab/hit Jason, and shoot flare gun at him to stun him.
* Jason can set traps, too.
* Depending on which Jason you are determines how fast he can move (sack head runs, for example).
* Tommy Jarvis shows up!

I wish Jason can kill cops if/when they show up (as they were always useless in the movies).

Considering it's such a small development team with kickstarter funding, I'd say it was an accomplishment just getting this game created. I pre-ordered my physical copy about a month ago and plan to play most of the day when I receive it.

It would be great if they had an easter egg NES Jason lol.

I'll be playing on PS4 (and likely PC at some point).

Can't wait!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »

I want to play this one, but I'm gonna wait for the single-player update to come out first.

I've always wanted to see a more rage-filled Jason. Face it: the guy is nigh immortal, with limited brain function, no social skills, and dead-mommy issues. Lots of rage and frustration there. I think Jason would have taken that anger out on his victims. Sure, he performed some brutal kills, but he would have mutilated the victims out of anger, as long as he had time to vent some on them.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »

Ah, I'm glad you brought that up. I forgot to mention another one of Jason's abilities:

Rage. The longer the match goes, the more rage he builds up, which makes him faster, stronger, and able to take more damage. I believe he can burst through doors with the Rage power (like his other powers, it's got a cool down time/limited use).

I wish the single player was available at launch, as I'm looking forward to that, too.

I'm sure the game will have some flaws (there are things that concern me already), but based on what they learn, I'm betting, if and when a sequel comes out, it'll be even better (hoping, anyway).

Some things that concern me is that everyone will be camping the phone. Jason will have to hang near it to keep campers from fixing it; campers will have to hang near it/distract Jason so they can fix it to call the cops. I hope the escape route isn't always the same (or that there are hardcore settings to make it more difficult).

Still, I'm ready to play ...and these days video games don't excite me much.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:45:45 AM »

Friday the 13th: The Game was launched on Friday, May 26, 2017. Unfortunately, I had to work most of that day, but rest assured, I was on and downloading as soon as I got home.

My initial review/reaction (based on a three day weekend of sporadic play):

Launch Weekend Growing Pains: First, we might as well talk about the launch day/weekend issues: lots of server problems, basically resulting from too many players overloading them (they had way more than expected interest). I've been reading that it varies from system to system and that some people haven't been able to get/stay connected. Friday night, as expected, had the most issues, but over the weekend they have added more servers and did a lot of updating to keep things going...pretty damned impressive if you ask me as they only have a 4-6 person team doing this rather than a huge conglomerate. At any rate, Friday night, it was hard to get in a game and stay in it, but I managed a few. Saturday the wait times decreased and by yesterday it was minimal. I'm on PS4 but I've been talking to XBOX folks who have yet to get into a game.

The Game Itself: I. had. a. friggin. blast. As both campers and as Jason (but at this point, I still suck with both roles, yet it's so fun). This got the adrenaline pumping, no doubt. What was most epic was the other players' reactions to the game over the mic, especially those first games.

I'll list the bad, first, just to get it out of the way:

Bad:

The graphics of some of the camper's faces is pretty b-movie level, which seems appropriate and some of their facial expressions during the matches went from bland to odd to damned funny. But this is all about the game play.

Getting stuck on twigs, bushes, and stupid stuff (even when trying to shift with Jason). A lot of environmental stuff acts as an obstacle when it should not.

Playing ring around the window. Since campers can escape in and out of windows and Jason can't, players tend to do this game of cat and mouse. Jason says that's what traps are for.

The "camping" of the escape routes: I thought this would be a worse problem than it is, but it was still an issue. Three ways out and it forces everyone to camp certain areas (the cars, the boat, the phone). Wish there was more of a variety on escapes/survival. Need a hardcore mode where it's random on which escape route is even doable.

Good:

The Campers: Being a counselor is a total rush. When you hear the F13 music, you instantly think "oh $h!t! get moving!" You can also set traps, grab various useable items to distract or slow Jason (enough for you to get away, hopefully). You unlock more as you go but they have a good selection: athletes, nerds, rockers, and even Tommy! I just wish there were more actual characterizations (but probably due to copyright/liknesses, they probably couldn't) like Reggie the Reckless, part 4 bear hunter (he's killing me!), Ginny, Baconator, etc.

The maps: there's only 3 but they are amazing: one for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movies (Camp Crystal Lake, Pakanaka, and Higgins Haven) and they have a lot of great detail on these maps. You can tell they studied the locations from the films.

Jason: Although I've only unlocked part 7, I tend to use part 3 (and will likely stay with him). Parts 2 and 3 can run and all Jason's move through the water fast. Jason is a blast to play, even though I'm not very good with his abilities yet. As I stated above, he gets 2 teleport powers (one for a big teleport across the map; the other for closer shifting teleportation), stalk power (turns his warning music off temporarily), sensory powers, and as mentioned, Rage.

After the kill: After you die, you can watch the match from any surviving players (and can rotate and zoom their view). You wouldn't think this would be fun, but I enjoy jumping from player to player as a spectator and watch Jason try to run them down. Also, if someone uses the radio, you have a chance to respawn as Tommy Jarvis with a one-shot only shotgun.

Some interesting interactions so far:

My first death: Jason cornered me in a cabin, grabbed me, then proceeded to stomp me head first into a burning fireplace. It was an epic way to go out for the first time.

My first kill as Jason: didn't know what I was doing at this point, but the campers huddled up in the same cabin so I chopped through the door (as they were screaming like giddy kids on the mic, freaking out lol) and they all tried to bum rush me, so I instantly grabbed one and threw that guy threw the window, axed another quickly while the others beat on me with bats. They even hit me enough to knock my mask off! I killed 3 out of 8 the first try. Most I've gotten so far is 5/8 but again, I've only played Jason a few more times.

Very fun game. I am very happy with it.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »

Game tips:

As a camper, you'll be tempted to pick Vanessa for her run speed; I wouldn't. She's noisy and her fear levels go up easily, so Jason will always find her and usually finds her first. I learned that the hard way.

Arm yourself. Use whatever you find first and upgrade as you find better weapons.

Lock/barricade all doors and open all windows. Be ready for a quick escape.

Don't go upstairs. You've seen a horror movie, right?

Use traps. Trap entry ways and choke points.

Use the flashlight, stay on lit paths, and stay indoors in well lit areas to reduce your fear, thus reducing Jason's ability to Sense you.

Collect fuse (for phone), gas (for car), battery (for car), keys (for car), collect gas and parts for boat.

Find HAM radio and call for Tommy.

Three escape options that I know:
Phone: find fuse, fix electric box, find phone, call cops, find them in 5 minutes.
Boat: find gas and parts, fix and fuel boat, pilot it to exit
Car: find gas, keys, battery; fuel car, fix battery, and drive out.

Teamwork: working together (though not necessarily huddling together) is the best option. Each collect parts; strong campers can keep Jason busy while others fix, fuel, and call.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 01:20:22 AM »

Cool review Canary!

Don't know if you guys know this, but they also have a DLC where you can play as Jason from the Eight bit Nintendo game.  And yes, he has a PURPLE outfit and a green mask!

EDIT: Er... not really a green mask, more cyan.  My bad!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:28:31 PM by AoTFan » Logged
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 06:14:15 AM »

That's the one I was waiting for!
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

Yes! And the warning music (the classic F13 theme that plays when Jason is near) is the 16-bit version, which is awesome. I think it's cool they added this, but I never choose it as my Jason.

I've unlocked Jason for Part 2, 3, 6, and 7, plus the purple old school (which is just a different colored skin of part 3). My favorite to play is Jason from part 2 (sack head) since he runs, has more traps, and is my favorite from the films.

Besides the toxic online random game matching community, it's still a pretty fun game, when you can find the right people to game with (go for private match with friends and invite if you can). The online players often consist of tweens trying to talk ghetto, kids being as offensive and annoying as possible for kicks, those who cheat (campers working with Jason), glitch exploiters, and rage quitters (host quits out of game, denying all their XP awards). Supposedly they are going to patch for the latter issue via host migration if someone quits, but it hasn't happened yet.

After filtering through the trash and finding some good players, it is a great time.

* Got my real life buddy to join me in a game, and he was Jason in the first match. He had grabbed me and killed me pretty early, and I got to come back as Tommy, so I ran it for him, saw he was about to kill a fool in the large bathroom (part 1 map) and as I was running in, Jason grabbed a camper and the camper started cussing me, calling me a retard for coming in, but then I shot Jason (my buddy) point blank in the gut, knocking him down, and freeing us both to flee, hehe. Camper apologized over the mic, "uh...sorry...I guess you're not a retard; thanks for saving my ass" and I responded with a polite laugh. The next game I got my revenge on my buddy; I was Jason and my friend tried the shotgun on me, but I dodged it and then punched his head off. He was using the PS4 record feature so he was able to post his demise on FB for all of our friends to see.

* A different game, different group: I was Sackhead Jason and I ran up on about four of them about to take off in the car - got in front of it, slammed the hood, and started pulling the driver out, then one of them slugged me, stunning me for a sec, giving them just enough time to start it, and barely get it going, when I would come to, and shift in front of them again, slam the hood, and start the dance all over again but this time I grab a fool and punch his head clean off, chop two others, grab another one, get stunned by firecrackers/flares, then gate across the map where I know they need to go to get out. Hah, they see me ahead on the road and start driving in reverse as I chase them. They wreck hahah as i get a couple more, but they get it started and manage to dodge around me after I had used up my shift and they finally escaped. It was so awesome if they escaped or not because that chase was super high intense for me as Jason -I know I had em sweatin! hahah. I found the last camper hiding under a bed. Great game even though I didn't get them all.

Anyone else have some good F13 gaming stories?

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 07:23:14 AM »

More Tips for playing counselors:

I typically play AJ because she not only represents one of the coolest F13 victims (Violet), but also just happens to match my playing style.

Strengths:

* Stealthy: easier to hide from Jason's sense and doesn't make as much noise as the others.

* Repair skill: one of the top skilled at repair. Fix fuse boxes, install batteries, fix the boat, fill gas much faster than the others. If you have good teamwork, hopefully others (fast athletes) take the parts to their locations for you to repair.

* Decent stamina: good for running longer before slowing down and stumbling.

Weaknesses:

* Weak strength: only matters if you're trying to damage Jason/kill him or remove his mask, which you would need teammates to do it anyway.

AJ Perks:

There are a lot of good perks you could combo, but the three I typically choose:

*Map: starting with a map is great for a parts-runner/repair person. You know right where to go off the bat and where to avoid. This perk also reduces fear. Lots of people would trade this for another since you can get maps easily in game, but I like having it right off.

*Increased Stamina: allows me to run even longer/further before tiring out.

* Stamina regen: allows fast stamina regen when I stop moving.

Other good ones are sense and fear reducers, making it even harder for Jason to spot you (Night Owl, Steel Nerves, etc.).

More tips (may have already mentioned some of these):
* When you first spawn, immediately head for nearest cabin. Barricade doors, loot it, and move on.

* If you spawn at the building next to the phone box, boat, or cars, remember the location and GET AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN! A good Jason will go to these places first (especially the phone) to trap them, so do not be there when he arrives! Come back after a few minutes.

* Gauge your Jason: If you see traps by the phone box, the car gas cap, the hood of the car, or the entrance to the boat docks, you're dealing with a pretty good Jason. If, in addition to this, they have broken all the doors and windows by these escape routes, then you're probably dealing with a very good Jason. Another indicator of a good Jason is the Savani Jason or a Jason with a variant weapon (because you have to have been an original backer for the former and have to be extremely high level for the latter).

* If, after 5 or even 10 minutes, Jason has not trapped anything mentioned above, you're dealing with a newbie Jason and can plan accordingly.

Hiding Spots:

* Jason's sense ability highlights buildings in red if you are within, however, it doesn't show exactly where you are in said house (but your movement might). In some of the primary houses (the lodge in Packanack, the big house in Higgins, the Jarvis house, etc.), it's hard for Jason to always find you, especially if he's knocked the lights out.

* Don't hide under beds or in cabinets; your camper will auto talk/freak out, revealing your position. Often, you can hide behind open doors, or in out of the way, dark places, but experienced Jasons will know the usual places to look. One time, in the Crystal Lake map, Jason cornered me in the bathroom stall building, knocked the lights out, and I hid crouched down in one of the stalls. He knew I was there and even walked passed me a few times, then got frustrated and went after someone else.

Other Tips:

Juking: some campers juke Jason pretty well, where they dodge close, making him waste his reach grab, and then darting off. I'm not great at this. Watch out for Jason's knives when you do this.

Baiting: not a very savory thing to do, but often other campers will lead Jason right to me. Other times, Jason will be on your ass, so it's best to head to a group of other campers so that you might be able to loose him/bait him onto another camper.

Bunkering: barricade the doors, open all windows, and set a trap in front of the doors. Watch/listen for Jason setting traps outside of the windows. Avoid line of sight from the windows to avoid knives. When he starts breaking down the door, either be ready to swing at him or be on your way out an opposing-side window.

Weapons: arm yourself right away with whatever you can find (even a frying pan) and trade up as you find better ones. I find the club/blunt weapons the best as they stun more than damage (boards, pipes, wrench). I personally prefer the wrench. The axe, machete, etc., are more for damage.

Shotgun and Flaregun: if you're a good shot, go with these weapons, but remember you get your one shot and that's it. I prefer the wrench to these as I can swing it a few times before it breaks.

Objectives: keep an eye on your map and the objectives; monitor what's been installed. Pay attention to where other campers are and where they are heading. If you see most of the car has been repaired/gassed up and everyone is heading for the car, consider it as well.

Escape parts: make delivering/repairing a high priority, but watch for Jason. If others have him good and distracted, it's a perfect time to fix the phone and call the cops or to fix the boat/car. If you find the keys, hold onto them, as there is only one set per car on the map and if you have them, no one can leave without you. Typically, after the car is prepped, I go to the four door, drop the keys by it, and bunker in the nearest cabin until someone who can actually drive shows up (I suck and wreck almost all the time; it's hilarious!).

Traveling: especially as AJ, take the lit paths when fear is high, but otherwise, take the off the beaten path routes for risk mitigation; less chance of encountering Jason that way. As AJ, if you just do standard jog instead of running, she won't make the noise ping for Jason to notice.

Items:

Medical Spray: use to heal minor injuries (from climbing through broken windows), Jason slashes, falling, or from knives. If you have the right perk assigned, you can start with one and with yet another perk, the med spray heals more and each gets two uses. Useful for healing others nearby too.

Fireworks: drop these just as Jason is on your ass to distract him.

Knives: use to escape Jason's grab or to remove traps (best item).

Flare gun: one shot distractor; reveals Jason's location on everyone's maps for a moment.

Shot gun: one shot will drop Jason for a second.

Walkie Talkie: useful for teamwork. Best when playing with friends; not so great when playing with randos.

Map: map of the place; also located on a camp board

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 07:32:06 AM »

For the moment, due to legal issues, F13 game makers have ceased releasing more DLC, however, in the last year, they've released a ton:

There are several maps now:
P1: Crystal Lake (plus a smaller version of this map)
P2: Packanack (plus a smaller version of this map)
P3: Higgin's Haven (plus a smaller version of this map)
P4: Jarvis Residence
P5: Pinehurst

There are several Jasons you can choose from now:
P2: Sackhead/Steve Dash version
P3: Broker version
P4: Ted White version
P5: Roy
P6: CJ Graham version
P7: Kane Zombie version
P8: Kane Waterlogged version
P9: Kane Melted Milkdud version

And several new campers: the hippy from 3, Shelly from 3, Fox from 3, Veronica (aka Melissa) from 7, and a couple more.

There's a lot of complaints online (go figure) that it's terrible they are not releasing more DLC and some people feel ripped off, which makes no sense. $40 for a game a year ago is fair for what we got; people should be glad they added more content. Back when I bought game cartridges, you got what you got and no one kept giving away free content for the next year.  To me, just having a virtual Friday world to navigate is worth the $40, not to mention a fun ass, if not perfect, game (sure it's glitchy, but overall performs well). They still plan to get dedicated servers (an error on their part from the get go not having them to start with).

Overall, this is a fun game and I plan to continue playing as long as I can find others to join me (and will play offline only if they ever stop supporting servers). I feel confident on that, though. Hell, Everquest is about 20 years old and those servers are still up (I check and play my old characters from time to time).

Let me know if anyone wants to play F13 on PS4 and I will message you my PS4 user name.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »

There are several Jasons you can choose from now:
P2: Sackhead/Steve Dash version
P3: Broker version
P4: Ted White version
P5: Roy
P6: CJ Graham version
P7: Kane Zombie version
P8: Kane Waterlogged version
P9: Kane Melted Milkdud version
You left out two. 

NES Style Jason 

and ... the limited only avalible to backers (and those few people who bought it when it was accidentally avalible on the X-box and Playstation stores, Tom Savini designed Jason escaped from Hell. 

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Friday the 13th the Videogame « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.