Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:11:38 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Comments on websites disturb me « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comments on websites disturb me  (Read 3790 times)
Pacman000
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/parents-need-know-blue-whale-challenge-204459793.html

Ok. Here's an article on a supposed online "game" aimed at teens which forces them to commit suicide. Pretty obvious urban legend, but teen suicides are a problem so this made Yahoo's front page. The comments are what worry me; the top rated comments, when I was reading the article, imply that anyone who would participate in such a game deserve to be removed from the breeding pool.  Buggedout I don't know what to say about that. That's just wrong.  Bluesad
claws
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »

Disgusting, but that's the internet for ya. On a similar note, there was a top rated comment on youtube once that was removed. If I recall correctly it said "I'm no f**king f*g but Kurt Cobain is handsome" #honestfeels #tellingitlikeitis

It disturbs me that so many people would applaud such a bigoted comment.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »

Kids today are all about the trolling. Gotta prove you're not a soft "SJW." Kids used to go liberal to shock their elders, now the pendulum's swung and they go hateful/bigoted. Half of them aren't serious about it. The other half are a***oles who feel emboldened by anonymity.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Yeah, I rarely venture into the comment sections of most web sites because of stuff like this.  With online f**kheads it's a waste of time to try talking to them.

I prefer talking 'bout beer. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »

Its all negative. I usually read thru a few comments to see where people are. Wheather its a news story or a youtube video. Its almost always hateful but ive accepted it at this point. Sometimes its funny, the thread always devolves into name calling and someone being intellectually superior. Oh, and spelling mistakes! As soon as someone misspells something, someone will point it out.  Thats free speech for ya.  How does a red-wine braised turkey recipe turn into a socio-political arguement? I just want to know if this was a good recipe.

exterminate all rational thought.....
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

Oh, and spelling mistakes! As soon as someone misspells something, someone will point it out.  Thats free speech for ya. 

This is a pet peeve of mine. Not being called out because I misspelled something, but calling people out for not being able to navigate what should be a basic skill. Sure, call me a Grammar Nazi or a Spelling Nazi. When you cannot formulate and create a valid, CLEAR comment in the medium in which you respond, the validity and "intelligence" of your comment SHOULD be questioned.

I'm not talking a minor lapse in spelling or grammar. We all do that. When a person consistently displays poor writing skills, I have to begin questioning the person AND her/his/its argument. If a person is too lazy to look up a word, how in f**k am I supposed to trust they did any research into a given topic being commented on?

Unfortunately, part of the "entitlement" attitude online seems to think the tables should be turned and that I am supposed to wade through something that looks like random letters vomited onto the Web and then glean the message behind the gibberish. Yeah, it's MY FAULT that people cannot properly communicate an opinion, and pointing out the ineffectiveness of a person's communication skill makes ME the bad guy. Just like poor Dahmer wouldn't have killed those guys if they had not made themselves available, or that girl was BEGGING to be gang raped because she wore something that made her feel pretty or sexy.

Online culture is toxic, for the most part. My option of choice is to avoid and limit exposure to it. Again, just like grammar and spelling, it boils down to personal responsibility, which is sorely lacking in online culture. Screw that; personal responsibility is lacking everywhere these days.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »

Oh, and spelling mistakes! As soon as someone misspells something, someone will point it out.  Thats free speech for ya. 

This is a pet peeve of mine. Not being called out because I misspelled something, but calling people out for not being able to navigate what should be a basic skill. Sure, call me a Grammar Nazi or a Spelling Nazi. When you cannot formulate and create a valid, CLEAR comment in the medium in which you respond, the validity and "intelligence" of your comment SHOULD be questioned.

I'm not talking a minor lapse in spelling or grammar. We all do that. When a person consistently displays poor writing skills, I have to begin questioning the person AND her/his/its argument. If a person is too lazy to look up a word, how in f**k am I supposed to trust they did any research into a given topic being commented on?

Unfortunately, part of the "entitlement" attitude online seems to think the tables should be turned and that I am supposed to wade through something that looks like random letters vomited onto the Web and then glean the message behind the gibberish. Yeah, it's MY FAULT that people cannot properly communicate an opinion, and pointing out the ineffectiveness of a person's communication skill makes ME the bad guy. Just like poor Dahmer wouldn't have killed those guys if they had not made themselves available, or that girl was BEGGING to be gang raped because she wore something that made her feel pretty or sexy.

Online culture is toxic, for the most part. My option of choice is to avoid and limit exposure to it. Again, just like grammar and spelling, it boils down to personal responsibility, which is sorely lacking in online culture. Screw that; personal responsibility is lacking everywhere these days.

Fair enough, I guess, but when someone uses consistently atrocious spelling or grammar, I just tend to ignore it (and them). I don't get angry or feel the need to call them out. I do sometimes get angry at the troll comments, but I try not to respond because that's what they want.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »

Whenever I see the words "liberal" or "republican", or "SJW" or "snowflake" as a pejoratives, I immediately stop reading that person's comment and move on to the next one.  I absolutely cannot stand when people bring up politics of any kind in online posts that have nothing to do with politics.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »

Fair enough, I guess, but when someone uses consistently atrocious spelling or grammar, I just tend to ignore it (and them). I don't get angry or feel the need to call them out. I do sometimes get angry at the troll comments, but I try not to respond because that's what they want.

I should clarify my comments. It is because of this particular pet peeve that I do not tend to read comments on roughly 90% of the web pages I visit. Basically, I tend to read comments only in situations where I don't understand the context of the posting or references made.

And I always keep in mind the simple philosophy of my father: "Opinions are like arseholes: Everyone has one, and they usually stink."

Oh, by the way, stay off of my yard, ya damned kids!

AoTFan

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 01:17:35 AM »

In some ways it's nothing new... anonymity always seems to bring out the assmonkies.  As for political stuff, I remember years back when I used read a lot of Yahoo articles (back when they actually had diverse sources of news) and in EVERY comment section (w/o) fail, no matter WHAT the article was about, there was always someone who say, "GWB is a (fill in the blank) and/or is to blame for the situation at hand." and "Al Gore invented (whatever the article was about.)"

Seriously. 

Now, granted, this was during the period was still touring heavily with his lecture on global warming, but still.. EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE.

The article could be about rare species of a grasshopper that's pink and someone would say "Al Gore invented grasshoppers." 

(sigh)

Oh, BTW, if you're wondering, I'm not just making up random examples, there REALLY ARE pink grasshoppers.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:06 AM »

YouTube commenters are the worst.  I was trying to find a video on the 9/11 attacks for my Modern America class, and someone actually wrote: "There were NO planes. There were NO hijackers!"  I guess they think the CIA did it all with mirrors and holograms.

Stuff like that deeply offends me.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »

DUH, Pink grasshoppers have been oppressed by systematic institutional extermination, because of  acridophobics like you!   If you read a book, you would know this. Thanks to GWB and his fellow globalist fashist raycist homofobic new-world-order bigot good-ol' boy corny-capitalist friends, Green grasshoppers recieve grass subsideez to control the grass market and block katydids and crickets from recieving the grass that they need. The flatulence of green grasshoppers is also causing the earths temperature to increase by 1.0000009 degrees every year. Pandas will tell you this! its science, bro. I dont expect you to undertand because your a green grass hopper simpthizer. I have a degree in byzintanian filllosofy and celtic poetry, ok?  therefore i am of superior intelek. its called science, bro, read a book. go back to Arkansaw. and with that I drop the mike. #Imsoimportant, #Ducklips, #HannaMontana.

exterminate all rational thought.....
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »

DUH, Pink grasshoppers have been oppressed by systematic institutional extermination, because of  acridophobics like you!   If you read a book, you would know this. Thanks to GWB and his fellow globalist fashist raycist homofobic new-world-order bigot good-ol' boy corny-capitalist friends, Green grasshoppers recieve grass subsideez to control the grass market and block katydids and crickets from recieving the grass that they need. The flatulence of green grasshoppers is also causing the earths temperature to increase by 1.0000009 degrees every year. Pandas will tell you this! its science, bro. I dont expect you to undertand because your a green grass hopper simpthizer. I have a degree in byzintanian filllosofy and celtic poetry, ok?  therefore i am of superior intelek. its called science, bro, read a book. go back to Arkansaw. and with that I drop the mike. #Imsoimportant, #Ducklips, #HannaMontana.

Okay, that was funny. But you left out "Don't fergit, this is (insert current president)'s fawlt becuss he's trying to kill off the por pepple." Variations on that always tend to appear, and I hear it EVERY SINGLE DAY from veterans, except they say, "The government just wants us to die and go away." Circumstantial evidence could actually support that, but that's an utterly different topic.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 07:54:52 AM »

I usually don't read the comments on articles because trolls/ and people who feel to be edgy make comments to be noticed and called out on.

yeah no.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Comments on websites disturb me « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.