Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:52:34 AM
714259 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Odd Things You Find Unsettling « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Odd Things You Find Unsettling  (Read 7261 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »

I find it unsettling to face the recurring realization, as I do often, usually as I'm going to sleep, that one day I will die. I WILL. No ifs, I will. The day will come. I shall perish, pass away, stop, cease, end, coda. My personality will be unwoven, my knowledge and memories dissolve, I will become a late person, a former somebody, one who occupies the past tense. Whether I'll then be a voyager through the undiscovered country or merely a one-time collection of atoms, now applied elsewhere, time will tell, but the hour will come. No matter how settled into my left brain that truth may be, the realization always seems to hit my right brain with all the force of a news flash, and I jolt awake and think....even me?

I'm going to die...

I'm going to die.

Believe it or not I am not a person of faith. Faith is not in me. I believe the most logical explanation for the claims that Jesus rose from the dead are that Jesus rose from the dead, and from that I gather hope, hope that gives purposeful order to my life, for wisdom says the teachings of one who can rise from the dead should be heeded, but hope is not the same thing as faith, and in the brutal honesty of night's stillness it still strikes me like a slap: yes, tonight, tomorrow, sixty years, a hundred, I am unquestionably going to die.

And that unsettles me more than anything else in this life except one thing-----those I love are going to die, too.

The future. The future unsettles me. I'd much rather hold onto now.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 12:27:30 AM »

Sunny days. Where not a cloud is in the sky. Like I should be outside doing something constructive-but I got nothing. I feel like when I go outside-the sun is glaring at me. I feel like screaming at the sky "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME???".

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »

I find it unsettling to face the recurring realization, as I do often, usually as I'm going to sleep, that one day I will die. I WILL. No ifs, I will. The day will come. I shall perish, pass away, stop, cease, end, coda. My personality will be unwoven, my knowledge and memories dissolve, I will become a late person, a former somebody, one who occupies the past tense. Whether I'll then be a voyager through the undiscovered country or merely a one-time collection of atoms, now applied elsewhere, time will tell, but the hour will come. No matter how settled into my left brain that truth may be, the realization always seems to hit my right brain with all the force of a news flash, and I jolt awake and think....even me?

I'm going to die...

I'm going to die.

Believe it or not I am not a person of faith. Faith is not in me. I believe the most logical explanation for the claims that Jesus rose from the dead are that Jesus rose from the dead, and from that I gather hope, hope that gives purposeful order to my life, for wisdom says the teachings of one who can rise from the dead should be heeded, but hope is not the same thing as faith, and in the brutal honesty of night's stillness it still strikes me like a slap: yes, tonight, tomorrow, sixty years, a hundred, I am unquestionably going to die.

And that unsettles me more than anything else in this life except one thing-----those I love are going to die, too.

Just believe.  When you believe, faith follows after.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »

I'm going to die...

I'm going to die.

Just believe.  When you believe, faith follows after.

Yeeeahhh.....noooooo.... Bluesad
I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Basing a belief  system on pure 'faith' is insane.
Don't get me wrong! If it makes you a better-more peaceful person-I'm all for it.
BUT-I don't usually see that happening. You,Indy,my friend-are the exception to the rule.
Most folks who base their beliefs in  ancient religions end up fighting each other.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:33:14 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »

Maybe they're not doing it right!    Wink

I'll tell you this right now, my friend:  At this moment, my faith is carrying me through a very difficult time. 
And - there are more like me than you might realize.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »

Maybe they're not doing it right!    Wink

I'll tell you this right now, my friend:  At this moment, my faith is carrying me through a very difficult time.  
And - there are more like me than you might realize.
Indy,my brother-if it works for you-and harms no on else-I'm all for it. You,my friend-are a true Christian.
Me-I'm way too cynical. Which likely has made my life worse-but I can't help it.  Bluesad It's just who I am.
I find religion to be awful and scary. I just can't do it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:59:38 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »

Don't embrace organized religion.
Simply embrace Jesus.  Read what He taught; live how He lived.
All the other stuff is window dressing.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »

Don't embrace organized religion.
Simply embrace Jesus.  Read what He taught; live how He lived.
All the other stuff is window dressing.
Thats nice-sadly-thats not how most folks think. Most fight and kill over it. Big turn off,man.
The Crusades-and The Muslim Jihad, and every other little thing that folks feel the need to push the "agenda" of their belief.
f**k all that.
I'm an atheist for many reasons-the war factor is the top of the list-the just plan illogical factor is a close second.
The "love your brother" thing seems to only work if you are of the same belief system. Otherwise it's "love your brother if he conforms to your belief." And I'm guilty of that . I should be more open minded-but I'm not. I think I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I'm working on that. I really am trying to be more tolerant.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:32:51 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »

Thats why I haven't been online here lately. I attacked some folks for their political beliefs-and I felt awful for it afterwards. I was becoming what I hate.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »

This has been a deeply divisive political season, and it's not getting any better.
But at the same time, we are all bound by our common humanity, our hopes for the future, and our love of Bad Movies.
This place would lose a big chunk of its soul if you left, Ronnie.  So hang around, and rant about whatever you want!
We love ya regardless!

javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »

I find all this religion and politics to be unsettling.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Okay, yeah, I'll just show myself out.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »

Want to head to the bar and watch the s**t storm unfold?

yeah no.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 10:58:32 PM »

Want to head to the bar and watch the s**t storm unfold?

That, my friend, is why I do NOT go to bars anymore. Drunken s**t storms are unsettling, especially if I'm caught in the middle of said storm. But thanks for the offer.   Cheers

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »

I havent been to a bar in over 30 years.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Paquita

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 10:16:33 PM »

The sound of bells ringing drives me crazy.  I almost don't even want to post it because someone could probably use them to enslave me.  If the volume is light, like wind chimes, I get very aggressive, but if it's super loud like a gong or nearby church bells, I just want to curl up and disappear.  If I hear them on TV or a radio, it's not so bad.

I'm going to die...

I'm going to die.

This happens to me in the middle of the night too.  Not as I'm drifting off to sleep though, but when I wake up suddenly, as if the thought was so jarring that it startled me awake.  I also had a chronic obsessive fear of the end of the world for over 10 years.  The fear would hit me like a brick at random times of the day and was sometimes bad enough to make me terribly depressed for weeks at a time.  As you said, it wasn't the fear of my own death that was most frightening, but for all the things and people that I love.  I somehow got over it, but I don't exactly remember how, maybe I just worried it out of myself.  It still bothers me when people talk about it, especially nonchalantly because I think it was a flippant comment that triggered the fear to start.   I do remember it bothering me as a child too, but the thought of being a teenager one day and having as much fun as I saw my older sister having was enough for me to get over it.  I guess once I realized I don't have that thought to comfort me anymore it came back.  Ha!

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Odd Things You Find Unsettling « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.