Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:19 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  RINGS (2016) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: RINGS (2016)  (Read 4996 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: May 13, 2017, 02:25:04 AM »

THE RING is one of my all time favorite horror movies, both for its very effective scares and its convoluted, dark plot.  They tried to recapture the magic in THE RING II and failed miserably - it ranks right up there with HIGHLANDER II - THE QUICKENING and HALLOWEEN 3 as one of the most dismal sequels of all time.
So when I heard they were doing a sequel/reboot, I was very skeptical of it at first.
But my daughters saw it in the theater and said it was very good, and having watched it tonight on Blu-Ray, I am inclined to agree.
Samarra is back, and more evil than ever!  The haunted video continues to be copied and circulated and people continue to die.
Now a college professor (played by the guy who plays Leonard on BIG BANG THEORY) has a copy of it, and is studying the video and students' responses to it; always copying it and showing it to someone else just in time to keep them from dying.
But then the girlfriend of one of his students watches it - and her copy WON'T COPY.  Not only that, it's longer than the original. There is an addition to the video, another creepy sequence.  Samarra is trying to communicate - but what is her real message?  What is her purpose?

Nicely done all the way around, a much more worthy sequel to the original than the other.  4.5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:09:12 AM »

The new one might be interesting, but I'm rather biased against any American version. I watched the original RINGU before watching the American remake. The original made for a very creepy film. Unfortunately, for me, the American version, even with Naomi Watts (loved her since TANK GIRL), was bloated and unnecessary.

If RINGS makes it to Netflix or something similar, I may give it a try.

Then again, you did like SUCKER PUNCH....   Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:59 AM »

I guess it's all what you see first.  I saw the American version first, fell in love with it, then watched RINGU and was NOT impressed.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:37:13 AM »

I still need to watch that one. While being a fan of the japanese ones (Sadako 3D and its sequel kinda sucked though...), I still liked The Ring as a remake (together with the korean one The Ring Virus). But even if it is any good, it just can't be as entertaining and fun as Sadako vs. Kayako.

claws
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »

I watched the original Ringu before watching the American remake, and I liked the remake better. Go figure.

I've only read bad things about Rings but I will still check it out eventually.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »

A phase of watching Japanese cinema brought me to Ringu, which I thought was great.  Then when The Ring with Naomi Watts was released, I thought it was good but not 'cool' in the same way.

There was a similar reaction to Ju-On, remade as The Grudged with Sarah Michelle Gellar.  Great as a Japanese original and kind of hokey Hollywood as an American remake.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »

a much more worthy sequel to the original than the other

The Ring 2 was baaaad
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »

Something we DEFINITELY agree on!!  Worst CGI deer ever!!

Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »

Weren't there two versions of Ringu, a TV version and a theatrical release?

This new Rings movie does sound interesting...
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »

I haven't seen Rings, I've heard good things about it though. 

As for the Japanese vs original, I liked the American Ring better than the Japanese, but I liked the Jpaanese Grudge better than the American.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »

Weren't there two versions of Ringu, a TV version and a theatrical release?

This new Rings movie does sound interesting...

Yes, the theatrical version of 1998 was a version of the Japanese TV movie of 1995.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »

Not a bad movie. I didnt understand the first scene on the plane. Wasnt that the same girl on the plane that was killed in her apartment after she tried to trick the main girl into watching the video?

exterminate all rational thought.....
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 05:56:17 PM »

And....while i was watching this, i was thinking: 
This girl is trying to save her boyfriend because he watched the tape. He only has so much time before he dies unless he gets someone else to watch it, passing the curse on to them. Instead of both of them watching it and being "in this together". He could have let her watch it, wait, then she could watch it, wait, the he could watch it, repeat. There! Problem solved! They could probably even document it and make some money! Proof that the afterlife exists!  Thats a win win!

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »

Shouldn't it be a cursed DVD or a Bluray now? Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »

you have opened a can of worms:

would a new 4k transfer make the curse worse?

If the video were watched on a full sized theater screen, would she be a giant?

If you watched the video on your smart phone, would she be very small, like a smurf?

If you watched the video with a virtual realty headset, would she crawl directly into your eye sockets?

If someone watches the video but cant really see( legally blind, near sighted, or far sighted), does that count?

what if a monkey or a hamster watches the video?

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  RINGS (2016) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.