Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:17 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mummy (2017) Discussion and Spoilers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mummy (2017) Discussion and Spoilers  (Read 4528 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: June 11, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »

Its dull and not really worth it.  The "Dark Universe"  doesn't seem to be able to get off to a good start.  You may remember that they tried to start one with Dracula Untold back in 2014.  Much like DC comic's Green Lantern that movie under performed and they tried later with a fresh start.  But, much like how Superman: Man of Steel also was critically panned, Universal seems to be in a position of "We've either got to commit to one, or give up on it entirely"  

Ultimately, its biggest problem is one I kind of had with Kong: Skull Island or Warcraft.  Two movies I actually liked, but could see the flaws.  This is a set-up movie.  Far more focused on setting up sequels then being its own movie.

Design:    There's some nice little bits of set design with the tomb/prison of Ahmanet (the Mummy), as well as some back alleys and dark churches that give off a classic monster movie feel.  Ahmanet herself however really is nothing special.  She's a partially decayed corpse at the beginning, the later changes into a sexy mummy Halloween costume with writing over her body.  

The scene with the Dark Universe's equivalent of S.H.E.I.L.D has a few neat little Easter Eggs for the viewer to notice.  Both to the classic Universal monsters and the 1999 movie series.  

Its story is enough for a movie like this.  But for "The Dark Universe" its never scary enough to be horror.  Never fun enough or enough action to be anything else.  

And Ahmanet herself never really felt like much of a threat.  Her only real display of power is the one you see in the trailers, and it takes a lot from the 1999 film.  She's able to bring the ones she's  killed back to life as zombie-esque servants, but their about as useful as the henchmen in a campy superhero show. You know what I'm talking about.  And she's seemingly taken out way too easy.  Its played up like its a big deal, but never really feels that way.

The odd thing about Universal Studio's new monster Cinematic Universe is that they don't get their monsters in proper balance to the story.  In Dracula Untold  The Count's the hero, but he's so overpowered he becomes kind of boring.  But in The Mummy Ammanet the villain  is under powered, that she doesn't ever feel like the bringer of the Apocalypse that we're told she is.

Really all I've got to say about this one.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Archivist

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »

Yeah, I'm not hearing good things about this, despite quite looking forward to it.  I'll see it in the cinema if I can scrape together some hours.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »

Damn. The trailer made it look promising. I cringed when i heard about the universal monsters reboot thing. Why cant they they just make a basic monster movie? All you need is some atmosphere, a little suspense, a little story and a descent looking monster. These stories need to be period pieces not modernized in your face blockbusters! Im ranting again, its very simple though.

Ok, if you had to choose;
The mummy (brendan frasier)  or The mummy (tom cruise)?

exterminate all rational thought.....
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:34 AM »

Damn. The trailer made it look promising. I cringed when i heard about the universal monsters reboot thing. Why cant they they just make a basic monster movie? All you need is some atmosphere, a little suspense, a little story and a descent looking monster. These stories need to be period pieces not modernized in your face blockbusters! Im ranting again, its very simple though.

Ok, if you had to choose;
The mummy (brendan frasier)  or The mummy (tom cruise)?

Neither: Boris Karloff or Sir Christopher Lee  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »

Nope. The classics are an easy choice. If you had to pick, brendan or tom? Im trying to get an idea of how bad the mummy is.

WingedSerpent

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »

Nope. The classics are an easy choice. If you had to pick, brendan or tom? Im trying to get an idea of how bad the mummy is.

I take it your not a fan of the Brenden Fraser mummy movies.  To each his own, but I rather liked them.  They were more fun, and consistent in tone, and had more likeable characters.  This new one is diffidently worse.

kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:26:45 AM »

I actually like the brendan fraiser movies, the first two, for some reason i couldnt watch more than 10 minutes of the third. Theyre really campy and fun. The cgi was just horrible though. I like them but i know they are not good movies. I was hoping the new mummy would lean more towards horror and be darker instead of a mission impossible action type thing. 
Does anyone know of any good modern mummy movies, if they exist?

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:20:21 AM »

THE PYRAMID was quite good.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »

Does anyone know of any good modern mummy movies, if they exist?

Bubba-Hotep
Small | Large

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »

I like the Universal Monsters.  I want to see the Universal Monsters back on the big screen.  It's just this Mummy and that Dracula movie they did a while back?  That's just not them. 
Archivist

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

Universal Monsters: I grew up watching those movies, as well as the Hammer Horror films, so anything from that spread of time gets my vote.  A reboot of the Universal Monster franchise ought to be made well.  Dracula Untold was very cool but didn't cut it, for whatever reason.

Brendan Fraser vs Tom Cruise: The Brendan Fraser movies felt like a throwback to the wild adventure movies of the 80's like Indiana Jones, whereas the Tom Cruise movie looks like a much more serious take.  I loved the first Brendan Fraser Mummy; the second was quite good, and the third was an abhorrence that should be banished to the DVD bargain bin.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
WingedSerpent

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »

I like the Universal Monsters.  I want to see the Universal Monsters back on the big screen.  It's just this Mummy and that Dracula movie they did a while back?  That's just not them. 

I don't think Dracula Untold is being considered a part of this new cinematic universe. Its like Green Lantern movie for the DCEU.  A false start.

According to Wikipedia, next is a Bride of Frankenstein. Scheduled for 2019
Some are currently in preproduction
TBA:
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Invisible Man
Van Helsing
Wolfman
Frankenstein
Dracula
Phantom of the Opera
Hunchback of Notre Dame

While I could see some of those working in a modern setting (which might be what their going for),  I don't know if Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre-Dame could be successfully modernized.  They might work better as period pieces.    I cringe at the idea that the Phantom would be stalking his obsession via social media.

Strangley, one monster is not on the the list. 

Spoilers
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Dr. Jekyll and Mr.  Hyde are in this new Mummy movie in a pretty important role.  Yet they...him...don't seem to be getting a new feature film.

End Spoilers
n
d

S
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »

I don't think Dracula Untold is being considered a part of this new cinematic universe. Its like Green Lantern movie for the DCEU.  A false start.
It's not, but it was meant to be before everybody started hating it. 

Well, maybe hating is the wrong word.  Everybody was strongly indifferent to it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mummy (2017) Discussion and Spoilers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.