Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:54:00 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  As emotionally impactful as Star Wars? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: As emotionally impactful as Star Wars?  (Read 6421 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 25, 2017, 11:26:25 PM »

Whenever a new Star Wars movie is released, I think back to the time I saw the A New Hope in the cinema in the late 70's.  I was just a kid, barely at school, and the movie was like nothing I had ever seen before.  It was all I could talk about for days and days, and that's just my personal story.  The huge following that Star Wars has maintained over the years attests to its emotional impact.

The next closest thing for me is The Matrix (1998).  That movie blew me away, and had I seen it as a child, it would have emblazoned itself on my mind in the same way as Star Wars.

What other movies have had this level of 'world altering' impact?  What are the kids of today watching that are grabbing them in a similar manner?  And what movie was a cinematic turning point in your life?

Highlander?
Raiders of the Lost Ark?
Close Encounters?
The Lord of the Rings?
The Dark Knight?
Singing In The Rain?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »

My 7th grade girlfriend (now my wife) and I saw STAR WARS in the theater together in 1977.  It blew us both away and created a fandom that has lasted a lifetime.  Very few movies have had a similar impact, but here are a few for me:

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - Wow!  That 20 minute sequence of the Normandy landings had me crying and shaking on the big screen, knowing that this was what my Dad was training to do in Japan when the war ended.

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - I discovered Tolkein when I was a teen, and had waited twenty years for this movie.  It was worth every day of the wait. INCREDIBLE cinematic experience!

SUCKER PUNCH - Yeah, I know, some people will laugh.  But this mind-bending movie took me outside myself and inspired multiple repeat viewings.  I still quote it on occasion.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:48:23 AM »

Nightbreed - a very special movie for me. Being troubled and alienated in my youth, i always wanted to find a place to be myself and be accepted. This movie represents that for me.

Fight club - a very spiritual movie for me. Yes its somewhat nihilistic and self desructive but theres this theme of rejecting materialism and things that arent important. That really speaks to me on a personal level. Theres some really great philosophy within: " the things you own, end up owning you". Oh, and that pixies song at the end, gives me chills.

Neverending story - theres a little girl that cries inside me when i watch this or hear the song.

Labyrinth - god i miss jim henson. The music, the characters.

The dark crystal - fn beautiful!

Ok, im trying to stop now. Those are some of my special movies.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:10:34 AM »

@kakihara - don't stop, keep going!  It's fascinating to see the kinds of movies that have emotionally impacted people, and why.

@indy - you mentioned Saving Private Ryan, and how you felt about it.  A friend of mine had a related experience when he went to Turkey about 20 years ago.  The movie Gallipoli (1981) was very popular in Australia, and the soundtrack featured Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre.  My friend was a huge Jarre fan, and was also a fan of the movie.  He went to the beach at Gallipoli and was overcome by the sense of what had happened there, as portrayed by the movie.

Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy has affected me deeply.  On the opening night of The Dark Knight Rises, I watched the first two movies in the cinema beforehand, and it was like going on an entire journey in seven hours.  It resonates with me so much about doing what you know you need to do, about getting back up after failing, and even supplies me with inspiration for work.  If I find myself flagging or in a rut, I watch the final scene from The Dark Knight Rises and it reminds me that anything is possible.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:19 AM »

Movies are a big part of my life and form a big part of my working life.

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS: I saw this aged 7 and it marked me forever - I was a confirmed movie goer after that: still am, 43 years later.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: When I saw this, I felt as though I was part of the film, rather than just sitting there watching the thing.

SHANGANI PATROL: the first film about my birth country's turbulent history: I screened this film about ten years ago to a very receptive audience of over 100 people - fittingly, my Mom was in the audience and my Dad was with me in the projection booth.

STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME: the first movie I saw when I came to this country in 1987. I remember crying at the end, a kind of sad / happy cry.

FURIOUS 7: Paul Walker's death hit me almost as hard as Princess Diana's - almost all of the people in the audience were hit in the feels by the ending.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:13:42 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 04:30:02 AM »

Movies are a big part of my life and form a big part of my working life.

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS: I saw this aged 7 and it marked me forever - I was a confirmed movie goer after that: still am, 43 years later.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: When I saw this, I felt as though I was part of the film, rather than just sitting there watching the thing.

SHANGANI PATROL: the first film about my birth country's turbulent history: I screened this film about ten years ago to a very receptive audience of over 100 people - fittingly, my Mom was in the audience and my Dad was with me in the projection booth.

STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME: the first movie I saw when I came to this country in 1987. I remember crying at the end, a kind of sad / happy cry.

FURIOUS 7: Paul Walker's death hit me almost as hard as Princess Diana's - almost all of the people in the audience were hit in the feels by the ending.

I must see Murder On The Orient Express.  Was it the 1974 movie?

Raiders of the Lost Ark blew me away, it was nuts for a little kid to see.  So exciting and engaging!  The Temple Of Doom freaked me out with the heart-ripping, though.

Fascinating about Shanghai Patrol, I must catch that one, too.

I saw Furious 7 with some family friends, and a 12 year old kid was with us.  Huge Paul Walker fan.  He was in tears at the end of the movie, and I gave him tissues.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 08:16:15 AM »

I must see Murder On The Orient Express.  Was it the 1974 movie?

Yes: I see some [expletive deleted] has now remade it! Why??

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:48 AM »

SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE:  Stumbled upon this on cable and was charmed, tickled, shocked, and reduced to tears. Went right out, bought the novel, read it, and had another and much different emotionally intense experience. The power of Vonnegut's work is channeled, though to a much lesser degree, in the film. Just the story of a simple Everyman who finds himself unstuck in his own timeline, so that he finds himself living through random portions of his entire life.

BREAKER MORANT:  Being ignorant of the Boer War, I watched this film while out of my gourd on herbal therapy. It was like being trapped in a nightmare that just keeps getting worse and worse, then it takes it even further. As the ending progressed, I kept telling myself, "No, this isn't how this ends. They can't do this." Started hyperventilating and crying. Felt like I'd been shot when it was over.

Yeah, and there's a few others. To be honest, Star Wars, while awesome in its old days, did not have the depth these films did, but it made up for it in longevity. I was a Star Wars fan right up to Lucas' betrayal of all things wonderful about the original trilogy. Ah, well.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »

BREAKER MORANT:  Being ignorant of the Boer War, I watched this film while out of my gourd on herbal therapy. It was like being trapped in a nightmare that just keeps getting worse and worse, then it takes it even further. As the ending progressed, I kept telling myself, "No, this isn't how this ends. They can't do this." Started hyperventilating and crying. Felt like I'd been shot when it was over.

When I screened this for students earlier in the year, they laughed at Edward Woodward's "Shoot straight, you bastards, don't make a mess ol it!" and then there was an audible, collective gasp when Morant and Handcock are shot. They were not expecting that.  Buggedout

Archivist

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 01:22:25 AM »

SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE:  Stumbled upon this on cable and was charmed, tickled, shocked, and reduced to tears. Went right out, bought the novel, read it, and had another and much different emotionally intense experience. The power of Vonnegut's work is channeled, though to a much lesser degree, in the film. Just the story of a simple Everyman who finds himself unstuck in his own timeline, so that he finds himself living through random portions of his entire life.

Yeah, and there's a few others. To be honest, Star Wars, while awesome in its old days, did not have the depth these films did, but it made up for it in longevity. I was a Star Wars fan right up to Lucas' betrayal of all things wonderful about the original trilogy. Ah, well.

I've heard good things about Slaughterhouse Five, and a still from the scene with a topless Valerie Perrine has lnng fascinated me.  I'll get the film and book and see where it takes me.

It has just occurred to me that Avatar (2009) might be a Star Wars of that generation, assuming the viewers were young enough to have no experience with Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, The Last Samurai, and similar movies.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »

ROCKY - When I saw it during its original theatrical release everyone in the theater was standing and cheering during the Balboa / Creed fight. It was like being at a live sporting event. I had never experienced anything like it in a movie theater. I'll probably never experience anything like it again. Unfortunately, the sequels and other Stallone movies turned ROCKY into a joke. But at the time, it was electric.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 01:34:01 AM »

I didn't mention this:

I was invited to the Cape Town premiere in 2010: the film left me in tears and emotionally drained, I couldn't eat or sleep that night and had nightmares when I did drop off. One of the most brutal, violent and depressing films I have ever seen but a masterpiece.

Now look at who directed it: yes, it is him and yes, it was a truly wonderful cinema experience.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »

.In 1967  (I was 5) I saw FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943). I've been hooked on monster movies ever since.
.PLANET OF THE APES (1968) was my first theater experience. I was amazed.
.the BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (1959). Don't laugh-I saw this on late night TV in 1972-scared the s**t out of me. When the monster busted out of the closet-in all his lop-eyed,cone head ugliness-my step brother Jimmy ran from the room and hid in the bathroom. Perhaps this formed my outlook that BAD movies could be GOOD.
.the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) I thought-by the advanced age of 12-I couldn't be scared of horror films anymore-thrilled-fascinated-but not scared. I was wrong.

I saw STAR WARS on it's initial release back in the day...did nothing for me. The F/X were good-but not groundbreaking. 2001 had been there done that. And the story was more or less a rehash of FLASH GORDON space opera. I wasn't impressed. In fact-after all the bally-hoo I heard at school-I felt cheated.  About the same way seeing the 1976 KING KONG-just-blah.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:28:12 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »

Before I post this I must point out that the thread title is "As emotionally impactful as Star Wars?" That does not preclude bad movies; if the film impacted you, you can include it. With that in mind I give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eUE5TmBaM

I feel silly admitting this, but getting the VHS back in the day was a big deal. To my ten-year-old mind it was powerful. There was mystery! (Which I knew the answer to, which made me feel good.) There was a nice anti-fighting moral. (Which even when I was ten seemed like an attempt mitigate parental complaints. The TV show already distinguished between contests, which were okay in its universe, and plain old-fighting, which was not.) There was a memorable song (Brother, My Brother.) And it came with a trading card! That's cool right?

Today, the mystery's so obvious it's embarrassing, the moral really seems forced, and that song's so dated and poorly mixed with the rest of the sound track it's painful. (I could go on.)  Doesn't matter; it still had an impact back-in-the day, so I still kinda like it.

At least the trading card's still cool, right?  Smile
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »

Before I post this I must point out that the thread title is "As emotionally impactful as Star Wars?" That does not preclude bad movies; if the film impacted you, you can include it. With that in mind I give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eUE5TmBaM

I feel silly admitting this, but getting the VHS back in the day was a big deal. To my ten-year-old mind it was powerful. There was mystery! (Which I knew the answer to, which made me feel good.) There was a nice anti-fighting moral. (Which even when I was ten seemed like an attempt mitigate parental complaints. The TV show already distinguished between contests, which were okay in its universe, and plain old-fighting, which was not.) There was a memorable song

(Brother, My Brother.) And it came with a trading card! That's cool right? They had the cards-and toys and marbles and and and!AHHH! This was just after they're Power Rangers obsession.

Today, the mystery's so obvious it's embarrassing, the moral really seems forced, and that song's so dated and poorly mixed with the rest of the sound track it's painful. (I could go on.)  Doesn't matter; it still had an impact back-in-the day, so I still kinda like it.

At least the trading card's still cool, right?  Smile

Doesn't seem strange to me. I bought it for my kids back in the day.-They watched it every f**kING DAY.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  As emotionally impactful as Star Wars? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.