Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:31:05 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Castlevania the series « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Castlevania the series  (Read 6328 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 11, 2017, 05:34:24 PM »

Am the only one just NOW hearing about this?

Yeah, they got an animated Castlevania series on Netflix.  Couldn't really tell you a lot about it, as I don't have Netflix.  In fact, I only know about it because James Rolfe did a mini-review on Youtube.  I'm told it's based on Castlevania III and, so far in the first four eps, they've introduced Dracula, Trevor, Sypha and Alucard (James and I both wonder where Grant is).

Been told it's already been renewed for a second season.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:09:17 PM by AoTFan » Logged
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:40 AM »

It's a great show so far.

My sister and Dad don't even play Castlevania and they like it.

kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »

Havent watched it yet but it looks good. The animation style reminds me of devil may cry, maybe from the same company? A cant help but think of simon belmont from captain n.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »

Havent watched it yet but it looks good. The animation style reminds me of devil may cry, maybe from the same company? A cant help but think of simon belmont from captain n.

Thankfully, it's not like Captain N at all.

Actually the first season is (mostly) centered around Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.
In other words, Simon wasn't born yet. The only Belmont in the show so far is Simon's father: Trevor.

AoTFan

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »

For the record, of the four endings to Castlevania 3 for the NES, I thought the one with Sypha was the best. :)
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »

For the record, of the four endings to Castlevania 3 for the NES, I thought the one with Sypha was the best. :)

I tried it for the first time recently and good god it has the worst intro to any game ever.
In fact I've never seen more juvenile writing in a video game.
The game itself is good but whoever translated the opening scene must think children are complete idiots.

During 15th Century Europe, there lived a person named Dracula. He practiced sorcery in order to create a bad world filled with evil.

He began taking over the Continent of Europe, changing countries from good to bad. The good people of Europe tried to fight off Dracula, but on one was able to survive.

Finally, the Belmont family was summoned to battle Dracula's vile forces. The Belmont family has a long histroy of fighting evil.

The townspeople became afraid of the Belmonts super-human power and asked them to leave the country. Fortunately the people found a mighty Belmont, called Trevor.

The curse of Dracula has begun. The fate of Europe lies with Trevor.

The part about asking the Belmonts to leave the country is really funny to me, especially after watching the show.
Obviously they were very polite about it.  Lookingup

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »

I haven't seen any of the episodes, but with a character named Trevor, I can't help but picture our Trevor in the role. Go! Trevor! Go!
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 05:39:18 AM »

Never really had the chance to get into the classic Castlevanias...played alot of Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS-Games.
But even without any knowledge about the story I was able to enjoy this 4-part miniseries. Good animation, interesting characters and a good chunk of enjoyable violence...what more can you want in this world.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 12:46:08 AM »

Never really had the chance to get into the classic Castlevanias...played alot of Symphony of the Night and the GBA/DS-Games.
But even without any knowledge about the story I was able to enjoy this 4-part miniseries. Good animation, interesting characters and a good chunk of enjoyable violence...what more can you want in this world.

My first Castlevania game was Dracula X Chronicles on PSP.
Yet, ironically, I don't like the classic Castlevanias much. I prefer the RPG hybrid types like Symphony Of The Night.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »

So far it's been fairly entertaining, although it could use more giant monster battles. 

bad world filled with evil.
Frankly, I love this part.  It just feels so ... bad movie.   
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »

So far it's been fairly entertaining, although it could use more giant monster battles. 

Y'Mean like this thing?

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »

That's not the monster that first came to mind, but stuff like that, yeah. 
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:47:21 AM »

That's not the monster that first came to mind, but stuff like that, yeah. 

Ahhh... I gotcha.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 12:23:18 AM »

Get it? I'm showing all of the really gross bosses.

Jim H

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »

The game itself is good but whoever translated the opening scene must think children are complete idiots.

That's actually a somewhat solid intro by the standards of the NES, though not quite Ninja Gaiden.

The original Japanese intro is indeed better, more appropriately Gothic in tone.  

! No longer available Small | Large

The changes to the intro are likely NOA censorship.  Nintendo of America was heavy-handed with censorship for the western localizations of many games, Castlevania III in particular we know some Christian symbolism and nudity was cut.  Luckily, Nintendo eventually largely abandoned this censorship in later systems.

That said, I enjoy the series and I hope Grant is in the second season - he was always my chosen companion, though if any of the three mains in Castlevania III has to be cut, he clearly makes the most sense as he has little do after this story.

This series is probably the best video game adaptation made in the west thus far, right?  Recommended for fans and non fans alike.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:10:21 PM by Jim H » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Castlevania the series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.