Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:34 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Another rejection « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another rejection  (Read 3175 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 12, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »

Had an interview Monday for a part time job at a local store and I just got an email this morning saying that they, "...decided not to go forward with my application."  What sucks is they don't bother telling me why.  I mean, I have some ideas, but I just wish they'd confirm or deny so that I'd know whether or not to bother trying again in the next six months.

I really, really don't know what to do anymore, guys.  I'm literally running out of places to apply that I haven't already applied to before (most more than once). Been working with the Department of Rehabilitation and even with the guy from there helping me with leads, I still haven't found anything.  In fact, the supervisor for my cases said they're going to have to close my file "in a few months" if there's no "progress." 

Meanwhile my mom, who's pushing 68, works nearly full time to save for retirement and support us, so I feel like a big anchor around her neck.

(sigh)

Like I said, I don't know what to do... I'm tired.  I'm trying my best, but it feels hopeless. :(
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »

I've been job hunting since May of last year, and Ive been rejected from all of the companies that I applied to.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »

Have you thought about maybe starting your own business? Selling things? Re-selling things?

No joke, I know a man who got out of jail and started hanging up flyers that he'd come clean up dog poo in yards, and today he runs the business while several people work for him.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
AoTFan

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »

Have you thought about maybe starting your own business? Selling things? Re-selling things?

No joke, I know a man who got out of jail and started hanging up flyers that he'd come clean up dog poo in yards, and today he runs the business while several people work for him.

I've been trying that... like I said, I work from home through some website and try to buy/re-sell things on eBay.  So far, the money hasn't been great, but it (usually) keeps me from having to borrow money to pay for gas, meds and my phone bill.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »

Too bad you're not an illegal immigrant. Seems like every business I know is hiring those right now.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »

I don't know what to say, but . . .

If you really want to know why you were rejected, and no reason was given for your rejection, then go back to the person who rejected you and ask why you were rejected, as it may give you some idea as what to do and say the next time. And since you seem to be working with someone to help you find a job, I would get specific with that person about the problem I have being hired for a job, and why I am having a problem being hired, if you have not already done so.

I hope this helps, at least a little, because I really don't know more what I can say.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »

I know its hard and not much people can say is going to help, unless its "Your hired", but keep trying. I don't know what sort of things they have in your area, but when I was younger I did attend a course which was geared towards helping people with interview techiniques, CV writing and so on. If anything like that is being run in your area might be worth a try?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »

the crappy restaurant I worked at had inmates working there, you could try restaurants

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
AoTFan

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:14:02 PM »

the crappy restaurant I worked at had inmates working there, you could try restaurants

I have... had a few interviews at a couple, but no bites so far.  Course, I think part of the problem is in a lot restaurant positions you gotta be fast on your feet and I don't exactly fit that profile.  

Lately, I've been trying to update my Upwork profile see if I can some work from there.  Got people at another web board sending me stuff to Photoshop so build up my profile.  Plus, I'm thinking of adding the comic I just did... So, who knows?  

I'm trying to just stay positive.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:24:20 PM by AoTFan » Logged
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 11:37:23 PM »

My cousin used to work at home as a telephone psychic. Maybe you could look into that.

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »

Other than, "keep trying" it can be hard to give appropriate advice, depending on the field/industry you are shooting for (and I imagine, it might be "any" at this point).

What type of work do you prefer? Service? Management? Factory? Office? Library? Farms? Sales?
What are you good at?
What job skills do you have? What software do you know/what can you learn that might help you land a job?
Do you have an updated resume?
Do you have a portfolio?
Do you have additional education/certification opportunities available/affordable?

A lot will also depend on your location. Even in this age of digital/virtual working, many places are still old school and frown upon it. I had a difficult time post college years after moving back to my original small town area (not a lot available there, surprise surprise lol), so I moved a couple hours away where there were more opportunities.

Do a lot of research in your area. Find out what companies are there and try to get your foot in any of them, if you can. Be persistent and show willingness to learn. A lot of times, it's who you know and not what you know in smaller towns, for example. Talk to everyone you know about job leads (I'm sure you already have) and try to get good references.  Half the jobs I had when I was younger was from knowing someone already there and proving myself once I got in the door.

Good luck!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 01:21:35 PM »

I have... had a few interviews at a couple, but no bites so far.  Course, I think part of the problem is in a lot restaurant positions you gotta be fast on your feet and I don't exactly fit that profile. 

Lately, I've been trying to update my Upwork profile see if I can some work from there.  Got people at another web board sending me stuff to Photoshop so build up my profile.  Plus, I'm thinking of adding the comic I just did... So, who knows? 

I'm trying to just stay positive.

Hang in there, and good luck. I am in a similar boat now.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Another rejection « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.