Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:29:24 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  clash of the titans (old vs new) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: clash of the titans (old vs new)  (Read 4374 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 16, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »

I recently watched both the 1981 and the 2010 versions back to back. I like the old one better, I think it has that special  B-movie charm, though some may not considered a movie.

my opinions:

1981 - By todays standards it seems dated and corny. I always thought this movie was older than it actually is. There are some nice stop motion creatures here and there by the late great Ray Harryhausen. The story has some plot holes and can be a little hard to follow at times, but some of the dialogue is well written and acted. I can appreciate what they were trying to accomplish with this movie. The story is really too big for one movie, it covers some much ground that some short cuts had to be taken just to squeeze everything into 2 hours. Alot had to be cut like a final fight scene with pegasus being ripped apart by the kraken and a few more gatuitous scenes which would have changed the rating. A shame cuz there are some beautiful women in this movie, perseus has a hot mom!

2010 - Well, it has some nice cgi and looks really good, but, theres no substance, no story and no acting. The guy from Avatar plays perseus, He loses his happy family and decides that hes going to kick some a**. Thats pretty much the whole story. He gets handed a sword, gets the respect of some warriors, makes some speeches, kills the kraken. Thats the story. I would say that this one is more entertaining for the action and pace.

- one complaint about both movies is that the kraken didnt do much in either movie.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »

The hokey-ness of the 1981 version allows it to get away with its flaws better than the 2010 version.

Naturally neither one tells the story of Perseus properly (for starters, Pegasus was not involved). I doubt anyone but me cares about all the mythological abominations these movies commit, so I won't go into any more detail.

The 2010 version tried to pull in fans of the 1981 version by throwing in some of the non-mythic elements of its predecessor, but it didn't even do THAT well. Its a piece of utter crap.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »

I'd like to know the differences between the myth and the movies.

The 1981 version is a lot of fun. Harryhausen really pulled out all the stops for his last feature. He shouldn'tve tried to make a stop-mo character wrestle a real person.  That was cool, but there are too many compositing problems. The story has some camp, but some of the old myths come off as a bit campy today.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »

The Myth of Perseus and the Gorgon (the short version)

Behold King Acrisius. He has a daughter named Danae. According to prophecy, if Danae has a son, he will kill Acrisius, so Acrisius keeps Danae locked in the tower.

Behold Zeus. Zeus is horny, and Danae is hot. No locked tower will prevent Zeus from satisfying his lust.

Danae gives birth to a son, Perseus. Hoping to keep Perseus from growing up to kill him, Acrisius puts Danae and Perseus in a wood chest and sets them adrift on the sea.

Behold Polydectes, King of Seriphus. A girl with a baby just washed ashore in a wood chest. That’s something you didn’t see every day back then, so he takes them into his palace as wards of the state.

Over time, Polydectes realizes that Danae is hot, so he starts to put the moves on her. Unfortunately, Perseus has grown into a strapping young demigod and master cock-blocker. Needing to get rid of Perseus, Polydectes tricks him into boasting that he could kill the gorgon Medusa (whose face will turn anyone who looks at it to stone) and bring back her head. Polydectes holds him to it, forcing him to go on a suicide quest.

Behold Hermes and Athena. Zeus has sent them to help get Perseus out of the mess he has found himself in. They provide him with some of the gods’ own magical artifacts: winged sandals that allow him to fly, a helmet that turns him invisible, a sword that will cut through pretty much anything, a shield with a reflective inner surface, and a satchel to carry Medusa’s head, if he ever gets it. They also give him directions to the Graeae.

Behold the Graeae, sisters of the Gorgons. The Graeae will know where Medusa sleeps at night. They’re not willing to give up their sister’s location easily, though. Funny thing: the Graeae only have one eye and one tooth among them. Perseus manages to snatch those and only gives them back after they have revealed the location of Medusa’s lair.

Cocky young demigod that he is, Perseus is no fool. Wearing the cap of invisibility, he approaches Medusa, looking only at her reflection in his shield, and cuts off her head while she sleeps. He drops her head into the satchel and starts flying back to Seriphus.

Behold Andromeda, a maiden tied to a rock by the sea. She is a sacrifice to the Kraken. Perseus spots her as he is flying home and thinks she’s hot. He lands by her father Cepheus and offers to kill the monster and save her… if he can marry her. Cepheus agrees, and Perseus offs the Kraken (stories are fuzzy on whether he shows it Medusa’s head or just lays into it with his super-sharp sword).

Behold Phineus. He also thinks Andromeda is hot, but now she’s marrying some courageous foreigner who saved her from being eaten by a monster. Unfair! He gets a bunch of his buddies together to crash the wedding and kill the foreigner. Perseus shows them Medusa’s head, and they shut right up.

Perseus returns to Seriphus with Andromeda, where he finds that Polydectes has been getting super creepy and stalky with Danae. Perseus shows him Medusa’s head to put an end to that.

Hermes and Athena then pay a visit to congratulate him and take back all of the magical artifacts he borrowed, including Medusa’s head, which he is starting to have a little too much fun with.

Some time later, Perseus participates in a sporting event in a neighboring kingdom. In the discus throw, he throws so far that the discus goes into the crowd and nails a guy in the head, killing him. Turns out to be King Acrisius, who had gone into hiding when he learned that Perseus had survived and grown up.

Don’t try to avoid prophecies. It never ends well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:05:16 AM by Ted C » Logged

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »

Addendum: Why is Andromeda chained to a rock?

As noted, Andromeda is hot. So hot, in fact, that some people said she was hotter than the Nereids (sea nymphs).

The Nereids heard that, and they got p**sed, so they complained to Poseidon.

Poseidon was always more into nymphs than humans, so he agreed to punish those tasteless humans. He sent his hit-beast, the Kraken, to their town to either destroy the town or eat Andromeda. Their choice.

kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »

Then i think its safe to say that the original film is the best.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »

The original film had it's own identity.  It new what it wanted to do and it's own style doing it. 

The remake felt too cookie cutter.  It ended up looking just like everything else.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »

It looked like somebody wanted to make God of War the movie but Clash of the Titans rights were easier to get.  Its no competition..  The original is far superior.

Not getting into the whole stop-motion vs CGI debate, lets talk about the creature design.

First is Calibos, one of the main antagonists.  The original was this demon/satyr  creature, who later gets a trident hand.  The new Calibos, looks like a strange mutant human with none of the originals charm.

Then there's Medusa-or the scene that show just how little the makers understood.  Ray Harryhausen, basically invented gorgans as snake creatures because he felt that there really weren't any ugly depictions of them.  And since their main feature is that their supposed to be so ugly they could turn men to stone, he made what is still the most hideous depiction of Medusa ever put to film.  COTT (new) based the look of their gorgan off of a model.  She looks like any sexy Medusa picture you find on deviantart.

I MIGHT give the new one the better Kraken design, only because the original does resemble the Ymir from 20 Million Miles to Earth  while the new one looks kind of like the Cloverfiled creature.

But what really made me hate this movie was  Perseus' nearly constant "I do this as a man, not as a god" speech that he gives nearly every give minutes once he's involved in the central plot.  It happened so often it got boring and annoying. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »

But what really made me hate this movie was  Perseus' nearly constant "I do this as a man, not as a god" speech that he gives nearly every give minutes once he's involved in the central plot.  It happened so often it got boring and annoying. 

From my original review of the remake...

"The sequel tries to introduce a theme revolving around human independence and immortal accountability, which is potentially interesting if you’re following the religion-versus-secularism conflict in modern culture, but the movie can’t seem to make up its mind whether to follow through on that plot and have Perseus succeed purely on his mortal merits or go through a “character arc” in which Perseus learns to accept his godly heritage. In the end, he doesn’t really do either, which makes me wonder why the writers introduced this personal conflict in the first place."

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »

You know, this has little to do with the merits of either film, but I do find it interesting that in the 70's, a PG film could show full-frontal bare breasts, and in the 2000's even PG-13 movies shy away from showing a woman's nipples (with very few exceptions - cough!cough! TITANIC).  Yet you can show a person's head getting taken off and flying through the air.

The culture of censorship is weird.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »

Second Addendum:

The Kraken is actually a sea monster from Scandinavian mythology, not Greek mythology, but it had a cool name, so the producers of the movies used it. The name of the monster in the Perseus myth is not always given, but it is sometimes identified as Cetus.

Pacman000
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »

Second Addendum:

The Kraken is actually a sea monster from Scandinavian mythology, not Greek mythology, but it had a cool name, so the producers of the movies used it. The name of the monster in the Perseus myth is not always given, but it is sometimes identified as Cetus.
I was wondering about that. Thanks. (Now how do you pronounce Cetus?)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »

I was wondering about that. Thanks. (Now how do you pronounce Cetus?)
Imagine you are impatient with the host at a restaurant. "Seat us!"

Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 01:46:19 AM »

What annoyed me about the remake was when a soldier picked up an unmoving Bubo the Owl, and asked if they needed it.  Someone said no, that's rubbish, so they put it back!  Bubo was the best thing about the original Clash, especially to a sub-teen boy in the 80's.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  clash of the titans (old vs new) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.