Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:32:52 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Hunger (1997-2000) Erotic Horror Anthology Series « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hunger (1997-2000) Erotic Horror Anthology Series  (Read 2905 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 04, 2017, 11:45:52 PM »

Cast your mind back to the late 90's.  The place is suburban Melbourne, Australia, and Foxtel has just begun to make the rounds as the first widely available pay-tv network in Australia.  With Foxtel came a slew of movies and shows I'd neither seen nor heard of before, and one of them was The Hunger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118346/?ref_=ttmc_mc_tt

The Hunger was a 44 episode horror anthology series with an adult/erotic undercurrent.  Just about every episode has some kind of sex and nudity.  The horror aspects were generally quite tame, more of a supernatural or thriller aspect than blood and guts, and the stories often had a twist at the end.  Imagine The Twilight Zone but with sex and nudity, and that is pretty much The Hunger.

The series may have had a connection with the 1983 vampire movie The Hunger with David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve, as both were produced by Tony Scott.  The Hunger (1983) was beautifully shot, even by today's standards, but this unfortunately did not carry over to the TV series.  However, it is still very watchable.

Warning: NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVSc-VUm0ls

The reasons this series even more interesting than earlier erotic thriller anthology series like The Hitch Hiker are numerous:

1.  Terence Stamp was the host, topping and tailing each 30 minute story with a vignette of his own.  Later episodes featured David Bowie.

2.  Ridley Scott and Tony Scott were the main producers of this series.

3.  The series featured a lot of actors who later became, or were at the time, very popular.  In the first several episodes, you see Balthazar Getty, Lena Headey, Daniel Craig and Jason Scott Lee.  It's quite remarkable to see Daniel Craig play a handyman in an apartment building inhabited by a wheelchair-bound matriarch.

4.  The episodes were usually based on short stories by prominent horror and thriller writers.  

• Brian Lumley - Necroscope series
    Graham Masterton- prolific extreme horror and thriller writer
    F. Paul Wilson - Repairman Jack series
    David Morell - the original Rambo story
    Harlan Ellison
    Christa Faust (the best damn name for a female horror author ever)
    Tanith Lee
    David Schow
    Kim Newman

and many more.  A lot of the stories are in a series of books called Hot Blood, which I very much recommend to readers of such literature. I recognized a number of the stories, and it was fascinating and exciting to see how they had been dramatized.

Filmed in Montreal, the series had many American, British and Canadian actors.  Generally, things were done very well.  The series has that mid 90's TV feel and still bears watching, even now.  Does anyone else like this series?  I recommend it to anyone who likes horror and erotic fiction, or Twilight Zone type anthology shows.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 05:34:05 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »

I never heard of it before but Erotic Twilight Zone is almost anything I could ask for in a series. 
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

I think I caught the end of an episode where a man was being seduced by this beautiful woman who was actually a nasty-old-chain-smoking-hag in a wheel-chair. Maybe she was a vampire, I dont know. I just remember this guy making out with her and it would cut between this beautiful woman and the nasty old woman passionately kissing. That is, if I remember correctly. I looked very dark. Ive only recently discovered that this was a movie after discovering Bauhaus and listening to "Bela lugosi dead". Both the movie and the series are on my list.   

exterminate all rational thought.....
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:48:48 PM »

@Chainsaw Midget - definitely watch this series of 'Erotic Twilight Zone' is your dream come true.

@kakihara - I think the episode you're talking about is the Daniel Craig / Lena Headey episode from the first season.

I've recently started watching the box sets and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying them, twenty years after they were made.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:34:30 AM »

I caught most of the first season back when it was still on Netflix. The episodes ranged from pretty decent to kind of terrible, but the random gratuitous nudity was always a plus. Well, that and the absurd Terrence Stamp intros.

There are a ton of not-yet-famous actors, the Daniel Craig/Lena Headey episode being the most notable.

I do recommend the movie. If you're a Bauhaus fan, the entire opening is basically a "Bela Lugosi's Dead" music video. I think it must have been a huge influence on the Vampire: Masquerade/World of Darkness setting.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Hunger (1997-2000) Erotic Horror Anthology Series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.