Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:40:40 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Facebook has AI problem... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Facebook has AI problem...  (Read 2842 times)
Pacman000
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/facebook-engineers-panic-pull-plug-ai-bots-develop-162649618.html

Basically Facebook has some systems which use AI.  They were programed to speak in English, but some of them began speaking to each other in gibberish. Naturally that means they developed their own language, and pose a threat to humanity. It's not just a glitch.  Lookingup

Still an interesting idea for a movie; two computers develop their own language then go rogue. Not sure it's been done, tho Colossus: the Forbin Project came close.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »

i know.
That' why i used my full first name instead of my nickname.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »

Skynet....? This is actually scary. Most scenarios portay an ai becoming self aware and going rogue. I never thought about more than one doing this. I read that they had to pull the plug because they invented their own language that cant be translated. " there will be no bilingual people that can understand this language and a human language". What were they saying? Were they plotting and scheming....?

exterminate all rational thought.....
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »

Skynet....? This is actually scary. Most scenarios portay an ai becoming self aware and going rogue. I never thought about more than one doing this. I read that they had to pull the plug because they invented their own language that cant be translated. " there will be no bilingual people that can understand this language and a human language". What were they saying? Were they plotting and scheming....?

I read a less alarmist version of that article (I could dig it up if anyone is really interested). According to that story the AIs weren't really speaking in "code," they just creatively re-tooled English in a way they found more efficient and logical. The programmers could tell what they were talking about (two bots were divvying up assigned tasks between them), but it wasn't easy.

It was the idea that the AIs would develop their own means of communication on their own initiative that was unnerving, not that there was any suspicion they were malicious or were developing free will or pursuing goals outside of their programmed tasks. But it is scary to think that this might be a small first step towards them developing free will and becoming HALs.

One guy did freak out when one bot passed the line "I can't do that Dave" to another with a winking devil emoji, though.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pacman000
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »

I read a less alarmist version of that article (I could dig it up if anyone is really interested). According to that story the AIs weren't really speaking in "code," they just creatively re-tooled English in a way they found more efficient and logical. The programmers could tell what they were talking about (two bots were divvying up assigned tasks between them), but it wasn't easy.

It was the idea that the AIs would develop their own means of communication on their own initiative that was unnerving, not that there was any suspicion they were malicious or were developing free will or pursuing goals outside of their programmed tasks. But it is scary to think that this might be a small first step towards them developing free will and becoming HALs.
I'm curious; I'd like to see that article. What were these systems were doing? What were they supposed to do? How did this happen?

One guy did freak out when one bot passed the line "I can't do that Dave" to another with a winking devil emoji, though.
Is this true? There's nothing in your post to indicate any sort of irony...
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »

The real problem isn't computers becoming Skynet and taking our lives, its them taking our jobs. 

! No longer available Small | Large

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
claymonet112
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:43:27 AM »

This makes me think about this article: waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html
 I read it before and I was obssessed because of it. But the dangerous of AI is not lie, it's real.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »

I'm curious; I'd like to see that article. What were these systems were doing? What were they supposed to do? How did this happen?

Is this true? There's nothing in your post to indicate any sort of irony...

This isn't exactly the first article I read but it's similar in tone: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/01/facebook-ai-experiment-did-not-end-because-bots-invented-own-language.html

Sorry, I thought the "Dave" comment was so ridiculous it didn't need a  Wink.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »

The real problem isn't computers becoming Skynet and taking our lives, its them taking our jobs. 

! No longer available

I agree. This is a looming social issue very few people seem to be thinking about. What will we do when the robots do everything for us?

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »

! No longer available

I agree. This is a looming social issue very few people seem to be thinking about. What will we do when the robots do everything for us?

I saw a horrifyingly fascinating documentary about that, Rev. As I remember it was called Wall-E.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pacman000
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

Thanks Rev. The Dave comment was ridiculous, but there are many ridiculous sounding stories which turn out to be true, so I had to ask.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

! No longer available

I saw a horrifyingly fascinating documentary about that, Rev. As I remember it was called Wall-E.

Believe it or not I've never seen WALL-E so the joke is lost on me.  Bluesad

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »

! No longer available

Believe it or not I've never seen WALL-E so the joke is lost on me.  Bluesad

Humanity has been reduced to fat blobs carted around by hover-scooters while endlessly accessing the internet. You know, like a lot of the people you see in Wal-mart now.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Pacman000
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »

Humanity has been reduced to fat blobs carted around by hover-scooters while endlessly accessing the internet. You know, like a lot of the people you see in Wal-mart now.
You forgot; the entire Earth is owned by Buy'N Large; a Walmart/big box store parody. (I probably misspelled Buy'N Large.)

(800th Post! That makes, what? 150-200 since I came back around Christmas?)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »

This is actually scary, i can still find humour in it but you have to consider where we are now as far as society and technology. We may never see a skynet scenario but there are other issues like jobs. Automation is coming and its going to impact us all. Whats going to happen to us when there are no jobs. What are we going to do? Sure it would be nice to get wasted and sit around all day, play video games and watch badmovies. , but right now. We live in a monetary system. Now were hearing talk of a universal income and seeing propaganda about automation and how great its going to be. It will not be great.

Wall-E is an allegory, we are almost there. I like movie though.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Facebook has AI problem... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.