Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:47:57 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Haruo Nakajima « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP Haruo Nakajima  (Read 2939 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 07, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »

RIP original Godzilla suit actor Haruo Nakajima

Monday, August 7, 2017

|

MICHAEL GINGOLD

Very sad news: The man who first portrayed Japanese cinema’s greatest monster has passed on, leaving behind an enormous footprint.

Haruo Nakajima, who donned the rubber suit for the title character of 1954’s GOJIRA (released Stateside as GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS in 1956), reprised the role multiple times and played numerous other creatures for the Toho company, died today at age 88. Celebrity Icons reported the news this morning. Nakajima played a few non-kaiju roles early in his career, including one in Akira Kurosawa’s classic SEVEN SAMURAI (1954), but he stepped into screen legend when Toho hired him to perform inside special effects creator Eiji Tsuburaya’s Godzilla suit for Ishiro Honda’s ’54 epic. Nakajima reprised the role 11 times through the early ’70s (his last turn was in 1972’s GODZILLA VS. GIGAN), and also played the title beasts in RODAN (1956), VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE (1958) and KING KONG ESCAPES (1967), the robot Mogera in THE MYSTERIANS (1957), Baragon in FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (1965), Gaira in THE WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS (1966) and two of the critters in SPACE AMOEBA/YOG, MONSTER FROM SPACE (1970). He also played human parts in Kurosawa’s THE HIDDEN FORTRESS (1958) and YOJIMBO (1961) and others; his last role was in SUBMERSION OF JAPAN (1973, released Stateside as TIDAL WAVE in 1975).

In recent years, Nakajima became a beloved guest at numerous conventions, often accompanied by other Godzilla suit actors like Kenpachiro Satsuma and Tsutomu Kitagawa (see our roundtable interview with the trio here and here). He will be deeply missed and always remembered by generations of monster fans worldwide.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:34:26 PM »

http://www.rue-morgue.com/single-post/2017/08/07/RIP-original-Godzilla-suit-actor-Haruo-Nakajima

Bluesad
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »

He didn't just portray Godzilla, but also many other Toho kaiju. 

There's a story about the time he was playing Varan in the original movie and a flare for an explosion went off accidentally, leaving him with severe burns on his stomach.  But he continued the scene and didn't complain.

R.I.P.  Haruo Nakajima.  Thank you for so many enjoyable movies, and one of my all time favorite film series.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »

I just realized something.

He portrayed Godzilla, a representation of the horror of nuclear power and the destruction caused by the atomic bombing of Japan.

He died August 7th.  One day after the anniversary of the Hiroshima being bombed.   

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Haruo Nakajima « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.