Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:40 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Comics Talk « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Comics Talk  (Read 6110 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »

Rather than buy comics one issue at a time, I've been picking up some more trades (mostly DC for the time being).

Just finished reading Injustice Volumes 1 and 2, which were pretty intense. Looking forward to the next part of the story.

Even more recently (this week), I've decided to go ahead and check out some Green Lantern trades (not really a big fan), so I picked up Sinenstro Corps, Red Lantern, and Agent Orange trades. I'm still not real big on Hal Jordan. Hate Guy Gardner. Kyle Raynor is bland. John Stewart, the former Marine, is the most likeable. However, the villains and the story are pretty cool, so far.

Some of the villains are quickly becoming some of my favorites. I seriously want a plush of Dex-Starr, Atrocitus's Red Lantern Rage Kitty familiar.  Lar Fleeze is pretty awesome too. I think I'll have to get the Blackest Night and Brightest Day after these.

I'm also thinking of finally picking up Marvel's Civil War and AvX trades.

What comics have you been reading?

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »

Used to read a British comic called 2000AD a lot (Judge Dredd came from its pages). Got a few web comics I follow now and again now.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »

I ain't followed comics since the 70's.
When I DID-I followed-
.When Jack Kirby came back to Marvel-he came back to Captain America-with the Falcon,no less-! And did great work!
.DEVIL DINOSAUR-another mid 70's Kirby creation.
.MACHINE MAN_again-see above.Steve Ditko actually took it over when Kirby was done!
.the PLANET OF THE APES Marvel magazine had some great Mike Ploog art!
.CREEPY magazine-by Warren. Oh gawd. It had Rich Corben,Bernie Wrightson,John Severin,Alex Toth,Alex Nino,Jose Ortiz-so  many others. And With Frazetta and Ken Kelly and Sanjulian doing cover art-oh yeah.
.SGT FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS-by the 70's they were mostly Dick Ayers reprints-but what reprints!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:37 AM »

Lately I've been reading ElfQuest online (believe it or not it's for free, LEGALLY), and it isn't too bad.  Actually does the fantasy trope impossible: make elves interesting!  :)

I recently got done reading (almost) the entire run of Garth Ennis' The Boys.  If you like your comics dark, cynical and nihilistic, Ennis is your man!  You can tell he's not very fond of the superhero genre in general and adds his own demented twists to common tropes.  Basically, in this world whenever Superheros get out of line, the government calls in The Boys, a top secret group that "deals with" out of control super powered beings.  There's actually a lot of interesting concepts in the series, like, for example, how having superpowered heroes may NOT have helped on a 9/11-like event.

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »

Great suggestions! I guess I'm currently into the Superhero thing, but I did read other types, especially back in the 90s. For awhile, I bought up every Clive Barker-related comic I could find. Read a lot of Heavy Metal comic back in college days. Also sampled Sandman and Death.

I've revisited some Clive materials, but can't seem to locate those old comics; the wife is a big time horror fan and loves (and has) many of his books.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:12:59 PM »

If you enjoy Clive Barker-here's a classic by Bernie Wrightson and Bruce Jones-
JENIFER-from Creepy#63-which I f**king sold to someone just a while ago!

http://www.rotatingcorpse.com/by_the_book/creepy-63/1901.html
I believe they even made it into an HBO movie?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »

Neil Gaiman's Sandman.
I'm thinking of buying Marville, because it is one of the worst comics ever made. What I know about it is that it starts out bad, then has a downward spiral to utter bulls**t and what the f**kery.
EDIT: I should add in some sources for MArville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marville_(comics)
http://comicsalliance.com/the-15-worst-comics-of-the-decade/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:11:15 AM by El Misfit » Logged

yeah no.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »

I've been reading the Green Lantern books for a while now.  I loved the Sinestro Corps story line , and due yourself a favor and check out The Blackest Night.  Its awesome.

I read mostly DC these days.

I'm going to read Enormous next which is described as walking dead except with kaiju.  I don't know if its still being published or if its one of those series I discovered too late. 

IDW had some good Godzilla based comics.

Every now and again I'll pick up something different just to give it a try.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »

Okay! Let's talk about . . .
shoes and ships and sealing wax and comics.

Nothing says time and place like a comic, for that reason and others, which is why I highly recommend . . .

Hope Nicholson
Canadian
The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen :
Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History.

106 American and Canadian comic book characters published in comic books, mags, papers, and on-line between 1934 and 2016.

Thus, what we get . . .
an illustration -- a quotation -- the creator -- its 1st appearance -- and whether it has been republished in a collection.

And icons for each decade covered.
30s Little Lulu -- 40s Wonder Woman -- 50s Supergirl -- 60s Batgirl -- 70s Ms. Marvel (70s version) -- 80s Silk Spectre -- 90s Witchblade -- 00s Ramona Flowers -- 10s Ms. Marvel (10s version.)

Not that it's perfect.
1st. Sometimes the illustration could be larger.
2nd. While they are listed in alphabetical order by decade, it'd make more sense to list them by date of first appearance. (IMHO)
3rd. 1st appearance, but I'd also like to see the date of last appearance, or whether they are still being published.

Miscellaneous
Not all the comic characters are white nor heterosexual.
Afro-Americans or blacks 8%
American-Hispanic or Latina 4%
Asian-American or Asian 2%
Native American 1%
Non-heterosexual 6%

If you rather see it, then read it, 10% have been in films or TV shows, including upcoming films and TV shows.

Excluding self-publishers, the top 4 publishers were . . .
DC -- Marvel -- Image -- Charlton.

Pacman000
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »

Bought The Last Star Fighter issues 2 & 3. Couldn't find issue 1. Fairly nice adaption of the movie.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

Just bought a Doctor Strange collection.  It's a huge book, 300 some odd pages, and it's like 30-35 issues of the series.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 04:06:24 AM »

Okay! Let's talk about . . .
shoes and ships and sealing wax and comics.

Nothing says time and place like a comic, for that reason and others, which is why I highly recommend . . .

Hope Nicholson
Canadian
The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen :
Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History.

106 American and Canadian comic book characters published in comic books, mags, papers, and on-line between 1934 and 2016.

Thus, what we get . . .
an illustration -- a quotation -- the creator -- its 1st appearance -- and whether it has been republished in a collection.

And icons for each decade covered.
30s Little Lulu -- 40s Wonder Woman -- 50s Supergirl -- 60s Batgirl -- 70s Ms. Marvel (70s version) -- 80s Silk Spectre -- 90s Witchblade -- 00s Ramona Flowers -- 10s Ms. Marvel (10s version.)

Not that it's perfect.
1st. Sometimes the illustration could be larger.
2nd. While they are listed in alphabetical order by decade, it'd make more sense to list them by date of first appearance. (IMHO)
3rd. 1st appearance, but I'd also like to see the date of last appearance, or whether they are still being published.

Miscellaneous
Not all the comic characters are white nor heterosexual.
Afro-Americans or blacks 8%
American-Hispanic or Latina 4%
Asian-American or Asian 2%
Native American 1%
Non-heterosexual 6%

If you rather see it, then read it, 10% have been in films or TV shows, including upcoming films and TV shows.

Excluding self-publishers, the top 4 publishers were . . .
DC -- Marvel -- Image -- Charlton.

Wow-where do you get all this info? Did you make this up?

I dont know what all this is about-but-its nonsense.
Supergirl was not the most popular female comic book character in the 50's-Betty and Veronica were.
Dell comics and Archie Comics and even Gold Key were more popular than Image ever was. Dell's Roy Rogers and Tarzan outsold Superman. And Captain Marvel out sold them all. Image never even got close to the circulation that comics had back then.Plastic Man-which was put out by Quality-and Captain Marvel-which was done by Fawcett-would put to shame any output by Image.
As far as 1970's female characters-Ms. Marvel? Red Sonja and even Vampirella sold more books. Even Millie the Model sold more books.Ms. Marvel? Betty and Veronica were STILL selling more titles than all of the above!
Little Lulu didn't show up in comic books until 1948. Before that-Blondie in the comic strips was much more popular.
I been reading comics since 1967-and what you say is -I don't know.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »

Um...ok.

Back on topic...

I read and loved Green Lantern: Blackest Night (after I finished the Red and Orange Lantern books). I still dislike Hal Jordon (and seeing him as every darned color of the spectrum), but am enjoying the stories overall.

Dex-Starr and Larfleeze are still my favorites, by far.

So, after finishing those and continuing with Injustice, I decided to revisit Marvel (kinda got spent on them in the 90s) and picked up Avengers vs X-Men. Not bad so far, but wow, half the villains are good guys now; a different half of the X-Men are Avengers now, and Wolverine can't decide who he's clawing when lol. Colossus is now the Juggernaut? I've been away for awhile (although DC does the same thing with villain/hero/allegiance shuffling, with Superman as a Yellow Lantern and all).

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 08:22:19 PM »

I've been going to the local comic shop with my 10 year old for the past couple of months. I was a bigtime comic nerd growing up during the '80s but have been out of the loop for a very long time. I barely know who the players are anymore :D

Anywhoo, it's been fun catching up with some old friends like Groo and Spidey, plus I've gotten hooked on this totally absurd series from Image Comics called "Shirtless Bear Fighter," which reminds me a lot of "The Tick" way back when.... it's completely silly and ridiculous, but played straight, which makes the whole thing even funnier.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 10:14:25 PM »

Without an ounce of fat on him.  KING of KONG!!  BAREFOOT stompin' brute!!  Cool. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Comics Talk « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.