Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:51:50 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Comics Talk « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Comics Talk  (Read 6113 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »

Okay! Let's talk about . . .
shoes and ships and sealing wax and comics.

Nothing says time and place like a comic, for that reason and others, which is why I highly recommend . . .

Hope Nicholson
Canadian
The Spectacular Sisterhood of Superwomen :
Awesome Female Characters from Comic Book History.

106 American and Canadian comic book characters published in comic books, mags, papers, and on-line between 1934 and 2016.

Thus, what we get . . .
an illustration -- a quotation -- the creator -- its 1st appearance -- and whether it has been republished in a collection.

And icons for each decade covered.
30s Little Lulu -- 40s Wonder Woman -- 50s Supergirl -- 60s Batgirl -- 70s Ms. Marvel (70s version) -- 80s Silk Spectre -- 90s Witchblade -- 00s Ramona Flowers -- 10s Ms. Marvel (10s version.)

Not that it's perfect.
1st. Sometimes the illustration could be larger.
2nd. While they are listed in alphabetical order by decade, it'd make more sense to list them by date of first appearance. (IMHO)
3rd. 1st appearance, but I'd also like to see the date of last appearance, or whether they are still being published.

Miscellaneous
Not all the comic characters are white nor heterosexual.
Afro-Americans or blacks 8%
American-Hispanic or Latina 4%
Asian-American or Asian 2%
Native American 1%
Non-heterosexual 6%

If you rather see it, then read it, 10% have been in films or TV shows, including upcoming films and TV shows.

Excluding self-publishers, the top 4 publishers were . . .
DC -- Marvel -- Image -- Charlton.

Wow-where do you get all this info? Did you make this up?

I dont know what all this is about-but-its nonsense.
Supergirl was not the most popular female comic book character in the 50's-Betty and Veronica were.
Dell comics and Archie Comics and even Gold Key were more popular than Image ever was. Dell's Roy Rogers and Tarzan outsold Superman. And Captain Marvel out sold them all. Image never even got close to the circulation that comics had back then.Plastic Man-which was put out by Quality-and Captain Marvel-which was done by Fawcett-would put to shame any output by Image.
As far as 1970's female characters-Ms. Marvel? Red Sonja and even Vampirella sold more books. Even Millie the Model sold more books.Ms. Marvel? Betty and Veronica were STILL selling more titles than all of the above!
Little Lulu didn't show up in comic books until 1948. Before that-Blondie in the comic strips was much more popular.
I been reading comics since 1967-and what you say is -I don't know.

No. All this is from the book, where I find the author's personal selections interesting, even if I do not always agree with her choices. And we are not talking popularity here, or the lack there of. We are talking about one iconic female character from the comics, which the author, and again, I don't always agree with her choices, says reflects that particular decade. And we are not only talking about characters that appeared in comic books, but characters that appeared in the comics, and Little Lulu first appeared as a comic character in a single panel on February 23, 1935, in the Saturday Evening Post. And I would suggest that anyone who has an interest in the comics, read this book, as the author makes some interesting points. Though, again I don't always agree with what she says.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »

Not sure how 'huge' a publisher Image was.  I mean, I remember it having a bit of a rumbling in the '90s, but I was a young kid then, and we traded those issues back and forth with each other.  I never knew the business side of it then.  Was it big at all? 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »

There is a book called Hack/Slash that I think the people on this board might be interested in.  It follows a young woman named Cassie and her hulking side kick Vlad.  The live in a world where basically every slasher film actually exists.  Cassie is "final girl" that has taken the fight to the undead.

Its cheesey fun.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »

Not sure how 'huge' a publisher Image was.  I mean, I remember it having a bit of a rumbling in the '90s, but I was a young kid then, and we traded those issues back and forth with each other.  I never knew the business side of it then.  Was it big at all? 
I think Image is the 3rd biggest comic company behind Marvel and DC.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Comics Talk « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.