Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:32:14 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Bright Star (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bright Star (2009)  (Read 5803 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: September 10, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

A production like this goes a long way toward restoring my faith in what film as a medium can achieve. As an antidote to the usual bilge the motion picture industry has cranked out in the last decade and a half, I wish there were more films like 2009's Bright Star to balance the scales. As it is, subject matter like the shared love of a young woman and a dying poet intimidates far too many people to the point Bright Star been unjustly shunned by segments of the general public who would likely find it deeply moving but instead fear it would be boring, or just not for them.

It is almost inexpressibly touching to see Fanny Brawne and John Keats remembered in a movie that tells their tragic story, and Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish more than earned their paychecks in Jane Campion's slow-moving but never dull re-telling of a love the world very nearly never knew about at all. (Read up on how Miss Brawne, a worthy figure in her own right, kept her secret for nearly half a century.)

I have not read Andrew Motion's biography upon which this movie is based, and have held off mainly because I care so much about Bright Star that should the source material and film contradict one another, I don't want to risk the influence that might have on my regard.

Bright Star makes full use of the painful tragedy that separated its main characters in real life, but never strays into the maudlin as it would have been all too easy to do. It's also worth heaping praise onto Campion and Motion for giving us a John Keats who displayed a wide range of feelings, even cheerful humor, freeing us from yet another depiction of him as a sickly, serious-minded, moribund young man, insubstantial as a will o’ wisp, half in the grave before his heart even stopped beating. (“Here lies one whose name was writ in water….”) Artistic license aside, this surely is closer to the truth of what these two bright stars shared than anything that’s ever previously been filmed.

It’s a shame more people today don't read the poetry of the Romantics, particularly John Keats, because their work was the high point of an age that itself represented the English language at its most eloquent. And it’s also a shame a masterpiece like Bright Star isn’t better known than it is.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »

My review at the time was a simple "sensitive poets take FOREVER to die from consumption."  TongueOut

Vive la difference! I'd rather read the poems, which I do love.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »

Yes, but you're succinct and I never use one word when five will do as well.  Wink

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Bright Star (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.