Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:51 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Got an idea for a business (no, seriously...) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Got an idea for a business (no, seriously...)  (Read 2114 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 26, 2017, 09:19:47 PM »

So, as many of your know I've been having trouble finding employment.  So, the other day an idea hit me.  Been doing a lot of photo restoration hoping to build my portfolio and get a job on Upwork, but then I thought, why not cut out the middle man?  So, I'm working on a flyer advertising "Mike's Photo Restoration" with a business email that I'll distribute around the area.  Basically, people can email me their photos and, for a nominal fee, I'll restore them.

Dunno how popular this will be, or whether it'll even work, but I figure I gotta try something.  And I like fixing Photos so, who knows? 

I don't know, what you guys think?  Not sure if there any legal stuff I need to know about (probably not unless I make over so much a year, but who knows.)  I know it'll cost a bit to make the initial copies of flyers and stuff (especially if I want to print them in color.)

Anyway, just thought I'd get some ideas/comments/support. 
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »

Still no takers, and i sound better than most...

KitSplit (Some of my sound gear, Prices Negotiable)
https://kitsplit.com/profile/lilcerberus/listings/

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »

So, as many of your know I've been having trouble finding employment.  So, the other day an idea hit me.  Been doing a lot of photo restoration hoping to build my portfolio and get a job on Upwork, but then I thought, why not cut out the middle man?  So, I'm working on a flyer advertising "Mike's Photo Restoration" with a business email that I'll distribute around the area.  Basically, people can email me their photos and, for a nominal fee, I'll restore them.

Dunno how popular this will be, or whether it'll even work, but I figure I gotta try something.  And I like fixing Photos so, who knows? 

I don't know, what you guys think?  Not sure if there any legal stuff I need to know about (probably not unless I make over so much a year, but who knows.)  I know it'll cost a bit to make the initial copies of flyers and stuff (especially if I want to print them in color.)

Anyway, just thought I'd get some ideas/comments/support. 

Interesting. It's worth a shot, even just for your portfolio (no matter what else you get into, it'd be useful to have that experience). You may also consider offering to restore/digitize old photos. Like, for those older folks who have actual photo albums and would like them digitized/scanned and restored.

Another similar option that could branch from those is parts photography. For example, about a decade ago, I got hired by a company to take photos of all of their parts, cleaned up the images, and batch sized them so they could put them on their web site catalog. That experience (with Photoshop, batching, scanning blueprints sometimes, etc.) and portfolio content helped me land jobs later. Just some ideas!

Keep brainstorming. Try it all. Do some volunteer work (small scale) for a local church or something just to network some contacts. This is pretty much how my sister got her start with graphic design, which has lead to her designing (and getting paid for) all manner of local business graphic needs (images, flyers, menus, even t-shirts).

Good luck!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:01 AM »

Off topic, but a business idea hit me last night.

Went to several Halloween/costume shops and noticed that both the big chain store and the ma and pop stores only seemed to carry costumes for small folks, when (let's just admit it) most people are much larger. I asked the folks working there about it and they didn't carry much in the line of plus sized.

Instantly my brain told me that these folks need to adjust their business model. Frankly, that appears to be an untapped market (although it's only seasonal). Supply and demand is what they always say. I thought to myself that if I were into that line of business, I'd just open a plus size costume store and tap that market.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »

Kristi suggested that you get in touch with some of the sites where they trace geneology and see about cleaning up photos for them. She uses that sort of thing a lot, so if you want some suggestions of places to try send her an email.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
AoTFan

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »

Kristi suggested that you get in touch with some of the sites where they trace geneology and see about cleaning up photos for them. She uses that sort of thing a lot, so if you want some suggestions of places to try send her an email.

That's a good idea!  Thanks.
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

Hope it works out, kiddo. When reality ignores ya, give it good shot in the nads.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Got an idea for a business (no, seriously...) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.