Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:01:36 PM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  favorite MST3K films « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: favorite MST3K films  (Read 3219 times)
Scott123
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 21, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »

Can't say I'm knowledgeable about this at all, but what are your favorite MST3K movies and why?

While I do enjoy watching these occasionally, I love BAD MOVIES so much I can remember when this series was on, getting mad at the robots and wishing they'd shut up so I could see the horrible movie lol ...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:55:19 PM »

I agree-I HATED that show-dam robots. If I wanted to hear snarky remarks-I'll make them myself. BUT-I did watch it on occasion if there was a movie I hadn't seen-ie-MANOS or MONSTER A GO GO. Now I own copies of both these films without the yattering of those jabbering fools.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

BounceGiggle Glad I'm not alone here.

Only seen 2 complete episodes. I would've rather watched the films without the jokes.

Tried watching it a few times since, but the commentary is too loud; I can't hear the film, so I can't tell what's going on. I didn't even find most of the jokes all that funny.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:58:42 PM »

It depends on whether you mean movie that I'd like without the commentary, or with. There is some overlap. Most of the best ones I like with or without commentary.

Favorites with commentary:

MANOS - hilarious, weird movie, Torgo, great short
SPACE MUTINY - easy to mock bodybuilder/grandma "Battlestar Galactica" ripoff romance

Those two are probably in most fans top 10 lists. I like both with or without the jokes.

Here are some I'd probably only like with the riffs:

TIMES OF THE APES - The episode makes me guffaw, but it would just be confusing nonsense with no commentary
EEGAH, STRAFIGHTERS, MONSTER A GO-GO -  These are all horribly boring movies without someone telling jokes, but they make pretty good episodes
THE WILD WORLD OF BATWOMAN - I assumed this one was so crazy that it would be equally fun without the commentary---turned out not to be true

Finally, there are the movies I love without the jokes, like THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE or JACK FROST.

Watching the MST3K version is a different experience than  watching a bad movie for it's own sake. If you don't like the Midwestern, referential style of humor I guess it can be a chore. You are not trying to follow the story when you watch MST3K; the incoherence is part of the fun.

Joel Hodgson loved these movies and he always treated them affectionately even when he mocked their faults. In the Mike era the jokes sometimes became a little more vicious at the expense of the movie, which might turn people who "love bad movies" off.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »

Joel Hodgson loved these movies and he always treated them affectionately even when he mocked their faults. In the Mike era the jokes sometimes became a little more vicious at the expense of the movie, which might turn people who "love bad movies" off.
Good point.
GORGO is a fine example of a flick I can take alone, or riffed.
Ya know, I think liking the show takes what I call a 'gear shift' to appreciate. The riffs are based on what you see happening, and what people say. Being able to see the way a joke bends the story into another interpretation (a horror movie scene is treated like a soap opera plot) and the cultural references can be funny even if you may not know what the precise inspiration was.
Tom Servo: "Save big money at Menards!"-  I guessed he was quoting a department store advert...I was right, cause now we hear the jingle in Columbus, cause now we have those stores here.
 If a joke is based on action: It's a 'sight gag'
If it's based on dialogue, it's 'back talk.'
However ya slice it, it's cutting the cheese to make a humor sandwich, and the movie is the baloney. And as always, YMMV.   

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
316zombie
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »

I agree-I HATED that show-dam robots. If I wanted to hear snarky remarks-I'll make them myself. BUT-I did watch it on occasion if there was a movie I hadn't seen-ie-MANOS or MONSTER A GO GO. Now I own copies of both these films without the yattering of those jabbering fools.

RC, you're breaking my heart! MAJOR MST FAN here,we own everything that's ever come out on dvd, and have 2 complete collections of the original show on VHS..yes, we copied the original tapes, just in case! we also own all of rifftrax and cinematic titanic...yeah, i'm a little obsessed..and grateful to married to another mst obsessive, lol!
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:22:12 AM »

Oh Jeez where do I even start! xD

Well; Rocket Attack U.S.A is one that will never leave me...mainly because I was watching it for the first time with my flatmate and the ending left us both screaming expletives at the top of our lungs at 3 in the morning with our jaws on the floor xD absolutely unbelievable film, stunning stuff.

In terms of MST films I can watch unriffed as much as I can riffed "Hobgoblins", "Time Chasers" and "Eegah" are all absolute hoots to sit through just for how ridiculous they are xD ...I also have quite a soft spot for "Reptilicus" and "Carnival magic" just for how bizarre they are :)

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 06:20:51 AM »

Kristi tried to get me into watching the show on Netflix, but I really wanted to watch the bad movies had have the robots etc shut up and let me listen to it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »

Manos: The Hands of Fate, Teenagers From Outer Space, Hobgoblins, Bride of the Monster, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Angel's Revenge, Jack Frost, The Creeping Terror and Cave Dwellers.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »

to flangepart-
   i see your point with the cultural references. i have wisconsin family, most of them went to ashwaubenon high school, and their kids are now going there. i know the green bay area very well, having lived there myself for a time, but the first couple of years we watched the show, i had to explain the references to my hubby, as he's never been there.
  * he is  yearning for an ashwaubenon jaguars sweatshirt, lol! *
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »

Wild World of Batwoman is one of my favorites as well. 
Jack Frost
The Skydivers
Revenge of the Creature
Prince of Space

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  favorite MST3K films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.