Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:29:54 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The October Halloween Horror topic! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: The October Halloween Horror topic!  (Read 21267 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »

My goal this Halloween season is to watch at least one horror (other otherwise spooky) movie a day and wright about it for you. 

Tonight's movie? 

Henry Portrait of a serial Killer

There's not much in the way of plot.  Henry runs into his old ex-jailmate Otis and his sister Becky and moves in with them for a bit, introducing Otis to the life of a serial killer.  Otis turns out to be evern more messed up than Henry is.   

Admittedly, an odd movie to start a Halloween season on, as it's not very Halloween at all, but it is incredibly horrific.  It's also incredibly bleak.  There's nobody in this movie that's "good".  Nor are there any cops or chances they might get caught.  At best, Becky can be seen as positive but oblivious to what they're doing. 

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »

Godzilla vs King Kong

This is a bit more Halloween like.  Two classic giant monsters on a rampage.  What's not to love?    

There's just something fun about crossovers.  While this isn't anywhere near the best outing for either of the two title titans, seeing them together has a certain charm, even if the Kong suit does look a bit weird.  

The plot is minimal, but do we really need anything more than seeing two legendary giant monsters rip up Japan and fight each other?  Well, we have it, because they're also a giant octopus attack filmed using a real octopus.  Frankly, I've always thought those things looked creepy.  

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:21:35 AM »

HENRY is an excellent film! The scene where he and Otis sit at home watching they're 'home movies' is truly disturbing!  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:11:20 PM »

HENRY is an excellent film! The scene where he and Otis sit at home watching they're 'home movies' is truly disturbing!  Buggedout
Henry is a movie that makes you feel greasy and dirty just for watching it.  I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. 

As for today's movie...

It's time we got just a little more Halloween With ghosts, murders, foggy little towns, witches, skulls, jack o'lanterns, and Christopher Lee. 

Constable Icabod Crane is sent to Sleepy Hollow after exasperating his superiors to solve a murder case.  What he's not told is that the murderer is a vengeful ghost that haunts the town, collecting heads of it's victims. 

While it's so loosely based on the original Legend of Sleepy Hollow that it an hardly be called an adaption at all, it's still a great movie.  Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are at their best here and remarkably restrained (for them) lacking a lot of the excess their later movies would be known for.  While it's still a Burton movie, there's also a very healthy dose of Hammer Horror to it, although with a much higher budget.   

It also has one of my favorite versions of the Headless Horseman on screen and what is probably the creepiest Christopher Walken has ever looked. 

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm watching a cartoon this time.  It's got Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman in it.  It counts. 

Drac, Frank, and Wolfie have seen better days.  They're old, their loosing their touch, and there just not scary anymore.  They even have to resort to doing live appearances to pay the bills.  The New breed of monster (a Freddy/Jason combination, a Chucky rip-off, and an Aliens tribute) are embarrassed that these has been are giving all monster a bad name and have them brought up on trial for the crime of being unable to scare.  The judge gives them one last chance.  They have one day to scare a normal family.  Can they do it? 

Okay, the animation here is cheap, and they reuses it in numerous places, the designs are a bit weird looking, and they don't use the Original version of the Monster Mash (although the humorous takes on it during the credits do soften that blow) still, this is a nice tribute to the old monster movies.  It feels like one of those Halloween specials hey used to play in prime time during the holidays, so if you're in the mood for some Saturday Morning level Halloween action, you could do worse.   

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »

Dario Argento's Dracula
You know Dracula movies.  The only questions are how much does they differ from the source material.  In this case.  Quite a bit. 

This movie eliminates Lucy's three suitors from the plot, as well as two of Dracula's brides (and gives an expanded role to the one bride that does appear.)  In fact, Dracula never leaves Transylvania for Europe.  In this movie Jonathan Harker comes to catalog Dracula's library for him and several days later, Mina makes the trip to the small town nearby to join him.  (That's also where Lucy lives.)

Jonathan's role is also severely cut back. 

There is quite  abit of blood and gore, a few bad CG moments, and more Dracula transformations than any other Dracula movie I've seen.  He takes the form of an owl, a wolf (and a mid-form Wolfman), a swarm of insects, a cloud of dust that is also a wolf or something like that, and a giant sized CG preying Mantis.   

Other than being a giant mantis though, Dracula isn't very memorable.  He doesn't even wear a cape, just a long black coat that wouldn't look out of place on a normal banker.  The high forehead and brown hair doesn't exactly ad to the Dracula image either. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:17 AM »

Argento is hit and miss for me. Though I enjoyed his giallo's-like DEEP RED and the BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE-I didn't care for SUSPIRIA at all.  I think I'll pass on his  DRACULA . I haven't seen a good Dracula actor since Jack Palance in 1974!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »

ABCs of Death 2

An anthology series, with of the little films lasting only a few minutes each.  While there are a few duds and the quality, and style (even using some stop motion and animation) , varies drastically from sort to short for the most part it's a really fun series with some quiet horrifying moments. 

My favorites shorts are the ones where a woman is captured by a bunch of intelligent zombies and put on trial for killing zombies during a recent outbreak and the horror take on He-Man. 

I don't have a gif for this one.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »

ABCs of Death 2

An anthology series, with of the little films lasting only a few minutes each.  While there are a few duds and the quality, and style (even using some stop motion and animation) , varies drastically from sort to short for the most part it's a really fun series with some quiet horrifying moments. 

My favorites shorts are the ones where a woman is captured by a bunch of intelligent zombies and put on trial for killing zombies during a recent outbreak and the horror take on He-Man. 

I don't have a gif for this one.

From my favorite segment, though I liked the other two you mentioned too. ABCs 1 was better overall.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pacman000
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »

Dario Argento's Dracula
You know Dracula movies.  The only questions are how much does they differ from the source material.  In this case.  Quite a bit. 

This movie eliminates Lucy's three suitors from the plot, as well as two of Dracula's brides (and gives an expanded role to the one bride that does appear.)  In fact, Dracula never leaves Transylvania for Europe.  In this movie Jonathan Harker comes to catalog Dracula's library for him and several days later, Mina makes the trip to the small town nearby to join him.  (That's also where Lucy lives.)

Jonathan's role is also severely cut back. 

There is quite  abit of blood and gore, a few bad CG moments, and more Dracula transformations than any other Dracula movie I've seen.  He takes the form of an owl, a wolf (and a mid-form Wolfman), a swarm of insects, a cloud of dust that is also a wolf or something like that, and a giant sized CG preying Mantis.   

Other than being a giant mantis though, Dracula isn't very memorable.  He doesn't even wear a cape, just a long black coat that wouldn't look out of place on a normal banker.  The high forehead and brown hair doesn't exactly ad to the Dracula image either. 

That screenshot does have a nice 60's/70's feel.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »

From my favorite segment, though I liked the other two you mentioned too. ABCs 1 was better overall.
I haven't actually seen the first one.  I need to. 
316zombie
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »

since you like anthologies, may i recommend monster club? the interstices are hilarious, and the stories are great! and of course, you simply CAN'T go wrong with both vincent price AND john carradine, right? the"stripper" scene in the club is hysterical!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 06:52:29 PM »

since you like anthologies, may i recommend monster club? the interstices are hilarious, and the stories are great! and of course, you simply CAN'T go wrong with both vincent price AND john carradine, right? the"stripper" scene in the club is hysterical!
I've seen it.  It's really fun.  Catchy theme song too. 
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »

Slashers (sometimes listed as $lasher$)

Six lucky contestants are chosen to  compete in Japan's (and possibly the world's) favorite reality TV show.   For the multi-million dollar prize, all they have to do is avoid or kill the three armed maniacs that will be hunting them in the arena. 

Basically, it's a more horror themed version the the movie The Running Man.  While it does suffer from a low budgets, and less that inspiring camera work and special effects, the movie is still really fun for the premises if nothing else. 

Although I do wonder why none of the killers were Japanese if this was a Japanese show. 

Spoiler!!!!!

One of the contestants is actually a serial killer trying to hide the fact from the other contestants.  Sadly, the worst actor in the movie has his role.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »

I watched this movie a long time ago and really enjoyed it.  If I ever get the chance to snag a copy, I'd like to own it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The October Halloween Horror topic! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.