Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:54:54 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are forums dying? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Are forums dying?  (Read 7815 times)
AlbertMond
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 03:56:44 AM »

People ask this all the time - but it's ultimately kind of a silly question.
The answer, overall, is no. For multiple reasons - firstly, the Facebook format simply isn't an adequate replacement for forums. It's also not a good format for any number of things - chatting, customizing, meeting new people, free promo, etc. Facebook is both literally and figuratively a drab and gray website.

Many times when this question is asked, there are circumstantial reasons behind it which have only a secondary relation to the general state of forums - I've seen it on sites which went down and lost all the user profiles and then came back up, for instance. These things compound whatever effect Facebook (and whatever else) has. But there's also an underlying fallacy, which Facebook&Friends are quite happy exists - the idea that the entire internet is moving to Facebook is a mentality in-and-of-itself, and it's most likely one that Facebook at some point or another has paid someone to encourage. This, along with other fallacies - Facebook as "safe" or "acceptable," etc.

Losing users isn't unlikely, but the forum medium isn't actually dying. There are still mainframes being used, ffs.
Unless Facebook adopts a similar forum format (it's actually gotten further from this, not closer) then they don't have a communicable practical edge - the only thing they have is people buying into their fallacies, and the typical government support that monopolies tend to get. Oh, and a very poor, boring setup for coherent discussion. Pssh.

The internet is out here to be explored. If somebody doesn't want it to be, that's all the more reason to keep exploring.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »

We're all dying, RC...     :D
Maybe you are.  I'm not.  Just because everybody else is doing something doesn't mean I'm going to give in to peer pressure.  

I think part of the reason this particular forum has slowed down might also have to do with the fact that the site it's attached to isn't updated at all anymore.  

I don't have peer pressure. I don't have any "peers". I'm an old man living with his sweetie and I never go out. Except to buy booze and smokes and food.
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I NEVER post on facebook. My facebook only reblogs my Tumblr blog-and that's all vintage horror movie photos.
And yeah-even with all my whiney "I quit!" p***y s**t I did-I'll stick here till the end.

I don't get the "peer pressure" thing.
I been watching old horror movies since  I was old enough to watch TV. I bought my first Famous Monsters magazine in 1970.
I Don't follow nobody. Oh-I followed Forry Ackerman because of Famous Monsters and I followed Calvin T. Beck because of Castle of Frankenstein.
So yeah-I follow me.
Zap-I ain't saying what you said was wrong-you hit the nail on the head-were all dying!  Thumbup Folks who have a lifelong passion for this-Monster Kids like us-we will never die-and I will stick with the Good Rev-We gotta reboot this place. We need to reboot the site! I am willing and able to write new reviews for BAD MOVIES.ORG to keep bring it back alive!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:00:22 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »

-and Andrew-our fearless leader-won't talk to nobody.
f**k him. I can understand him leaving-but not even without a f**k you very much. Dont let the door hit yer ass on the way out-goodbye.
f**k Andrew-our "Fearless Leader"-thanx a***ole-leave yer friends hanging,dickhead.
What really p**ses me off-the Rev can reboot this site-he's the man-but Andrew won't answer the phone. ARRRH.

f**k you,Andrew.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:16:13 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »

f**k him. I can understand him leaving-but not even without a f**k you very much. Dont let the door hit yer ass on the way out-goodbye.
f**k Andrew-our "Fearless Leader"-thanx a***ole-leave yer friends hanging,dickhead.
What really p**ses me off-the Rev can reboot this site-he's the man-but Andrew won't answer the phone. ARRRH.

f**k you,Andrew.

http://youtu.be/PyM4uAJBujA

It's almost like something scared him off.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »

I don't know wtf Andrew's deal is-I had this problem with Micheal Weldon of Psychotronic magazine. I was contributing-and the f**ker ripped me off and cut off conatact after I had donated some rare material (AFTER HOURS mag-Forry Ackerman issue-worth over a thousand bucks). He used the stuff-I never got my s**t back and he jumped the boat. Same s**t happened with Micheal Copner of Cult Magazine-he f**ked me too.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »

It's sad but forums in general do seem to be dying off - not just this one. I'm a member of several others (metal music related) and in each of them, aside from a "core group" of regulars who've been posting for years 'n' years traffic has slowed down noticeably over the past few years.

As a matter of fact, one of the metal forums I'm in needs to have its domain name renewed at the moment, and the guy who's supposed to be the "owner" of the board has seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth. I'm an Admin on that forum and I'd gladly take care of it myself but I don't have the access level mojo to do so. I hit the "owner" up on Facebook and asked nicely if he could take five minutes to drop by and fix it, but so far nothing has happened. I'm like "Geez, dude, if you're not into this anymore, that's OK, then gimme the damn keys, I'll run the board."

(shrugs) However long this place (and the others I belong to) hang in there, I'll still be around.  
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:33:42 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pacman000
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »

It's sad but forums in general do seem to be dying off - not just this one. I'm a member of several others (metal music related) and in each of them, aside from a "core group" of regulars who've been posting for years 'n' years traffic has slowed down noticeably over the past few years.

As a matter of fact, one of the metal forums I'm in needs to have its domain name renewed at the moment, and the guy who's supposed to be the "owner" of the board has seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth. I'm an Admin on that forum and I'd gladly take care of it myself but I don't have the access level mojo to do so. I hit the "owner" up on Facebook and asked nicely if he could take five minutes to drop by and fix it, but so far nothing has happened. I'm like "Geez, dude, if you're not into this anymore, that's OK, then gimme the damn keys, I'll run the board."

(shrugs) However long this place (and the others I belong to) hang in there, I'll still be around.  
Something similar happened to StompTokyo and Digital Press awhile back; eventually the mods were able to get a hold of the guys who owned the domain, who fixed things. Still worrisome to the folks who still frequent those sites.

Technically, Andrew did show up a few months ago, but he didn't post anything. I think he was just fixing things to keep the site from crashing, and he didn't have to. He also renewed the domain name in April. Be careful about antagonizing the person who pays the bills.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »

f**k you,Andrew.

http://youtu.be/PyM4uAJBujA

It's almost like something scared him off.

I wonder what that might 've been?  "Penny!  Where have you BEAN?"  BEEN?! Lookingup TeddyR Drink 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:49:55 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »

I don't know wtf Andrew's deal is-I had this problem with Micheal Weldon of Psychotronic magazine. I was contributing-and the f**ker ripped me off and cut off conatact after I had donated some rare material (AFTER HOURS mag-Forry Ackerman issue-worth over a thousand bucks). He used the stuff-I never got my s**t back and he jumped the boat. Same s**t happened with Micheal Copner of Cult Magazine-he f**ked me too.

Well.  Well well well.  We have all made mistakes, and taken risks.  Sometimes they work out.  Many times not.  I "rented" some RICKY NELSON material to the producers of a TV show ("Biography" ?) I TAPE RECORDED (it's that long ago) they paid me AND gave me a credit ABOVE RICKY NELSON's widow...  !  One of my proudest moments!   

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 05:14:48 AM »

Strangely I had never considered joining a message board until I stopped and realized that I didnt know anyone in the real world who really appreciated the level of effort and commitment it takes to fail at film making properly...that got me looking up groups on Facebook...which in turn got me looking at posts on reddit, which in turn led me to looking into message boards and this lovely little corner of the internet :) though I do agree I remember message boards in the mid 2000's being an absolute hotbed of people...these days any of the boards im on you'd be lucky to see a handful of threads update a day...

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »

until I stopped and realized that I didnt know anyone in the real world who really appreciated the level of effort and commitment it takes to fail at film making properly..

I realized that on my first day at film school  Wink Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »

until I stopped and realized that I didnt know anyone in the real world who really appreciated the level of effort and commitment it takes to fail at film making properly..

I realized that on my first day at film school  Wink Wink

xD! its very bizarre! at the film school I went to they showed people how to do things properly but never bothered to tell people how to fail spectacularly which I would argue was more important to know xD after all you can teach someone how to fly a plane...but I'd argue its more important to teach them how not to spectacularly crash one...I always got ridiculed for watching terrible, terrible films. But if it wasn't for the likes of Francis Coleman or Tom Rubnitz I very much doubt I would have graduated xD

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

I try to pop in occasionally.  If anything just to check out the Listening thread as most folks here have some good taste in music and I hear something new that piques my interest from time to time.

In general, they seem to be falling off.  Most of the ones I was a part of are gone.  There's 2 others I pop in on besides here.  One's dedicated to Weird Al and his band and 'friends' in the comedy world and another is for Power Rangers and related Japanese Tokusatsu like Godzilla, Sentai, etc.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
316zombie
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »

lol@ tytd, i think  you mean coleman francis? we are fans too!
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »

There are some that die because nobody has updated them. They have also chosen to use a Facebook group instead, as it is free. No domain fee and no update is needed.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are forums dying? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.