Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:36:06 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Please Tell Me Some Movies To Watch « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Please Tell Me Some Movies To Watch  (Read 7740 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »

Some more:

ORGY OF THE DEAD
BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS
GEORGY GIRL

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 11:31:17 PM »

Some more:

ORGY OF THE DEAD
GEORGY GIRL
snicker...
To Harry:  Going for a theme here?  I don't care for any of those.   Drink

DEATHDREAM was suggested by RetroRussell, an excellent suggestion if you want CREEPY 70s Horror, and that one holds up. 

ER, I would probably then urge you to look at:   
OSSESSIONE (1943)  Sexy movie, weirdly distracted, and... spooky. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »

Some idiot put this South African movie on Youtube:

I can't provide a link to Youtube because of firewalls but it is a film to watch.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »

in 2014 I consciously set out to watch a bunch more, almost one every other day (which was huge for me) and in that case I even wrote a hundred page...whatever (e-book? memoir?) about it that if you haven't yet read, boy, you're cheating yourself because it's  totally brilliant, National Book Award material, Pulitzer-worthy, and includes movies, drug addicts, stabbing, a bris, a jail sentence avoided, and amorous, roaming blackbears. It's all about a year in my life filled with motion pictures of all stripe, and every word of it is true. (Except that one. Or...yes, just that one.)

What is the name of this torrid tome so that we may bask in its dark brilliance?

Ha! It's unimaginably titled A Year In Film  though I was thinking of re-naming it Captain Longleaf's Barrel of Zoom. More spizz, y'know? If you want to read it let me know. That goes for everybody.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »

some more -- and a word of warning --- Bucky Larson was really, really rough

The Blob (1958)
Sharknado (2013)
No Holds Barred (1989)
12 Angry Men (1957)
M (1931)
Sherlock Jr. (1924)
The General (1926)
Mary and Max (2009)
Best in Show (2000)
Citizen Kane (1941)
Cut Bank (2014)
Eyes Without a Face (1960)
Following (1998)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
Lavalantula (2015)
Machete (2010)
The Most Dangerous Game (1932)
Robot Monster (1953)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Teenagers From Outer Space (1959)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:28:02 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pacman000
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 11:10:44 AM »

ER, I have a feeling our tastes in movies diverge. Instead of just listing favorites I'll try to list movies which seem historically significant:

H.G. Well's Things to Come - Not the late 70's Star Wars rip off, the 30's version which actually had Well's assistance. This was the most expensive movie ever made till Gone With the Wind came out

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Disney's 1st big-budget live-action feature.

Song of the South - If you can find a copy. Good live action/animation FX mix. Represents the Old South theme as well as Gone with the Wind, but much shorter/less racist.

Beneath the 12 Mile Reef -  2nd film shot in CinemaScope. Don't let the title fool you; while there is some under-water action it's mostly a melodrama. Based loosely on Romeo and Juliet. From what I've read the studio let copyright lapse, so you can probably get it cheaply.

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein - Good for Halloween, and probably a good representation of Abbot and Costello's craft.

Sons of the Desert - One of Laurel and Hardy's best features, a good representation of their craft.

Steamboat Bill - The General gets all the accolades, but I thought this one was funnier. A good representation of Buster Keaton's craft.

The Beast With 1,000,000 Eyes - Bad, but it's where AIP started.

Pokemon the First Movie - Probably more of a personal choice... Yeah, let's leave it at that. Still the most financially successful anime film to get a wide release in the U.S.

The Thief and The Cobbler - Probably the best traditional animation produced since the 40's.

The 7th Void of Sinbad - Ray Harryhausen's 1st adventure movie. (Actually I haven't seen this all the way through. I really want to tho.)

King Kong - Put together most of the visual and sound FX techniques filmmakers would use till the 80's. Except for:

The Thief of Baghdad - 40's version, stars Sabu. Blue Screens were invented for this movie. (Earlier traveling matt processes required actors to be bathed in a yellow light. This was a color film, so that wouldn't work.)

The Jungle Book - 40's Version. Also starring Sabu. Not all that significant, but I like it. Adapts Tiger! Tiger!, The King's Ankus, and Letting in the Jungle. Unlike Disney's adaptions Kaa the rock Python is a good guy. Might represent the Jungle Adventure genre well.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Front projection was invented for this movie.

Star Wars/Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Motion control cameras finally became practical. (Douglas Tumbrull tried something similar for The Starlost, an earlier TV show, but wasn't able to get it working till Close Encounters.)

CG's hard to pin down. I'd recommend watching TRON, The Last Starfighter, Terminator 2, and Jurassic Park to trace its development. Almost forgot DragonHeart; while JP used a mix of robots, costumes, puppets, and CG, DH's creature was done completely with computers, if memory serves. That's significant.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:34:21 AM by Pacman000 » Logged
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

Les Affames (2017) -- French film with English subtitles. The old trope of a "zombie" virus turned into an emotionally devastating and fairly silent film. Even the dialogue is softly spoken, because in this world, the "hungry" can hear and track the slightest sounds. Unnerving film that puts you ground level with a group of survivors who are hoping for safety and salvation but knowing that such things are well-nigh impossible. This honestly should become a classic. Watch the original before some dumbass American company decides to remake it with copious CGI and Michael Bay-level action sequences.

Slaughterhouse Five (1972) -- A quirky, yet excellent, film version of Kurt Vonnegut's most accessible works. Retains most of the novel's intelligence. You do not need to read the book to understand the film. A simple Everyman becomes unstuck in his own timeline and finds himself landing in various significant points of his life. You learn who he is, what events shaped him, and how he ultimately found his bliss. Sad, funny, and profound. Definitely worth a look.

Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971) -- An oddity with a script by Gene Roddenberry and directed by Roger Vadim. A typical California high school suddenly has a rash of the prettiest schoolgirls ending up dead. Not a slasher. It is actually an attack on the permissiveness blossoming in high schools at the time as well as a social comedy on the ineptitude of the supposedly progressive West Coast ideals. See Rock Hudson play a character who is funny, sexy, and out of control. Watch a fairly young Angie Dickinson as a teacher who keeps stumbling over the same awkward high school boy who finds the first murder victim.

More as I think of them. If you want a list of alternate titles ("Best of the Worst" or "Movies I Should Never Recommend to Reasonable People"), let me know. Otherwise, I will try to only list movies that I dearly love, yet are still a touch weird.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »

PS Rev, it's funny, I don't think I had heard of The Room until recently, and suddenly I keep hearing about it. Odd how that happens sometimes.

Not so odd. With THE DISASTER ARTIST coming out, THE ROOM is back in the limelight. But the same thing happened to me about 3 years ago with THE ROOM. Had no clue about it. Once I heard about it, the damn thing seemed to be haunting me.

Then I watched it.

Now it just scares me in a good way.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »

Some more:

ORGY OF THE DEAD
GEORGY GIRL
snicker...
To Harry:  Going for a theme here?  I don't care for any of those.   Drink

I'm taking these recommendations down on a list and I'm going to look every one of them up for my year-long movie (don't say orgy, don't say orgy) marathon.

There's a method to his madness... Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »

Rumblefish
Repo Man

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 11:26:50 PM »

Dudes

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 01:13:33 AM »

What type of movie genre do you prefer?

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »

Do you know any good historical films?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
Aforementioned SCHINDLER'S LIST
HOTEL RWANDA
12 YEARS A SLAVE

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »

Start the Revolution Without Me -- Historically accurate? Probably not, but you can't go too wrong with Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland playing dual roles. Oh, and Orson Welles, who was big enough to play dual roles without special effects. And it's a comedy.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Please Tell Me Some Movies To Watch « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.