Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:09:04 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS (1972)  (Read 3529 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: November 14, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »

CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS (1972) dir. Bob Clark

A troupe of third rate actors and their vain,dictatorial director visit an old graveyard and dig up a corpse for use in a Satanic Ceremony. Why? To raise the dead, of course! After seemingly failing at dead-raising,they drag the dead body to an abandoned house,because the leader of this motley crew wants to party with it.  Of course,whether by black magic or just because the dead don't like to be f**ked with, they rise to take their revenge.

Many site the LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE (1974) as the 2nd cannibalistic zombie film after NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968).Not so-these zombies enjoy a human nosh as well.

The first half of the film is tough going.  Writer Alan Ormsby also stars as the leader of the actors, and dam-talk about long winded diatribes! He and one of the actresses (Valarie Mamches) do lotsa stupid,annoying as hell pretentious verbal sparring.
BUT!
Once the dead start to rise-the movie changes tone. There's a wide shot scene in the graveyard ,with the corpses squirming out of the earth, that is almost poetic. The zombies themselves are genuinely creepy. And the siege on the boarded up house is well done.
 The only thing creepier than the undead in this film is the terrifying early '70's fashions. It brought back memories of having to wear multi-colored striped bell-bottoms to school in the 3rd grade.  Ugh!
 Overall,once you get past the grating dialogue (and IF-because it's a chore) in the first half, you'll be rewarded with some spooky zombie
mayhem.
OH-director Bob Clark went on the make PORKY'S (1981) while writer Alan Ormsby went on to write and direct the classic Ed Gein movie DERANGED (1974).

Small | Large

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:22:41 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:17:01 AM »

Never seen it, but I've always thought that was a good "bad title."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »

I own CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS on DVD.  I first saw it in the mid 1970s on a late night Horror movie show.  It scared the p!ss out of me... It's dumb, but I like it. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
beat_truck
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »

I saw this 15+ years ago and HATED it mainly because of the annoying characters and dumb dialog.  Maybe I'll have to try watching it again.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »

I saw this 15+ years ago and HATED it mainly because of the annoying characters and dumb dialog.  Maybe I'll have to try watching it again.

Oh-you ain't wrong about the "annoying characters and dumb dialog". That IS the hump to get over . Once the zombies rise-there is very little talking at all. In fact,the lead character-the director-barely speaks 2 words once the killing starts.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 02:59:59 AM »

Andrew's "Interviews" tab up top has an interview with Seth Sklarey, who played Orville in CSPWDT.  Apparently Alan Ormsby's a**hole character didn't require much acting on his part.  Good read!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:30 PM »

I guess the title is not good, but I will give it a try in hope that I won't be disappointed.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:56:41 PM »

To me it feels less like "the first half" and more like "the first three quarters".  Maybe it';s been a while since I watched it so I'm remembering it wrong, but it feels like nothing happens right up until the very end of the movie. 

With that said, this was THE movie I used to torment my friends when it was my turn to pick movies ... well, this and Bloodsucking Freaks. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:53:49 AM »

I was very,VERY tempted to shut it off when I first saw it long ago.

But-hey folks-it's our bound duty-DUTY!-I say!-to watch this stuff. I ain't gonna let some annoying dialogue stop me!
If I can sit threw drek like GINGERDEAD MAN or SINGLE ROOM FURNISHED-no sweat,baby! A walk in the park.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »

we LOVE this movie, AND it was the first dvd we ever bought,based purely on the title, lol! and yes,i also use it to drive people out the house on occasion, lol!
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »

RC said my EXACT same sentiments about this movie. One you get past 90% talk and Alan's pants, the zombie action is just beautiful.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.