Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:22:08 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Justice League « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 2557 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »

I'm sure there are people here that would put this film in the "bad movie" section.  But while it was a very flawed movie, I had fun watching it.  And that's really all that matters. 
I will say this.  It was pretty easy to see which parts were Snyder's and which were Whedon's.

Unlike Marvel's Avengers which comparisons to are going to be pretty much unavoidable,  JL had to introduce several hero characters first, and we'll see them get their stand alone films later.  This works for Cyborg because he had been a relatively minor hero until the Teen Titan cartoons came along. And yes, there's a reference to that show in here.

Aquaman had one of the best character building scenes.  And if your only knowledge of him comes from the Superfriends cartoons-you really don't understand the character.  This one still wasn't right, but I think the idea is to see him mature into the character he is in the comics.

I also like how this movie does tie into the others of the DCEU.  I'm not going into spoilers just yet, but I will say the this film uses a lot of previous elements to make the world feel a little more connected.

Not as good as Wonder Woman, but I'd say its better then the rest of the DCEU films.  Their going in the right direction but still stumbling a bit.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

I agree with much of what you've stated. Not great, not as good as WW, but better than the rest of the live action DC (but nowhere near as good as the animated films).

Biggest flaw for me was that these (mostly) aren't the characters we grew up loving. Wonder Woman was the best portrayal. I did love the one flashback scene with so-and-so (trying to avoid spoilers), which was sorely lacking in previous entries. Aquaman didn't really come off as nobility with his surfer dude-brah talk, but I still liked him. Batman pretty much did the opposite of what Batman does (but at least it's consistent with Batfleck from BvS being so friggin' stupid) ...i.e. e's not a detective and loves taking unnecessary risks, just as a couple of examples. Cyborg was great. Flash was more like Kid Flash (but I was ok with that) and I really liked his issues/scenes.

The villain was subpar. It makes no sense to bring in this particular villain unless it was a lead up to you-know-who, which, according to the after credits sequence, it wasn't (I was surprised when he finally hailed said person as I thought he wasn't even going to mention him). When it comes to all the awesome JL villains over the years, this one doesn't even compare. So, I figured they were going to do something different with this guy, but alas no, it's just a generic world destroyer...again. Still, he was better than Luthor Jr's portrayal in BvS, eeeegads.  And they should avoid mixing popular comic arcs into a big mess (Miller's BvS, Flashpoint Paradox, New Gods, Injustice video game story, etc.) - they need to just make a coherent, unique story (hell the video game was unique enough that it launched a multi year story); in another words they need to stop aping themselves and just create one good story.

Also didn't like a certain character being the douche-ex-machina, but all of that is rather minor.

But as you stated, overall it *was* fun. I laughed and giggled at some amusing moments throughout the film. I also cracked the hell up at Buttfleck's angry and in-pain Bat/fat faces at one point. I'd mention more of those moments but I don't want to spoil anymore than I have. Also, I loved the after credit sequences; the last one has me excited for the next one.

Much better than I had expected, flaws and all.

I'd give it 3 batfatfleck faces.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:33:28 PM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »

The villain was subpar. It makes no sense to bring in this particular villain unless it was a lead up to you-know-who, which, according to the after credits sequence, it wasn't (I was surprised when he finally hailed said person as I thought he wasn't even going to mention him)

In all likelihood, their saving him for the grand third film.  I like that some comic book film realize certain villains need to be set up just as much as the hero.  I've said one of the problems the Fantastic Four movies is that they keep using Doctor Doom as the main bad guy right out of the gate, when he's the type of character that works better when you can really get to see and understand him first.

As for what the threat in the second movie, ...we're going into spoilers here so consider your self worn...

SPOILERS for After Credit Stingers.

We see that Lex Luthor has escaped prison and recruits Deathstoke the Terminator to join his League.  Meaning the Jusitce League will be facing off against the InJustice League.

And that makes me excited.  Think about it, DC will actually outdo Marvel this respect.  All the Avenger movies have had the same villain.  A World Conqueror and his generic army.  Loki and the aliens.  Ultron and his Drones.  They haven't taken on a threat like the Masters of Evil.

Granted Stephenwolf was really no different, but if DC brings in the InJustice League-we'll see the JLA take on a group of foes each with unique abilities and powers.  That will be a real show.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »

It really is the humorous side that has worked in this movie. It is not the best film but it is worth watching if you want to laugh hard with the lines that the Flash have thrown.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »

**************** Spoiler warning *****************************

Yes, you are probably correct: if they make a third one, that's when they could lead to him. I just hope they give him a different motive than "destroy/convert Earth" but we will see. I wonder if it'll take the JL and the Injustice League to team up together to take out the Almighty Darkseid and the other New Gods.
(related: I'm still confused on what the heck they are doing with the plot dev...I mean Mother boxes...as they seem to have made them part Mother Box, part Hellspawn, and part Brianiac symbolism *shrugs*)

Based on Deathstroke's reveal and Luthor Jr's plan (after credits scene), I too am giddy for the next one: always loved the Injustice Gang -having a group of badass villains teaming up is always a good show. Makes me curious/excited on who they might recruit. The possibilities are endless (Cheetah, Black Adam, Black Manta, the Parasite, Captain Cold, Larfleeze (heh, just kidding), Livewire, Clayface, etc.).

I'm also curious on who they might recruit next for the JL: likely Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Firestorm, Black Canary, Hawkgirl, or hopefully Martian Manhunter. Likely Green Lantern, I'm betting.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:25 AM »

Saw this on the weekend and had mixed feelings.  It's visually spectacular although relies wayyyy too much on CGI.  It felt like it took a while to get into the story, and I had this sensation of waiting for the second act to click over even though it already had.

The set pieces were magnificent.  The first battle between Amazons and main villain was really exciting, and conveyed a sense of overwhelming odds.

Aquaman was a bit too surfer bro for my liking.  Wasn't happy with how Batman was used for comic relief from time to time; I actually prefer the brooding psychopath from Batman v Superman.  Cyborg's character seemed quite well developed, and Wonder Woman was great as usual.  They really picked the right actress with Gal Gadot.

They really pushed the 'comic book look' in the colour grading for this film.  It seemed even more cartoonish and 'synthetic' than Man of Steel, which had at least some semblance of reality.  Everything seemed stylized.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Justice League « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.