Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:33:30 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Movies With Problems In Production « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bad Movies With Problems In Production  (Read 4821 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 30, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »

I think the best movie reviews should come with a little story of how a bad movie came to be. Especially when it comes to films that were almost good.
I'd like to start there for my channel. I need a list of movies that went through these problems.
Just so you know, I'm already aware of Foodfight and Caligula so you don't need to bring them up.

Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »

Waterworld comes to mind, tho I think it's a good movie which couldn't  be profitable because the production troubles made its budget too high.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »

Heaven's Gate, certainly. I cannot imagine why anyone would think that making a film where one of the original lines in the script was "You look like a man about to s--t a pumpkin" would be a good idea.  Buggedout

Also, how does a film which was originally budgeted for $6 million end up almost bankrupting a studio, almost ending an Oscar winning director's career and way later being praised as a classic?  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:03:52 AM »

Waterworld and Heaven's Gate are pretty well known and have been criticized to death.
I welcome these high-profile examples but keep smaller films in mind. Going over everything that went wrong
in a high budget film like those would take a long time.

Things like Waterworld, Heaven's Gate, Battlefield Earth, and The Adventures of Pluto Nash
are possibilities for the future but will have to be kept on the back burner.

Pacman000
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »

I can think of plenty of movies with troubled productions, but they over came their problems to become successes, even classics.

I suppose The Thief and the Cobbler and Cutthroat Island have been done to death too...

Maybe Tales of Robin Hood? But I don't know of any production troubles; it was just a failed TV pilot.

You might try some of Lewis Coat's movies (Luigi Cozzi?) I think his distributors usually gave him demands which hurt his films. Would a producer's demands count as production trouble?

TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »

The one that springs to my mind immediately would be Tinto Brass's "Caligula" apparently the initial cut was actually pretty impressive. one of the closest examples of a B-movie touching A-movie ground...then the money started to run out so they got Penthouse involved and well...things kind of went a bit seedy from there. they shot a load of Hardcore scenes and spliced it into the film without Brass's knowing and the film totally bombed...that being said the soundtracks still awesome and my vinyl copy (While slightly warped) still gets a regular spin  BounceGiggle

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 06:08:05 PM »

The Star Wars Holiday Special.

If only because I recently read an interesting article on what went wrong. Problems arranged from . . .
--lack of oversight from George Lucas
--a writer who was heavily into cocaine, while he was writing it.
--people who realized they were in over their heads, but by that time, it was too late for them to pull out.
--actors passing out in the Cantina scene, because of the lack of oxygen.
--a director who quit a few days into the filming.

Still, there are a number of apparent 1sts.
--the 1st incarnation of Lando or an early incarnation of the character as played by Art Carney.
--the 1st appearance of Boba Fett.
--the 1st time James Earl Jones was credited as the voice of Darth Vader.

Though, the minuses well outnumber the positives.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »

Justice League appears to be a victim of this. Zack Snyder had a serious family tragedy that made him drop out; Joss Whedon replaced him. Differences in vision ensue.

Apparently it wasn't terrible, but it certainly isn't living up to box office expectations.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »

Another film, which I have always wanted to see, even if I have yet see it, because of the subject matter, but a film that if something could go wrong it did. The 1968 version of The Charge of the Light Brigade.

A writer who died during the pre-production.
The next writer being fired for refusing to do a rewrite of his script.
With the next writer after that turning in a script of over 300 pages.

A stunt coordinator fired for abusing the horses in the film.

A star whose off-screen behavior was out of control.

Extras who were constantly getting into physical and verbal confrontations with the locals.

An editor who edited the film in such a way as to leave huge gaps in the story. Which gaps were suppose to be then covered over by animation. (More on that later.)

A director who was a tyrant on the set.

The animation, which some regard as being the best part of the film, was left unfinished when the film was 1st shown to audiences.

And even Mother Nature got into the act, as an earthquake destroyed the hotel which was being used by the people making the film.

claws
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »

The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) - All the juicy details here.
Wes Craven's Cursed (2005) was cursed. All the juicy details here.
Pacman000
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »

King Kong (1976) http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/king-kong/250594/the-struggles-of-king-kong-76

If I remember right the film was still a commercial success, but it was also a critical failure.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »

Moon In Scorpio (1987)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093563/

This popped up on Comet not too long ago, & I looked it up to try & figure out what the title meant.

I still don't know what it means, & I didn't bother watching, but the trivia page was full of stories about how the director wanted a supernatural thriller, but the producers twisted his arm into turning into a formulaic slasher, then went behind his back & had it re-edited into something that made no sense...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 03:44:27 AM »

Another film, which I have always wanted to see, even if I have yet see it, because of the subject matter, but a film that if something could go wrong it did. The 1968 version of The Charge of the Light Brigade.

A writer who died during the pre-production.
The next writer being fired for refusing to do a rewrite of his script.
With the next writer after that turning in a script of over 300 pages.

A stunt coordinator fired for abusing the horses in the film.

A star whose off-screen behavior was out of control.

Extras who were constantly getting into physical and verbal confrontations with the locals.

An editor who edited the film in such a way as to leave huge gaps in the story. Which gaps were suppose to be then covered over by animation. (More on that later.)

A director who was a tyrant on the set.

The animation, which some regard as being the best part of the film, was left unfinished when the film was 1st shown to audiences.

And even Mother Nature got into the act, as an earthquake destroyed the hotel which was being used by the people making the film.

I've seen Charge Of The Light Brigade several times and it is a very good film, IMO. I saw it on TV, not in the cinema.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pacman000
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 09:55:34 AM »

Utopia, Laurel and Hardy's last movie.

In the late 1940s, Laurel and Hardy were without film employment. Earlier in the decade, they ended their long association with producer Hal Roach and signed to make a series of films at both 20th Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. In post-World War II Europe, Laurel and Hardy were enjoying a new popularity with audiences that had been unable to see their movies during wartime. As a result of this, the pair received an offer from a French-Italian cinematic consortium to star in a film to be produced in France for $1.5 million, a large budget for the era.[1]

The production of Atoll K was riddled with many problems that caused the production to be extended abnormally. Ida Laurel, Stan Laurel’s widow, told biographer John McCabe, "I’m hardly likely to forget the date we left for France and the date we returned – April 1, 1950, and April 1, 1951. But there was no April Fooling about that terrible year. That bloody picture was supposed to take twelve weeks to make, and it took twelve months."[2]

From the beginning, there were disagreements on the film’s screenplay. Laurel was unhappy with the storyline envisioned by French director Léo Joannon and insisted on bringing Alfred Goulding and Monty Collins to aid in the screenplay’s creation (Alf Goulding received no on-screen credit and Monty Collins was credited with "gags"). There were also considerable problems in communications, since neither Laurel nor Hardy spoke French and Joannon spoke very little English.[1]

During the production, the two comedy stars encountered serious problems. Laurel’s pre-existing diabetes was aggravated and he developed colitis, dysentery and a prostate ulcer while on the French locations for the film. He eventually required hospitalization,[3] and his widow would later fault the quality of the French medical care, claiming that at one point, she had to substitute for an absent nurse by changing her husband’s bandages. Laurel’s weight dropped to 114 pounds, and for most of the production he could only work in 20 or 30-minute spurts.[4]

Hardy, however, saw his already hefty frame expand to 330 pounds while in France, and he required medical care for cardiac fibrillation and the flu. Adding to the medical problems was Italian actor Adriano Rimoldi, who played the stowaway, when he fell from a docked yacht and required a month's recuperation away from the production.[3]

When they were able to work, Laurel and Hardy saw their relationship with Joannon fray dramatically. Ida Laurel would later claim Joannon was an incompetent who spent three days filming a lake because, as she said, "it was the most photogenic lake he’d ever seen."[2] In the middle of the production, US film director John Berry was quietly brought in to work with the comedy team. Berry’s US career had been ruined by the Hollywood blacklist and he sought to start over in France. However, his participation was kept secret out of the fear that the film would not get a US theatrical release if it became known that a blacklisted director was at its helm.[1] Berry’s contribution was not publicly acknowledged until 1967, when film historian William K. Everson cited the uncredited director’s input in his book The Films of Laurel and Hardy.[5] While Berry never publicly acknowledged his work on Atoll K, the film's leading lady Suzy Delair confirmed his role during an interview with historian Norbert Aping.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atoll_K

! No longer available Small | Large

(Hopefully that's an English version.)
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »

THE WOLFMAN (2010)

I knew this had troubles but I never really read much about it till now.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780653/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

danny elfman recorded an entire score that was then rejected?! thats gotta hurt. and the film absolutely sucks. its so boring and soulless, and overly reliant on CGI.

also JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989)

was supposed to be mainly set in manhattan then ended up mainly on the boat to manhattan, lol. I do love this film though, for all its crappiness..

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Movies With Problems In Production « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.