Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:31 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Wild and Strange world of Fan Films « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Wild and Strange world of Fan Films  (Read 2005 times)
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« on: December 06, 2017, 04:41:49 AM »

i've quite recently been doing quite a bit of research into the world of Fan Films...in particular the weird chasm of films that were made between the late 80's and early 2000's. That period just as domestic video camcorders were beginning to become more reasonably affordable to Joe everyman. in many respects they fascinate me because your effectively seeing people who have limited or no experience of making movies not only trying to make studio epics on a non existant budget; but they're doing so while utilising familiar characters and scenarios. From what digging I've done I mainly found garbage but there are a decent few "Ed Woods" thrown into the mix. "Directors" who have a clear vision of what they're looking for but have no clear idea of how to get there. If im a total sucker for passion; I can forgive any piece of schlock (Within reason) as long as someone somewhere down the production line genuinely believed the film was going to be a masterpiece.

In particular I've been predominantly looking at Doctor who and Star trek fan films (Though I did recently unearth a group who had made a fan film version of the UK comedy series "The young ones" which was a fun evening I can tell you!) but I was wondering whether anyone on here had stumbled across any fan films that were either too weird for words, awful or just downright brilliant as Im always looking to broaden my horizons  TeddyR

WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »

There's plenty in the comic book superhero genre.  A well known one is Batman: Dead End

Small | Large

And if you want some daikaiju action, check out Godzilla Battle Royale  Considering they had to make all the costumes themselves, its a fun one.  
Small | Large

Its a full length move, but it gets wild even for a Godzilla film. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:41:56 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »

http://themushroomkingdom.net/fanfilms.shtml

A collection of Super Mario fan films from the late 90's/early 2000's. Never watched any of them, but I'd like to.

EDIT: Here's the 1st one on YouTube:
! No longer available Small | Large

And another:

And another:

There were a few others on TMK, but those weren't fan-films in the traditional story-with-copyrighted-characters sense.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:20:32 AM by Pacman000 » Logged
Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 04:26:43 PM »

I might suggest the book Homemade Hollywood by Clive Young. Traces fan films from the 20's to the early 2000's, with some emphasis on the period you mentioned. https://www.popmatters.com/72519-homemade-hollywood-by-clive-young-2496033319.html

Young used to run a website called the Mos Eisley Multiplex, which linked to Star Wars fan films before YouTube organized/hosted everything. Offline, but archived: https://web.archive.org/web/19990421153709/members.aol.com/moseisleym/sw-main.html.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »

You probably saw this one, but somebody reviewed "Star Trek Time Warp Trilogy" for my website: http://366weirdmovies.com/capsule-star-trek-time-warp-trilogy-2010-2013/

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Wild and Strange world of Fan Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.