Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:49:44 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Disney Buys Fox « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Disney Buys Fox  (Read 5402 times)
Pacman000
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/disney-buys-fox-key-points-deal-155390.html

They've been working on the deal for a few weeks.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »

Wow. I remember Bill Maher talking about another huge corporate merger (step towards monopolization) and asking "When was the last time the government said No to a corporate merger? Or is that just something that used to happen?"

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

Disney wants to own every single fictional character. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:55:17 PM »

Even the public domain ones!
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »

I am a little concerned with Disney buying so many companies but hey, at least Marvel gets X-Men back.

Oh and Fantastic Four I guess. I dunno if I'd be too excited about that one.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:48:10 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »

Badmovies.org doesn't seem to like my image and made it too small.

=\

It's the Rotten Tomatoes scores for the 2005 Fantastic Four, Rise of the Silver Surfer, and Fant4stic.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »

Hugh... Maybe the Bamster should've gone for Disney Neutrality... The changes would've been more noticeable...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

Apparently Fox doesn't actually own the rights to the Fantastic Four, but rented them off some other company so Disney still doesn't get them.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 03:14:55 PM »

With all due respect to everyone's opinions, so far . . .

I doubt if they are going for all the fictional characters, even those in public domain, for they already have use of those, including Sherlock Holmes, which recently became a public domain character. And if it is an attempt to take those in the public domain out of public domain for their sole use, it is probably not worth their time and effort. Not only because of the legality of it, but they already have a full slate of characters, including . . .

Disney animation
Marvel
more Marvel
the Muppets
Pixar animation
Star Wars

The past. The present. And, most importantly, the future. Again, which we'll get to later.

No. What they will do is to fight tooth and claw to keep those characters that are under copyright continue to be under copyright. Even those characters that should be under public domain, as the time period for the copyright should have run out.

As to whom owns the Fantastic 4, it might be like who owns the regional sports networks and the Fox TV channel. Upon which I am hearing conflicting opinions. But a of people now believe that they have the rights to the Fantastic 4, because one of the hottest topics on the internet is what should come out of the gate 1st: Fantastic 4 or the X-Men. I opt for the 4, as less has been done with them, and--frankly--what has been done has not been that good, as compared to the X-Men. Some of which (IMHO) has been quite good.

But we will see what we will see.
Pacman000
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »

I meant this mostly as a joke...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 04:17:51 PM »

I meant this mostly as a joke...

I know, but for those who think it might be true, and there is probably more than one person out there who does think it is true, as one cannot believe what some people think it is true about the merger, I does want to assure them, that it is most likely not true.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 04:32:51 PM »

With all due respect to everyone's opinions, so far . . .

I doubt if they are going for all the fictional characters, even those in public domain, for they already have use of those, including Sherlock Holmes, which recently became a public domain character. And if it is an attempt to take those in the public domain out of public domain for their sole use, it is probably not worth their time and effort. Not only because of the legality of it, but they already have a full slate of characters, including . . .

Disney animation
Marvel
more Marvel
the Muppets
Pixar animation
Star Wars

The past. The present. And, most importantly, the future. Again, which we'll get to later.

No. What they will do is to fight tooth and claw to keep those characters that are under copyright continue to be under copyright. Even those characters that should be under public domain, as the time period for the copyright should have run out.

As to whom owns the Fantastic 4, it might be like who owns the regional sports networks and the Fox TV channel. Upon which I am hearing conflicting opinions. But a of people now believe that they have the rights to the Fantastic 4, because one of the hottest topics on the internet is what should come out of the gate 1st: Fantastic 4 or the X-Men. I opt for the 4, as less has been done with them, and--frankly--what has been done has not been that good, as compared to the X-Men. Some of which (IMHO) has been quite good.

But we will see what we will see.

To make a few counterpoints.

While I think its impossible to take a creation out of public domain, what Disney has are the most recognizable versions of some of those characters.  If you asked a group of people what they thought of if you said "Cinderella" "Pinocchio"  or "Sleeping Beauty"  I'm sure the overwhelming majority of them would picture the Disney versions.   So I might be able to make a new version of one of those characters, it would be like making a new soda pop and have it compete against Coke-a-cola.

I'm fine with them having their own versions of characters, its the ones that are more recent creations that worries me.

Marvel, the muppets, and Star Wars were not Disney creations to begin with.  They were purchased.  And being owned by Disney has had effect on them.  For example:  Marvel comics were told that they until they got the rights back-they could not create any new characters for X-Men and Fantastic Four.  They could kill off characters, but no new ones that another company would have the licensing  rights too.   This lead to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being retconned into inhumans rather than mutants.  A story line where they said mutants would soon go extinct, and the Fantastic Four book being cancelled.  

Now that they have Fox, they might start changing direction somewhat, but it really seemed disingenuous they way they treated characters who for a long time where Marvel's flagship characters or iconic creations.  

Sigh....Disney is a company I have incredibly back-and-forth opinions on.  They've made movies I like, even love.  We probably wouldn't have the MCU without them, but then they pull the EA level of corporate takeover.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:46:10 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »

Can't wait for "High School Musical 4: When Hannah Montana Met Deadpool."

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »

ADHD

I don't get Fox News with my cable package, but I just can't help but wonder how that's gonna work out...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 10:09:24 PM »

Oh my, let's see how it will work. Two big production merge.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Disney Buys Fox « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.