Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:40:49 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Official Spoiler-Free STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Thread « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official Spoiler-Free STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Thread  (Read 2381 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »

OK, this is for those of us who have seen the movie to give broad, general opinions about it without spoiling the plot, and for those who haven't seen it yet to read without fear of having key elements given away:

I watched this one last night with my wife (we have seen EVERY SINGLE Star Wars movie together, in the theaters, since we were in 7th grade in 1977! - and it was our 33rd anniversary last night, too, so what a perfect date!), and overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are a couple of fairly cheesy scenes early on, but for the most part it is an excellent film, well acted, with some great sci-fi critters (the crystal foxes and little bug eyed penguin thingies seen in the trailer are just the tip of the iceberg!), cool effects, and an interesting storyline.

There are a couple of frustrating dead ends, plot-wise, but overall I loved the film and I think most  STAR WARS fans should - although from what I am seeing there is a wide divergence of opinion among fans.

So what did you think?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »

I saw it last night myself with my sister, brother in law, and my cousin and her husband.

It was a great film.  I enjoyed it so much.

The theater was packed full.  I am so glad I bought tickets ahead of time for this movie.  And post surgery movie theater seats don't feel like they were made for stick people and actually feel comfortable.  I had a little bit of popcorn and the theater also sells BEER, so I had some of that last night.

For some reason, Snoke's man cave immediately made me think of the throne room in Starcrash.

I felt that Benicio Monserrate Rafael del Toro Sánchez was kind of wasted in the role they had him in.  It would have been 500 times cooler if they had him bring Grand Admiral Thrawn to the big screen.  Put him and Kylo Ren together and get rid of that ginger idiot Hux and the Resistance would have been in deeeeep s**t.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »

Snoke made me think of the original Star Trek series. I kept getting the impression he should have been a villain in that and was being played by Jack Palance.

Also a little bit of my childhood died, but I'll wait on everyone else who wants to see the movie seeing it before I explain that part and it isn't in a "Oh my gods, this movie it terrible, why did you do it to us George?" type way killing of my childhood either.

I agree with Indiana about the cheesy acting at the start and thought that maybe the comedy element was a tad overplayed. I kept wanting to film to settle down and be more serious which I don't think it did until the last act. Some good, unexpected plot twists.

It's by no means my favourite Star Wars movie, but equally it's very far from being the worst either. I would recommend going to see it though if you are at all a fan of Star Wars.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »

Snoke made me think of the original Star Trek series. I kept getting the impression he should have been a villain in that and was being played by Jack Palance.

Also a little bit of my childhood died, but I'll wait on everyone else who wants to see the movie seeing it before I explain that part and it isn't in a "Oh my gods, this movie it terrible, why did you do it to us George?" type way killing of my childhood either.

I agree with Indiana about the cheesy acting at the start and thought that maybe the comedy element was a tad overplayed. I kept wanting to film to settle down and be more serious which I don't think it did until the last act. Some good, unexpected plot twists.

It's by no means my favourite Star Wars movie, but equally it's very far from being the worst either. I would recommend going to see it though if you are at all a fan of Star Wars.

You mean this guy?

Now that I think of it Snoke does look a little like him.  Do the wavy screen and it would be complete.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »

It's a bit hard to not be spoilery...  I'll just say I thought it was alright.  It's a very good looking and well-acted film, with some interesting story stuff and a lot of good elements..  But a lot of the gel in-between doesn't quite work and sinks the film quite a bit for me.
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:06 AM »

When I saw the trailers, I was like "hmm the empire strikes back. again."
Wrong.
This one's like a jumpstart to leave the past storyline behind. Snoke is dead, so, no more Emperor figure. Phasma is dead, so, no more Boba Fett figure. I also liked the idea of Rey not being connected to a big somebody (I guess we have to wait until IX to prove this), like anybody can be a Jedi now. IMO, it helps us focus on the new central characters while bringing the series into the realm of the unexpected.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:45:20 AM »

When I saw the trailers, I was like "hmm the empire strikes back. again."
Wrong.
This one's like a jumpstart to leave the past storyline behind. Snoke is dead, so, no more Emperor figure. Phasma is dead, so, no more Boba Fett figure. I also liked the idea of Rey not being connected to a big somebody (I guess we have to wait until IX to prove this), like anybody can be a Jedi now. IMO, it helps us focus on the new central characters while bringing the series into the realm of the unexpected.

Uhm, this is supposed to be spoiler free, not letting people know who lives and dies.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:47:16 AM »

Since this is the spoiler free post on TLJ, I'll just say that I loved it, loved the messages, too.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:10:44 AM »

I saw it last night - with a very excited nine year old and his parents and grandma - what an incredible film and what a rush I got out of it! I saw it in IMAX and 3D: don't know if you need to spend the extra $$ to see it in those formats but it was worth it.

I loved the humor and the emotion in it: and, yes, when I saw Carrie Fisher onscreen for the first time, I blew her a kiss.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »

Well, I'm not going to see TLJ for one reason. After TFA I decided the next movie absolutely had to do one thing, and do it well, to be worth seeing. I won't say what it was so no spoiler, but people have said it not only did not to what it had to do, it in fact did the exact opposite.

So, no, Darth mickey, no tlj money from me.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Official Spoiler-Free STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.