Main Menu

What's the most tragic movie villain in a horror movie?

Started by chuckwoodjohn, December 30, 2017, 12:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckwoodjohn

For me, it's the monster in The Being (1983), its just a kid who got exposed to radiation and turned into a monster. He didn't do anything wrong, he wasn't bad, he just had some bad luck and he suffered far too much.

indianasmith

I thought that Dracula, in the Francis Ford Coppola version, was a very sympathetic villain.

And Somorra in THE RING - she didn't ask to be the way she was, nor could she control it.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

claws

RCMerchant

.Most certainly the Monster in FRANKENSTEIN (1931) and the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)
.KING KONG (1933)
.Lon Chaney in the WOLF MAN (1941)
.All the Creature from the Black Lagoon films-but the CREATURE WALKS AMONG US (1956), where they mutilate him to try and make him more human-so sad.

http://youtu.be/TJS4genrav4
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

LilCerberus

The FunHouse
Pretty much both the protagonist AND the antagonist have been having pretty crappy days prior to the showdown...
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

Trevor

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.

stine.greta

Chucky seemed like just another Good Guy doll but was, in fact, possessed by a serial killer who transferred his soul into toy during his final moments. Chucky ends up in the hands of innocent Andy, who ends up being the owner of this doll that comes to life and kills people. Dolls have always been a little unnerving, but Chucky really made us look twice when we passed by a Cabbage Patch Kid.
A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.

LilCerberus

Rebecca De Mornay's character in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (1992)
What happens to her character at the beginning of the movie makes it way to easy to empathize with her rage against Annabella Sciorra's character, with an ending that's way too predictable and formulaic.
"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.

RCMerchant

Quote from: stine.greta on January 08, 2018, 08:17:24 PM
Chucky seemed like just another Good Guy doll but was, in fact, possessed by a serial killer who transferred his soul into toy during his final moments. Chucky ends up in the hands of innocent Andy, who ends up being the owner of this doll that comes to life and kills people. Dolls have always been a little unnerving, but Chucky really made us look twice when we passed by a Cabbage Patch Kid.

Chucky? Tragic?  :question:
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Svengoolie 3

Carrie.  The titular character in the movie of the same name.

I assume no explanation is required.
The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.

Chainsawmidget

I don't get Chucky as tragic either. 

I also back RC's Universal monsters suggestions and add one he left out.  The Phantom of the Opera. 

Norman bates is also really messed up and it's not his fault.  Not completely.  I'd actually recommend watching the entire Anthony Perkins Psycho series.  They do a great job at building his character without ever turning him into a cliche monster. 

I'm also going to toss out "Baby" Jane from Whatever ever Happened to Baby Jane.  There's a far underrated movie for you that's bound to make you uncomfortable at some point. 

Pacman000

Quote from: indianasmith on December 30, 2017, 02:29:46 AM
And Somorra in THE RING - she didn't ask to be the way she was, nor could she control it.
A scene near the end of the movie did imply that she liked being that way.

Rev. Powell

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Allhallowsday

Quote from: stine.greta on January 08, 2018, 08:17:24 PM
There is NOTHING tragic about that creep.
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

ER

What does not kill me makes me stranger.