Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:17:08 PM
714346 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  WTH Oregon?!? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WTH Oregon?!?  (Read 4553 times)
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:35 AM »

So, apparently up until recently it was ILLEGAL for people in Oregon to pump their own gas.  Well, that all changed with some new regulations and now the state is allowing people to do this and a LOT of folk have taken to the interwebs to COMPLAIN about it.  Some even saying they don't want to pump their own gas for fear they'll be "mugged by transients" or "smell like gas" afterwards.

First up, I didn't even know this was still a thing.  I stupidly took it for granted that pretty much everyone, everywhere pumped their own gas except for maybe rich people who have chauffeurs or some s**t.

Will someone please tell me all this outcry is exaggerated and not everyone is state is a complete simpleton?  Please?? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/03/i-dont-even-know-how-some-oregonians-panic-about-new-self-service-gas-law/?utm_term=.d7822a20c736

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 04:30:12 AM »

There's a lot of dumb, liberal hippy doofuses in Oregon-- mostly from Portland-- that complain about the most mundane things and support the most idiotic things.  Idiots that block major freeways/highways/bridges and interrupt miles of traffic just to protest about Trump well after the election is over.  We haven't pumped our own gas before but it doesn't take long to do.  I don't think it should be that big a deal.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 04:46:02 AM »

In South Africa, it's illegal to pump your own gas  / petrol.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:39:43 AM »

I remember full-service gas stations. Would check your oil and wash your wind shield too.
That seemed to go the way of the milkman and doctors making house calls.

Why it would be illegal,not sure.  Question

As for b***hing about it? That seems petty and lazy.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »

New Jersey, too.

I do think the full-service option should be there for the elderly, disabled, etc. But making it illegal to pump your own gas is obviously insane.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »

Depends on when the laws went into effect. I can see such rules during wartime because of the rationing of gas. If they never got around to removing the law, then that would explain the pumping of your own gas still being illegal.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
AoTFan

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 02:21:16 AM »

According to some comments I've read on Imgur, a LOT of Oregions are perfectly fine with pumping their own gas and, frankly, getting a little p**sed that a small percentage of people are making their entire look like idiots.  So, yay, faith in humanity!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »

Depends on when the laws went into effect. I can see such rules during wartime because of the rationing of gas. If they never got around to removing the law, then that would explain the pumping of your own gas still being illegal.
That makes sense!
Why they wouldn't change it makes no sense.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:25 AM »

I find it fascinating that some who live in Oregon act like this is the apocalypse.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »

That is odd. I enjoyed the time we spent in Oregon years ago, visiting there, and the area around Portland was the crunchiest place I'd ever been, but strangely I have no memory of the gas stations being full-serve only.

Back when the children were younger I used to go to this station where they'd pump your gas for an extra penny a gallon, since it was easier than getting out and leaving them alone kvetching that no fair, they wanted out of their car seats to come with me, but these days I usually go to a grocery store's fuel station since we get points off per gallon that add up.

Can't say I've ever minded pumping my own gas.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

New Jersey, too.

yeah its still illegal there. you can't fill your own jawn!

(jawn: the regional word for just about everything)
AoTFan

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 03:37:50 PM »

Can't say I've ever minded pumping my own gas.

Only time I minded is when it was REALLY damn cold and you're like, "Damn, wish someone would do this for me so I don't have to get out of the car!"   TeddyR
Bushma

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:26:26 PM »

I live in Oregon. I moved here about 15 years ago. It freaked me out at first when I couldn't pump my own gas. It freaked me out more when I realized the reason I couldn't. The law was put into place for "environmental " reasons. Topping off your gas tank and maybe spilling a little gas destroys the environment. So the gas stations have to hire teenagers and seniors to pump gas. Makes sense right?  I can understand having this law in place in the rural counties where had stations are closed at night. Now people can get gas. Maybe it'll be a start to doing away with the gas pumpers all together.

Also, please don't confuse this with full service. They don't check oil, tire pressure, or anything. If you want your windows washed you'd better get out and do it yourself.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
AoTFan

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:19 AM »

I live in Oregon. I moved here about 15 years ago.

So, I have to ask, do all the memes coming out lately bother you, do you find them hilarious or are you just "meh" about them?  :)
AoTFan

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 04:41:04 AM »

According to some comments I've read on Imgur, a LOT of Oregions are perfectly fine with pumping their own gas and, frankly, getting a little p**sed that a small percentage of people are making their entire look like idiots.  So, yay, faith in humanity!

Still that being said... I can't resist!

Also, found this handy-dandy info dump somewhere...

TL:DR Rules about pumping gas

There seems to be some confusion about the new Oregon gas law.  Some think that that it is state wide and that all Oregonians will now have to pump their own gas.  That is far from true.

First off, this law only effects counties in Oregon that have a population less then 40,000 residents.  That would be all of the counties in green in the image above.

Second, the owner of the gas station has to allow you to pump your own gas and if they decide to allow this they must notify the local fire marshal at least 90 days in advance.

Third, The gas station must not sell any kind of food or beverage.  They can sell oil or other car maintenance items but not food.

Finally, you can only pump your own gas between the hours of 6pm and 6am.  Between 6am and 6pm, a gas station attendant must be present and you do not get to pump it yourself.

Here's the PDF of the actual bill, in case you want to read it for yourself: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2482
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  WTH Oregon?!? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.