Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:12:42 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite MARIO BAVA films « previous next »
Poll
Question: What are your favorites? You can choose 3-so vote away!
BLACK SUNDAY (1960) - 4 (14.3%)
BLACK SABBATH (1963) - 6 (21.4%)
the WHIP AND THE BODY (1963) - 0 (0%)
BLOOD AND BLACK LACE (1964) - 2 (7.1%)
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES (1965) - 5 (17.9%)
KILL,BABY...KILL! (1966) - 3 (10.7%)
DANGER:DIABOLIK (1967) - 3 (10.7%)
FIVE DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON (1970) - 0 (0%)
HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON (1970) - 0 (0%)
A BAY OF BLOOD (1971) - 3 (10.7%)
BARON BLOOD (1972) - 0 (0%)
LISA AND THE DEVIL (1973) - 0 (0%)
RABID DOGS (1974) - 2 (7.1%)
SHOCK (1977) - 0 (0%)
Other- - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite MARIO BAVA films  (Read 3012 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: December 20, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »

Personally-my favorite is KILL,BABY...KILL! (1966). Second would be BLACK SUNDAY (1960) of course-and third RABID DOGS (1977).

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »

For it's time PotV was really excellent in all ways, except for a fee technical golfs.like the backwards ray rifle scene.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »

People may think of FRIDAY THE 13TH as the first splatter flick-- no way!  The Italians had this covered way earlier (so did Europe in general); BAY OF BLOOD aka TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE is a sterling example.  What a nasty, gory movie this was-- but it's also a parable of greed as possible heirs to a lucrative bayside estate bump each other (and others) off to get their hands on it!  Speaking of FRIDAY THE 13TH; the 2nd film in the series directly ripped off the double spear death from this film.  This is the only Bava film I own (under the TOTDN title) but it's a good place to possibly re-assess your notions of where splatter originated.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:37 AM »

I really love his creation, his horror film are the best during his era. I have voted for Black Sabbath, Black Sunday and Lisa and the Devil.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »

People may think of FRIDAY THE 13TH as the first splatter flick-- no way!  The Italians had this covered way earlier (so did Europe in general); BAY OF BLOOD aka TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE is a sterling example.  What a nasty, gory movie this was-- but it's also a parable of greed as possible heirs to a lucrative bayside estate bump each other (and others) off to get their hands on it!  Speaking of FRIDAY THE 13TH; the 2nd film in the series directly ripped off the double spear death from this film.  This is the only Bava film I own (under the TOTDN title) but it's a good place to possibly re-assess your notions of where splatter originated.

When you think about it-BLOOD AND BLACK LACE  could qualify as an early  FRIDAY THE 13TH type of film. A masked killer, a large body count, and it's pretty bloody for it's time.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »

I'll go with BLACK SABBATH, BLOOD & BLACK LACE and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES..but where are CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER and I, VAMPIRI?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »

I'll go with BLACK SABBATH, BLOOD & BLACK LACE and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES..but where are CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER and I, VAMPIRI?

He was co-director on those films. But if you wanted those, you vote "other". Also-I could have added HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD or the EVIL EYE or even the horrendous DR.GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS....but I just went with the cream of the crop.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »

Personally, I only needed 2 votes, as I voted for the 1st two on the list: Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. Though, I must admit I am somewhat ashamed of myself, as I am always confusing the title Black Sunday with Black Sabbath.
316zombie
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »

blacksabbathis our alltimefave bava movie, but we do have a great fondness for planet of the vampires and kill,baby,kill! as well.
Neville

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »

I voted for "Danger: Diabolik" and "Bay of blood", because the're tons of fun and have a certain subversive vibe around them. In "Diabolik", Bava has you rooting for the bad guy just because he's telling the story from his side, and in "Bay of blood" all the characters are so despicable your only choice seems to be cheering everytime one of them is nastily dispatched.

My third vote was for "Planet of the vampires" because I just love the way it looks despite the low budget.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:53:17 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »

Welcome back, Neville!
I like PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES visually as well.
The cool leather suits and skull caps are unique when most space operas of the time went with the traditional big helmets and  zippered silver jumpsuits.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:10:13 PM »

BLACK SUNDAY

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »

BLACK SUNDAY

I just rewatched this the other day. Not the AIP release version. The European version  (the MASK OF SATAN) has a different score and lots of scenes intact that was cut from the American version that was deemed too gruesome by AIP.
Classic Bava!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Favorite MARIO BAVA films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.