Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:35:51 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Foreigner (2017) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Foreigner (2017)  (Read 3222 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: January 08, 2018, 05:04:25 AM »

I saw this a few days ago: both Jackie Chan - as the vengeful ex soldier - and Pierce Brosnan - the former IRA operative - play completely against type and the film, while good, is almost sickeningly violent at times. There is one scene which nearly made me go el-puko: let's just say it involves a wounded, uncooperative terrorist and a strategically placed pistol barrel.  Buggedout Buggedout

My nine year old nephew expressed interest in seeing it: I think not.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »

I haven't seen this movie, I will try to look for a clear copy. The reviews and the story looks promising,

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:30:03 AM »

I haven't seen this movie, I will try to look for a clear copy. The reviews and the story looks promising,

It is a good movie - directed by Martin Campbell of James Bond fame - but please be advised that it is very, very violent: the South African censor gave it an age restriction of 16.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 01:57:05 AM »

It's available on Netflix if you have it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:52:50 AM »

I've been looking forward to this, and it's interesting that Jackie Chan has gone in a more violent direction in his later years.  For ages, he has eschewed graphic violence in favour of his very stylized action sequences, as well as comedy.  But a few of his more recent movies can be quite brutal, like Shinjuku Incident, where someone gets their hand cut off in a rather nasty way, and the whole movie is dark and depressing.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:19:19 AM »

I've been looking forward to this, and it's interesting that Jackie Chan has gone in a more violent direction in his later years.  For ages, he has eschewed graphic violence in favour of his very stylized action sequences, as well as comedy.  But a few of his more recent movies can be quite brutal, like Shinjuku Incident, where someone gets their hand cut off in a rather nasty way, and the whole movie is dark and depressing.

Jackie Chan is actually the bad guy in this - he has a reason to be - but the other people are worse than his character is. I actually felt no sympathy with Jackie Chan's character here, which is odd. The last time I saw Pierce Brosnan as a bad guy was when he was holding a gun on Bob Hoskins in The Long Good Friday.  TeddyR

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:23:29 AM by Trevor » Logged

Neville

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »

Saw it recently, amd found it very enjoyable. But you shouldn't expect your usual Jackie Chan film here. It's more like a Jack Higgins novel, something action packed but with decent plot and character development. I think it's been a good move for Chan, because I've wanted to see him in a real film for ages. Now don't take me wrong, I like his HK stuff, but those aren't real movies, at least IMHO.

Brosnan is quite good as well. He plays a slimmy variation of Gerry Adams.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »

It's more like a Jack Higgins novel, something action packed but with decent plot and character development.

Exactly: I was almost put off by the violence but stayed with it.

Brosnan is quite good as well. He plays a slimmy variation of Gerry Adams.

He was really p*ssed off throughout the film: I think that's the first time I've ever heard him curse in a film. "You come here and put a [expletive deleted] bomb in my toilet?" BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Welcome back, BTW.  Thumbup

Archivist

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:18:29 AM »

Saw it recently, amd found it very enjoyable. But you shouldn't expect your usual Jackie Chan film here. It's more like a Jack Higgins novel, something action packed but with decent plot and character development. I think it's been a good move for Chan, because I've wanted to see him in a real film for ages. Now don't take me wrong, I like his HK stuff, but those aren't real movies, at least IMHO.

Neville, can you expand on this?  Is it that many Jackie Chan movies revolved around extended fight scenes and stunts, or that many of them lack seriousness and character development?  Even in the 80's, Jackie made lesser known movies like Heart of the Dragon, in which he played the brother of a mentally retarded man, played by Sammo Hung.  There's a particularly intense scene where Jackie's character lets out his pent up frustration and sadness from the burden of being his brother. I'm wondering what you consider a 'real film' in this context?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 05:59:37 AM »

The only other really very serious film I've ever seen Jackie Chan in was The Protector (1985): very serious, lots of blood and gore, too much bad language - even from Jackie - and no out-takes at the end.

Oh yeah and it was directed by James Glickenhaus, who brought us The Exterminator.  Smile

Neville

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »

Neville, can you expand on this?  Is it that many Jackie Chan movies revolved around extended fight scenes and stunts, or that many of them lack seriousness and character development?  Even in the 80's, Jackie made lesser known movies like Heart of the Dragon, in which he played the brother of a mentally retarded man, played by Sammo Hung.  There's a particularly intense scene where Jackie's character lets out his pent up frustration and sadness from the burden of being his brother. I'm wondering what you consider a 'real film' in this context?

It's a personal feeling. In most of his HK films the plot and the characters are so barebones that I can't really get into them. I feel they are more acomplished at set piece level than as a whole. This is why I was happy to see Chan in a "real" movie this time.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Foreigner (2017) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.