Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:14:23 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 105
Author Topic: Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread.  (Read 312913 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1020 on: February 28, 2019, 06:57:14 AM »

Had a rough morning this morning. My pancreas is stopping working which has given me diabetes and it's gotten bad enough that I had to start taking medication (this was always going to have to happen sooner or later) to compensate, so they've given me Metformin. This has an initial adjustment period for the human body and I spent a lot of time last night with stomach cramps, gas and frequent toilet sprints.

Now that should be an olympic sport. Give a bunch of people stuff making them need the toilet, and put a number of toilets at the other end of the track (but not quite enough for everyone). I am willing to bet there would be a few land speed records broken trying not to miss out on making it to the toilets first.

Anyway, went into work, saw one of the medics and he signed me off work for the rest of the week. Guess that means the weekend starts now w0000t!

Hope you get better soon.   Smile

That idea about the toilets as an Olympic sport: Usain Bolt wouldn't stand a chance against me if I needed the toilet in a hurry  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1021 on: March 01, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »

Hmm. Considering buying some wargaming stuff off eBay. There is an anti-aircraft truck and an Elephant going for a good price, with a basic paint job on both and some scenery. I can get them all for £30.

Me and Kristi decided to watch Lucifer again. Get prepared for the next season whenever it drops. Was invited to go see a military band performing in Elgin tonight. Wanted to go more for a night out with Kristi than anything else, but since I am signed off work sick for today, I am only allowed to leave the house to get food. Since I have to walk past my bosses house to get out this street it's hard to get away with that one lol.

Just had to stop Ash choking. He is normally ok with sliced and diced apple, but for some reason tonight it didn't go down so well. Hated having to slap his back hard to clear the blockage (just a general first aid tip, with young kids, don't do the Heimlich maneuver. Instead, put them face down lying lengthways down your forearm and slap them firmly on the back with the palm of your hand), but it cleared him out. Used to choke all the time on brussel sprouts as a kid. Loathed the taste of them and would try to swallow them whole.

Anyway, he cried for a good while after that, which of course made me feel really bad. I've told Kristi no more frozen apple slices (frozen fruit is good for him to chew on as it numbs his gums with teething, normally we use peas, although a lot of people seem to go with carrots), so we'll cut them into little cubes which will hopefully cause less heart attacks for his parents.

While I was browsing through eBay earlier, I came across something I thought was a bit unusual. It is pretty much a Lego (not quite Lego, but some similar brand) Last Super diorama.
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Block-Brick-for-Mania-Line-Assembly-BM3521-The-Last-Supper-524-pieces/322647138472?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D4528601395b24d4d89834b5cec23fcf4%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D202608962027%26itm%3D322647138472&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042 if anyone want's to see what that looks like. $60 seems a lot for it to me).

I find it hard to imagine having that on an altar somewhere.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1022 on: March 01, 2019, 07:14:55 PM »

Been feeling someone irked by musicians lately. Sometimes it is minor ones who have mistreated their partners. Othertimes it is major ones who dared die before I was ready to see them go.

Lemmy you mother f**ker, never mind playing bass for some heavenly choir, get your f**king arse back down here and rock the effing world one last time. I miss my annual Motorhead gigs you selfish bastard.

People who die really have no consideration for those they leave behind.

And death is such a waste of the time we spend experiencing life and learning lessons. I first decided this 16 years ago when I kissed the forehead of my dead grandmother and instead of feeling whatever I had expected to feel, instead found only the coldness of clay.

Seems stupid that by the time we get a hang of what is happening we should succumb to the ravages of time and genetics.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
316zombie
« Reply #1023 on: March 02, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »

frozen pineapple cores are great for teething, albeit rather sticky as they thaw. no chance of choking though! i used to keep them in the freezer in my catering kitchen for the people who ran " kid's korner" stuff at conventions and shows, i have TONS of good karma from moms and caregivers just for that, lol!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1024 on: March 03, 2019, 04:45:03 AM »

Got up yesterday with Ash. Was a lovely morning outside, so even though it was Kristi's turn to have a long lie in, I made her get out of bed and we all went for a walk through the town. Since we hadn't had breakfast yet, we stopped at a little cafe down on the beachfront (called The Ponderosa, I wonder if the owners were big fans of Bonanza or something?). Hadn't been in it before, but I liked it. Nice and unpretentious place. They have a corner for kids to play in, books, DVD's and farmhouse produce for sale. Seemed to be quite a popular place. I am sure our wanderings will take us there again in the future. By midday the weather was starting to turn so we meandered our way home (Kristi says I suck at meandering as I tend to unconsciously slip into my normal fast walking pace).

Tracy picked me up around half two, and we headed out to Nairn for the competition. Got our technical rehersal out of the way (which since our play was only 32 minutes long, we combined with a full performance). The others were really quite snippy with each other and tempers were quite short. I put it down to pre show nerves. Anyway, after that we popped to a local bar to get some food. Seemed like a nice place, got some drinks, were handed menu's and they said they'd come to our table to take our order.

So we sat at our table, talking and drinking and somewhere between half an hour to an hour later we realised we were still waiting on someone taking our order. Spoke to the bar staff and were told that since they only had one chef of that day, they were having to stagger taking orders and it would be another half hour at least before they got to us.

Would have been nice if they'd mentioned that when we first asked for the menu's. Decided to head to an Indian place just down the road where I had a pint of Cobra and a very acceptable chicken korma before heading back to the theatre. We were on first and the theatre was sold out. Curiosly I did not feel nervous going on stage which I thought was odd. If you'd seen me do public speaking you'd understand why I find this odd. Cut a long story short, we didn't win the contest although many people were surprised at the one that knocked us out. It was a play about the Holocaust and no one who watched it found it enjoyable from what I heard (I didn't see the play myself, but from the conversations I had with people who did see it the judge seems to have been the only person who liked it). Not exactly worried about not winning, that would have meant further performances and more rehersals and I've been struggling to get the time to attend them all. I thought the play that was on after us was better acted than ours, but I didn't care much for the play itself as it was something of a femanist piece and made all men out to be idiots.

Anyway, had a beer after the performance back in the dressing room and then we all went out for another before heading home. Was about midnight before I got back in the house. Ash woke up while it was still dark. Kristi got up with him, but I got up and told her to go back to bed and I'd watch him since she didn't get her lie in yesterday. The little guy though needed a nap, so he is down sleeping just now.

Yesterday was a good day. Pretty sure today will be another good one. With my wife and baby in my life how could it be otherwise?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:13:16 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1025 on: March 04, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »

Saw these today. Think I need them for the mancave.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:13:40 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1026 on: March 07, 2019, 08:11:26 AM »

As I was walking into work yesterday morning (in uniform), I could see some older guy walking towards me (I would say he was in his 50's). He was dressed in somewhat, uhm eclectic clothes, or perhaps eccentric might be a better way of describing it. Something about his get up made me think he is gay, but that isn't overly relevant. Anyway, he was looking at me with a someone worried, maybe even fearful look. As we passed I smiled and said "Good morning." He looked surprised, reached out to grab my arm and said he wanted to thank me for me service.

It's nice when someone says that (it is the first time anyone has ever said those words to me face to face).

It is odd how some people in much better situations lack that. They will sit and complain about life, not realising how much harder others have it and face it with much more courage and defiance. Too many soft people in the western world I guess with nothing better to do than vent their bile onto the world via the internet and expect it to care.

Heavy rain last night. The streets today are covered in worms. Done my best not to stand on any of them. Don't think I've ever seen that many worms before outside of 'Squirm'. I guess either they'll make it back to the dirt and burrow away or be food for the birds. Or get trodden on.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:14:26 AM by Alex » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1027 on: March 07, 2019, 08:20:50 AM »

It might give you a facepalm moment to know this was banned in South Africa.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1028 on: March 08, 2019, 06:01:45 AM »

It might give you a facepalm moment to know this was banned in South Africa.

I find it amazing just how much stuff you tell us is banned in South Africa, and yet they allow your underpants.

Got Tanya's character designed last night. She has gone for a classic meat shield build, which should help the party out. Decent hit points and a high armour class. Should change the parties performance in combat quite considerably.

Can't believe it was a year ago today that I and Kristi headed off to hospital and the next day was holding a healthy baby boy. All ready for his birthday tomorrow. Bought his presents weeks ago.

Not that I get excited about buying people cool presents or anything. ;)

Won an eBay auction for a boardgame expansion I've been looking out for, for a while now (the original game is Block Mania, with Mega Mania as the expansion. Basically, it is a bunch of tower blocks going to war with each other in the Judge Dredd universe. Hoping to get a game of it with Kristi and Stewart this weekend.

Enjoying some peace and quiet while everyone else is out of the house. Time enough for chaos tomorrow. My package arrived today, but no one was in the house to collect it, but I'll get it tomorrow before the party. Should see my younger brother and his family tomorrow. Don't think my older brother is in the country just now, so not expecting to see him. We aren't doing a huge party for him. Neither of us sees the point in doing that for a birthday he doesn't understand or know what is going on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:53:12 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

316zombie
« Reply #1029 on: March 08, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »

i expect " cakeface" pictures! happy birthday little man!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1030 on: March 10, 2019, 03:36:30 AM »

Just for Barri,

Ash got his own cake to mess about with. Here are the results.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1031 on: March 10, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »

Ash's birthday went well enough. Some tears (all from the one child). Several of the kids had to be warned a few times about being rough with Ash's toys. Mostly the parents did that, although we had one parent who seemed to think that he had came for us to babysit his child, left him one room and then wandered off elsewhere. I was quite glad when he left as I was getting very irritated with him and was coming close to saying something to him. Anyway, you expect kids to get a bit wild at these things. Beyond that it was a fun day.

A couple of other people have mentioned they though he was being a bit rough with Ash's stuff too. Mind you, his dad asked if he could see the shelves I use, which I did. He then asked if he could shake them. Since I have a load of minatures on them I said no, which seemed to upset him a bit.

Anyway, he has fire engines, airplanes and talking teddy bears galore. Looking forward to taking him out on his trike.

Unfortunately Ash seems to have a bit of a cold and a heavily running nose. He woke up yesterday with a very literal snot mustache going on. He wasn't happy about it being cleaned off either. He had a very rough night as did Kristi. I had told her to wake me up and take it in turns to look after him but she decided to do the whole night herself.

Other than not sleeping and crying if he is put in his cot, Ash has been happy and playful though. We tidied up the chaos last night.

316zombie
« Reply #1032 on: March 10, 2019, 05:11:31 PM »

yay! cakeface!! why on earth did that child want to SHAKE the shelves? my sympathies on " the snots". seems like it's going around world wide the last couple of weeks.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1033 on: March 11, 2019, 01:20:57 AM »

yay! cakeface!! why on earth did that child want to SHAKE the shelves? my sympathies on " the snots". seems like it's going around world wide the last couple of weeks.

Wasn't the child wanting to shake the shelfs, was the father.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1034 on: March 12, 2019, 06:01:05 AM »

Bright, sunny day today but with a strong wind that is keeping it feeling cold. The previous few days have been dull and wet, so it is a nice change. Don't seem to be getting quite as many of the days where we've had all four seasons before the morning is over as we used to though.

Another vote on the Brexit treaty tonight. Can't see it passing. Then I guess it will be down to a choice between leaving with no deal, or delaying leaving. Must remember and renew my ETSA before it all happens and suddenly there isn't a visa free travel between the UK and the US. We had Vicky round for dinner last night. She is going over to the US later this year and warned her about making sure her travel arrangements were in place beforehand. She has confidence that trump will put a deal in place quite quickly.

I always think it a little strange when I come across someone who is pro-trump up here, but then again Vicky is from England and can be excused for not knowing or caring about the problems the area had with that 'man' before he entered politics.

Anyway, I pointed out to her the things that the US has already declared it want's out of the trade deal and made sure I gave her plenty of details on how they want our food hygine standards lowered to match the US's. Kristi also pointed out the higher rates of food poisoning in the US (I didn't know about the food poisoning bit, or that the US had lower food safety standards than Europe in many areas until recently, but since the statement of what the States want out of a trade deal with the UK was announced, stuff like that is being widely reported along with the potential to make the NHS much more expensive to run. I'd have to be honest and say I've not really taken the time to look into the detail on these things myself, so I'll reserve judgement there pending me having any wish to check it all out). Vicky asked for what stuff to avoid, so Kristi gave her a few hints (I think she said something about pre-washed bagged salad being the thing to really avoid). I suggested she sticks to my favourite cheese burger place in the States, but apparently they don't have any outlets in Florida. She is also on entirely the wrong side of the country to go to my favourite bar.

Anyway, a small example of the kind of headline we are seeing would be http://www.ecowatch.com/13-ways-the-eu-beats-the-u-s-on-food-safety-1881850175.html. That's a randomly googled one, so I can't vouch for how scientific it is. I'd more look into things like how much rat hairs and feces are allowed per kilo and things like that to really compare standards.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/03/06/trump-asks-uk-to-drop-food-and-environment-standards-to-secure-post-brexit-trade-deal/ might be a more in depth discussion on the matter for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing.

One bit of advice I've been given from multiple sources, on a somewhat lower level than mass import/export agreements is that if you ever go somewhere to eat and it has any less than the highest rating for food handling, just don't eat there. I've heard that from people working in health inspections from several different countries.

Given the whole horsemeat scandal a few years back I am not sure how much of it really matters. You never seem to be quite 100% sure of what you are getting, regardless of where it comes from.

Its my older brothers 48th birthday today. Wow, makes him nearly 50. The longer I live the faster time seems to fly. I remember as a teenager having a job delivering milk. Used to drop it off to several old folks home. I always felt bad for the ones who just sat there staring out the windows, mouths agape like some stranded goldfish. Maybe it was just this time dialation effect was so bad at there age that they were stunned by the days shooting past so quickly.

Certainly it is a more comforting thought than thinking that they had just been dumped in these places and left to die. Always swore that if I had to put my mum into one of these places I'd make sure we visited regularly and kept her mind engaged.

Got Tanya coming around tonight so Kristi can help her out with issues with her laptop and explain some D&D stuff. I have to admit that I am looking forward to having a night without company. Just had my mum and sister for a week, my younger brother and his family for  a long weekend, dinner guest last night and now we are providing technical assistance tonight. I know how the granddad in 'The Lost Boys' feels when he complains he had dinner company 10 years before and didn't want anyone else coming round.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 105
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.