Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:32 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 105
Author Topic: Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread.  (Read 312795 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #495 on: September 04, 2018, 06:15:40 AM »

Fancying the new Predator movie. I have high hopes for it, although I guess I am pinning a lot on the involvement of Shane Black. He's done some good scripts over the years, but I have no idea how he is as a director.

He wrote Lethal Weapon 2 so, pass from me.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #496 on: September 04, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »

Watching Hereditary at the moment. People told me it is a Lovecraftian film. Problem is that if something has tentacles people tend to label it as Lovecraftian. Sorry but giant squids etc are not Lovecraftian. Well not unless seeing them drives you insane and they follow different physical laws as they originate from a galaxy so remote in time and space it bears no relation to ours. I guess the words "cosmic horror" sum up for me what is really Lovecraftian. The idea that we are here, there is no loving God and nothing out there really cares about us any more than you would care about a bunch of ants scrambling about on a pavement as you pass by. If you cared to notice them at all you might squash them without a second thought.

While this film doesn't seem to be the type to have tentacled things waving around I am guessing (from what I've seen so far), that it may have some tenuous connection to The Strange Case Of Charles Dexter Ward.

Purely from my point of view, some of the better horror films I would view as being Lovecraftian would be...

In The Mouth Of Madness.
The Void.
The Mist.
Event Horizon.
John Dies At The End.
Prince Of Darkness.

Films that other people claim are Lovecraftian, but (again personal viewpoint) that I don't agree with include...

Alien.
The Thing.
Prometheus.
Cloverfield.
A Cure For Wellness.

The most faithful adaptations of Lovecrafts works tend to be done by the HPLHS (H P Lovecraft Historical Society), and while they are good, they tend not to evoke chills in the watcher, but I can recommend them. So far I've seen The Call Of Cthulhu from them and The Whisperer In The Dark. There are of course plenty of other Lovecraft adaptations which play pretty fast and loose with the story including the Re-Animator movies, Castle Freak and Dagon (basically anything involving Stuart Gordon. It will however have tits on display in it if he directed it). He has the enthusiasm to do Lovecraftian movies, but most assuridly lacks the talent alas. Maybe Del Toro could do it justice on screen and he has certainly flirted with Lovecraft in some of his other movies (especially the first Hellboy).

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #497 on: September 05, 2018, 03:17:33 AM »

Turns out it wasn’t even a slightly Lovecraftian movie, certainly no more than for example Humanoids From The Deep (and after all that does have fish men having sex with humans which is something that occurs in one of Lovecraft’s stories). Don’t know if it was as good as everyone was saying, but then I wasn’t overly impressed with A Quiet Place either and everyone seemed to be raving over that one too.

Hmm, what is happening in the news? The Labour Party is still engulfed in its whole anti-Semitism row. I am not sure that just criticising Israel counts as being anti-Semitic. I mean I was none too amused when I heard Mossad had given a bunch of its agents stolen British passports to a hit squad they sent to a hotel to kill some people. Personally, I don’t think that qualifies me as the architect of the next Holocaust though. Still the Israelis don’t tend to take rebukes lightly. Part of me thinks it is something of a case of becoming what you hate, but if that excuse is justified for any country, well it would be them.

1762 days left in the job. 1762 seems to have been a quiet year. Both the French/Indian War and the 7 Years War (which less face it was just different theatres of the same war really) came to an end with the surrender of the French.

It’s funny, but very little seems to end with the surrender of the French. It just leaves other countries having to do the fighting for them, WW2 and Vietnam just being a couple of examples.

The tea bar is running low on Irn Bru. Ryan is telling me the country isn’t going to run out of it, but only two or three men in the whole world know the secret to making that stuff, and if they all die in a plane crash or get crushed by a falling meteor then what? I am not switching to drinking the fake stuff the Coke company sells in countries that let it get away with that kind of sharp practise. I mean, if the world runs out of dead prostitutes*, Ryan will wish he’d stocked up while he had the chance.

Hmm, both windows agree on the weather today. It looks fine and clear. I am taking that perversely as a bad sign. The windows don’t often agree on the weather. Still, no French running back over the horizon fleeing (any other army would be advancing on an invasion) so the country seems safe so far. Chalk that up as another successful morning. 6273 successful days so far.

Damn but I am good.

Got a phone call for one of the new guys. They were asking for SAC Williams and I was thinking “What f**king one of the pair of twats is that?”

Turns out it was the ginger one. Well he isn’t in today as he is on night shift. And well, the other one isn’t in either because he is off swimming, so it doesn’t really matter which one is one. At least I have noticed a difference between the pair of them. Ginger one or Swimmy one. It is more than I take notice of most people I work with.

*Long story.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #498 on: September 05, 2018, 03:49:51 AM »

1762 days left in the job. 1762 seems to have been a quiet year. Both the French/Indian War and the 7 Years War (which less face it was just different theatres of the same war really) came to an end with the surrender of the French.

I have 5110 days left before I have to retire.

Got a phone call for one of the new guys. They were asking for SAC Williams and I was thinking “What f**king one of the pair of twats is that?

BounceGiggle TeddyR

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #499 on: September 05, 2018, 04:23:07 AM »

I have 5110 days left before I have to retire.

Got a phone call for one of the new guys. They were asking for SAC Williams and I was thinking “What f**king one of the pair of twats is that?

BounceGiggle TeddyR

Do you have a little table where you mark off each day as well? I find it very therapeutic, although somehow I can't imagine you retiring from a job you love so much.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #500 on: September 05, 2018, 04:43:18 AM »

Do you have a little table where you mark off each day as well? I find it very therapeutic, although somehow I can't imagine you retiring from a job you love so much.

No, I have a chisel to mark the wall of my office to see how the days pass  Wink

Two years before I retire, I'll submit an application to my DG to ask to extend my period of employment after retirement so that I can still teach the younglings.*  Smile

* Or try to.  Wink

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #501 on: September 05, 2018, 04:45:40 AM »

I just mentally pictured you in the role of Anakin Skywalker...

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #502 on: September 05, 2018, 04:51:21 AM »

I just mentally pictured you in the role of Anakin Skywalker...

TeddyR TeddyR

Children and young peeps in general like me (no idea why) so

TeddyR TeddyR

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #503 on: September 05, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »

Not sure if Ash is channeling Joey from Friends or Derek Zoolander here...

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »

So when your wife is in the middle of a boss fight in an online raid, it turns out that coming up behind her, covering her eyes and telling her to use the Force is not as useful as it should be.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #505 on: September 06, 2018, 02:51:54 AM »

Not sure if Ash is channeling Joey from Friends or Derek Zoolander here...

First of all: cute!  Thumbup

Secondly: he's channeling Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Muddah, saying "Because I'm awesome!"  Wink

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #506 on: September 06, 2018, 03:22:50 AM »

I find it vaguely frightening how cute he seems to be. Going to say he gets that from his mum.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »

Went to the medics today to see if I could come off my happy pills. Answer is yes. They are satisfied that I am not cured, but it will be another 6 months before I get fully upgraded just so I can be watched for a relapse or anything.

Yay for being deployable again. They weren’t kidding when they said when you join up you get to see the world. Unfortunately, the bits you get to see are all places no one in their right mind would want to go to lol.

One of the guys down the other end of the building had a pretty big heart attack. Our boss Terry is going to have to go take over his role for an indefinite period, until the guy recovers or is replaced. Terry isn’t overly happy about it as he was enjoying being in our office.

Was a lovely afternoon 5 minutes ago, but it being Scotland it is now raining heavily. The cyclists in the room are all complaining about riding home in the rain. Bunch of southern girly boys.

Reminds me, one of these days I should let Justin know that he has misspelt ‘Southern’ on his email address trail. Normally it has a ‘u’ in it. Still he has had that for the past five years and I’ve not corrected him yet.

Just got word that my little brother has been taken back into hospital. He has a minor op on Monday to stop him snoring and hasn’t had a pee since. He went back into hospital today and his kidney isn’t doing well being badly dehydrated so they’ve transferred him onto the renal ward. Given he’s already had to have a kidney transplant it is a worrying development. I am keeping as close an eye on things as I can while at work and I might head down to see him tomorrow after work.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #508 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »

Still waiting on more word about Stewart's condition. He is being kept overnight at a minimum. If he is going to be in hospital over the weekend I'll head down to see him.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »

So the anaestetic from Stewart's operation put his bladder and kidney to sleep and they haven't woken up. His bladder filled up with urine, backed up and started to put pressure on his kidney as well. They are going to put him on dialysis to help his kidney recover. He also has an infection and something that has all the symptoms of Scarlett Fever, but is something else they haven't identified yet. He is in an isolation room just now. As soon as I can get away from work I'll be heading down to see him for the weekend. Spoke to him for a little bit last night. They are going to pumping his body with a cocktail of three different antibiotics in the hope it fights the various infections.

Feeling sad about Burt Reynolds. I loved his Smokey and the Bandit movies, remember watching Sharkeys Machine while in Spain and a load of other happy memories associated with them. I'll even tolerate the third one. Oh well, I guess I should go shave and whatnot, get ready for work.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:42:54 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 105
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.