Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:51:58 AM
713401 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 105
Author Topic: Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread.  (Read 313177 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #780 on: December 11, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »

Thanks all and glad your cat has recovered from his op.

I wish your cat had been saved too.  Bluesad

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2018, 06:49:33 AM »

Not done this for a while, so lets see. 1665 days left in the job. What was happening that year?

Well, the girl with the pearl earing was painted, London was in the firm grip of The Great Plague which would end the following year with the twin 'blessings' of a very cold winter and The Great Fire of London (in which officially at least only 6 people died despite the fire destroying 70,000 out of the 90,000 inhabitants homes. Fun fact, more people have died falling of the monument to the great fire than this. Chances are though, they didn't bother recording the poor people that died though I'd imagine). The second Anglo Dutch War broke out. The worlds oldest surviving newspaper (London Gazette) was first published, 'Ye Bare & Ye Cubbe',  the first play in English in the American colonies, is performed in Pungoteague, Virginia. Robert Hooke's Micrographia is published in London, first applying the term 'cell' to plant tissue, which he discovered first in cork, then in living organisms, using a microscope. The University of Kiel is founded.

In less than two years, I'll be able to cover the Battles of Stamford Bridge and Hastings. Something to look forward to then.

Poor little Dagon. I am going to miss him. He'd finally started coming up an sitting on my lap (mostly as a safe place to sit where Ash couldn't chase him), which I've never had a problem with getting a cat to do before, but then one of the things I've always liked about cats is the little quirks in their personalities. Dogs are for people who like to be worshipped, while cats expect to be worshipped.

Think Kristi was surprised at how upset she was, but then she'd never had a pet before we got the rabbits and Dagon. I did try to keep him in the house at shift handover times on the camp when the roads are busiest, and that looks like how it happened. A black cat when it is dark isn't well equipped for avoiding cars.

Stress head Jim has just discovered the Bad Lip Synching Seagull's song with Yoda and is being highly amused by it. He's been down ever since sending an email that got him into a lot of trouble. Oh well, I am sure he'll cheer up by the end of next week with the holiday season on the way.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #782 on: December 11, 2018, 06:58:16 AM »

My sympathies on your kitty's passing: I have nine feral cats here at work - which my mentor and I feed daily - and I would be heartbroken if any of them went.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #783 on: December 11, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »

Well, I've decided on my force for Sunday's Bolt Action game. Since we are only having a small game designed to be over in a couple of hours, I was going to take more or less a straight infantry platoon with some extra support, but I've got toys there I have yet to play with and ended up taking a lot of them.

HQ Units.
First Lieutenant. (Veteran) + Infantryman both equipped with rifles (I might change this to SMG's through and turn them into a mini assault unit). Travels in my Universal Carrier (see below).
Artillery Observer. (Regular) (Free unit when you field a British army. Each nationality in Bolt Action has got various characteristics to give your army a unique touch compared to the other nations). Randomly, my Arty Observer is a figure of Sir Christopher Lee, who did fulfil this role during the war before moving onto other more secretive stuff. I couldn't resist painting him up in the outfit he is wearing as Scaramanga in 'The Man With The Golden Gun' though rather than desert fatigues.

Infantry
Infantry Squad. (Regular) 10 men. All equipped with rifles. I'll stick these PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) somewhere where they can get shot at instead of my more important units. Bought a truck to transport them onto the battlefield.
Infantry Squad. (Veteran) 7 men. Two LMG's and the rest with rifles. This gives me a reliable firebase capable of chewing up any opposing infantry.

Infantry Support.
Sniper Unit. (Veteran) 2 men. I rarely leave these out of any of my Bolt Action armies. The thought of picking off an enemy officer (especially a Forward Air Controller and their pesky airstrikes) is just too damn tempting. Besides, I once played a game where my opponent thought my two-man anti-tank rifle team were snipers with an anti-tank rifle and it held the entire flank for a full game as he was too afraid to get in range of it. I only found out this after the game and had been wondering why he hadn't tried to exploit my refused flank and kept some of his best troops hanging around in a forest just out of range of the weapon, but doing nothing to help him win the game.

Artillery.
QF-17 (Regular). Ok, slight overkill taking the best anti-tank gun in WW2 (although not the best overall gun, that honour lies with the German 88, an anti-aircraft gun which it was found could be equally useful as an anti-tank gun or howitzer. I'd even rate it higher than the Soviet ZiS 3 (in a small game like this, especially when my opponent is unlikely to take any vehicles that would make worthy targets for this beast, but I haven't had a chance to use this in a game yet. Tactically it is not the best choice. Just as a historical note, we used to take the turrets off the Sherman's we bought from the US and stick one of these guns in them (Sherman's for most of the war had a 75mm gun that was meant to support infantry, not take out enemy tanks and they struggled against heavy German armour) and called them Firefly's. Roughly one in four British Sherman's had these, giving a troop of them a fighting chance against the big cats (Tigers and Panthers). QF stands for Quick Fire just in case you were wondering.

Armoured Car.
Humber Scout Car. Useful for whizzing around the map to grab any objectives. It only has light firepower and armour so isn't designed to get bogged down in a heavy fight.

Transport.
30CWT Truck (Inexperienced). No weapons mounted on this. It is simply there to get the regular infantry into the thick of things as quickly as possible. I want to use it to rush them as far up the table, deploy the men into some cover and then it is pretty much useless beyond providing an extra order dice (for every unit you have in Bolt Action you get an order dice. You take a different colour from your opponent, all the dice go into a bag and then you pull a random dice out. If it is one of your then you can give an order to a unit, so the more order dice you have the more likely you are to be able to move or shoot with one of your units giving you a tactical advantage). If I need it to though, this can be used to ferry other units around, which could be useful depending on the scenario we end up fighting.

Bren Carrier (Regular). With a forward facing and pintle-mounted LMG, this little armoured transport can lay down a fair bit of firepower. It can transport up to 5 men, so I plan on putting my CO in it and it can troubleshoot (pun intended) where ever I feel my battle line is under pressure and otherwise fulfil the same kind of role as the Humber Scout Car. Random fact, even to this day the Bren Carrier is the worlds most mass-produced armoured fighting vehicle.

Quad Tractor (Regular). Another unarmoured vehicle, this time used to tow the QF-17.

Anyway, it gives me a numerically small force with lots of fire-power and mobility. Taking a big risk with the QF-17 (ties up 140 points out of my 750 points total) for what will no doubt be a very expensive sniper (it doesn't have a high explosive shell, only an armour piercing one which limits its use against infantry). Not a terribly historically accurate force, although in the initial fighting in Normandy and the break out things got very confused and all sorts of ad-hoc formations ended up fighting alongside each other so it isn't entirely unfeasible either.

Anyway if you've read all the way through this, you may now know more about nerdy WW2 wargaming than you ever wanted to lol. I'll give you an advance warning though. I may do a post on Sunday (time permitting) on how the game goes. Must remember and pop next door to speak to Kenny, see if he wants to come along since he wants to get into Warhammer.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #784 on: December 12, 2018, 02:19:35 AM »

So, snow is on its way over the rest of the week. Not that we will see much in Lossiemouth I suspect. One of the things about living beside the sea is the salt content in the air tends to keep that to a minimum. Go just a few miles inland though and that all changes. We get a light dusting of snow, while some of our friends get cut off for a week.

Keep wanting to go feed Dagon, or open a window to let him out.

Another mass shooting in France. The joys of having easy access to automatic weapons. Hopefully, it won't take long to track down the shooter. France is putting extra security measures in place. You'd have thought given their history over the past few years they would already have that in place to protect people.

The Prime Minister continues to hold onto her job by the skin of her teeth and yet another attempt to usurp her is taking place (well actually two attempts. The opposition is looking at a vote of no confidence in her (a Parliamentary vote), while her own party are also trying for a vote of no confidence in her leadership (a purely internal party vote). I wonder who they think would replace her and could put an acceptable Brexit deal in place in the roughly hundred days we have left before we leave the EU. Not that I think that anyone could negotiate a deal that enough people would think is acceptable. I can see us stumbling into a no deal Brexit. If that happens I see a strong possibility that for the first time ever we'll see the value of the pound drop below the dollar.

Right now I think the best option would be for her to say that since an acceptable deal to leave the EU cannot currently be negotiated she is going to cancel us leaving Europe for the moment. This would certainly be her resignation speech though. I do not seriously believe she is capable of throwing herself on her sword for the benefit of the country.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #785 on: December 12, 2018, 05:21:31 AM »

And it has been announced that Theresa May's own party have triggered a vote of no confidence in her. Might lead to a change of Prime Minister, but not the party in charge. Meanwhile the country circles around the drain, swirling and waiting just to go down while our leaders and representatives are too busy fighting for a bigger slice of an increasingly smaller pie rather than trying to make the pie that bit bigger. I am considering who the least worst replacement for her would be. I know who I do not want to get in the most though, and that would be Jacob Reece-Mogg, a man of Victorian values to say the least.

1664 days left in my job. In 1664 at the Battle of Surat: Maratha Chhatrapati Shivaji defeats Mughal Emperor Inayat Khan, and sacks Surat. The Kronenbourg Brewery (Brasseries Kronenbourg) is founded in Strasbourg and thus Kronenbourg 1664 is born. Jupiter's big red spot was discovered by the English polymath, Robert Hooke (who'd have ever thought that planets got acne?). The Ottoman Empire was defeated by the Habsburgs. It always surprises me just how many times the Ottoman's tried and failed to conquer Europe. The Dutch surrendered New Amsterdam to an English naval squadron. The precursor to the Royal Marines (f 1755) was founded (Maritime Regiment of Foot).

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #786 on: December 12, 2018, 07:29:47 AM »

And it has been announced that Theresa May's own party have triggered a vote of no confidence in her. Might lead to a change of Prime Minister, but not the party in charge. Meanwhile the country circles around the drain, swirling and waiting just to go down while our leaders and representatives are too busy fighting for a bigger slice of an increasingly smaller pie rather than trying to make the pie that bit bigger. I am considering who the least worst replacement for her would be. I know who I do not want to get in the most though, and that would be Jacob Reece-Mogg, a man of Victorian values to say the least.

I could use a pie now: I'm hungry.  Wink

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #787 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:13 AM »

I won't tell you about the delicious soup my wife just made me then in case it makes you more hungry. I'd hate to think you might be so starving that you might have to resort to eating your own underpants.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »

Had a house full of Mormon's tonight (7 of them, including two missionaries and the head of the local church). Sometimes I find it surprising just how many heads of religious orders I've met (not that Perry is the head of the Mormon church, just the local branch), and famous religious people (one of the previous heads of the Anglican church, Billy Graham, the head of some African church that I can't remember the name of for example). Been a while since any of them have tried to convert me though.

Maybe the god of Abraham decided on a live and let live policy where I am concerned and just put out the word I am to be left alone.

A slightly random question just while I am vaguely on the topic of religion, and one for any Catholics out there. Does the church have like an app for confession for when a priest isn't available?

Questions like that keep me awake at night.

How does the man who drives the snowplough get to work when the weather is bad?

When the Queen is doing one of her meet and greets how does she handle it if she gets an itchy bum. I mean if she was to scratch it, it would make headlines the world over.

Does the light in my fridge really go out when I close the door?

Did people really at one time think Rob Schneider was ever funny?

As I expected May has managed to survive and stay in power. That woman should be in Star Trek. Her Klingon powers are quite something. Mr Reese-Mogg who has been saying for the past two years that people voted to leave the EU, we need to respect that, not have a second referendum and that Brexit means Brexit has been saying the PM should step down. Someone did say to him "You had an election 2 years ago. You voted May as the leader, you need to respect that,  not have a second leadership contest and that May means May."

That is about as funny as British politics gets.

She still has to get her Brexit deal through Parliment. Normally I get a fairly good gut instinct on how these things will go, but with this one, I really have no idea. Maybe I just hoping too much against hope that the MP's will decide to put the country's welfare ahead of their own personal agenda.

Holy s**t, did I really just write that and expect them to do that. f**king hell, I think I must be ill.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #789 on: December 12, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »

How does the man who drives the snowplough get to work when the weather is bad?
(The man who cuts the town barber's hair comes and shovels him a way in.)

A slightly random question just while I am vaguely on the topic of religion, and one for any Catholics out there. Does the church have like an app for confession for when a priest isn't available?
(No, but in the 1990s, during the golden days of the dot.com mania, a bishop overseas was relieved of his diocese by the Pope, so this bishop created a virtual diocese based on an Algerian diocese that went defunct in the late 7th century, when the Religion of Peace passed through.)

When the Queen is doing one of her meet and greets how does she handle it if she gets an itchy bum. I mean if she was to scratch it, it would make headlines the world over.
(Being a reptile Her Majesty has no bum. I refer you to Neil Gaiman's seminal work on the subject, A Study In Emerald.)

Does the light in my fridge really go out when I close the door?
Yes, the little gnome that came with the fridge turns it on and off.

Did people really at one time think Rob Schneider was ever funny?
(Very much so. For full explanation see: Devil, deal made with.)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #790 on: December 13, 2018, 02:28:52 AM »

Hmm, the kick out May brigade is still aiming to unseat her. I wonder how many times they have to fail before they take the hint. I do not like or support the woman in any way, but I am finding a grudging admiration of a kind for her ability to stay in.

I don't think the mob wanting her out actually realise that if she goes, the replacement won't be able to negotiate another deal. Even if Europe hadn't said that this is the only deal on the table and they won't renegotiate the deal on offer there simply isn't the time to come up with an alternative one in the roughly hundred days left.

All of this is pushing us to a no deal exit that is going to badly hurt the ordinary people in the country. Thing is, the same people who are going to be hurt by it are still going to vote for the same people who are going to cause them all this pain.

I weep for the species (figuratively anyway).

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #791 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:53 AM »

I won't tell you about the delicious soup my wife just made me then in case it makes you more hungry. I'd hate to think you might be so starving that you might have to resort to eating your own underpants.

TeddyR TeddyR

I have never been that hungry.  Wink

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #792 on: December 13, 2018, 08:17:17 AM »

A discussion on the radio at work is all about people going (read, forcibly) for anti-radicalisation treatment. Does that count as brainwashing by the government I wonder? Do people have the right to be Islamic terrorists if they really believe it is right and should the government have that power.

Honestly I'd say yes it does. No one has the right to just go out and blow people up just because it fits with that they believe, but I'd be a bit more concerned about it being applied further than that.

A New Zealand court banned the identity of a suspected criminal from being released in order to prevent his trial being prejudiced, not to mention the effects on the accused life should he later be found innocent. Google however has emailed the guy's name all over the world.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #793 on: December 14, 2018, 05:58:31 AM »

Friday. The day of the week I spend clock watching, just waiting for the time I can get the hell out of work for a few days and have my own time. Even though I am never quite sure exactly what time I am going to get away at, I at least know I am going to get away. Got a busy weekend ahead, got a concert to listen to tonight with Kristi, out shopping tomorrow, war gaming Sunday during the day and then D&D in the evening. Still next week I'll only be in for three night shifts and then not back at work until the 8th. If I say not back until next year, it sounds like a much longer time though.

Been sorting out a leaving present for Dave. Guess that officially makes him more popular than Shona since no one bothered with anything for her when she departed.

Wonder how she is finding her new job? Actually I don't. She was miserable when she was here, miserable in all her previous postings and I have absolutely no doubt she is entirely miserable where she has went to.

I do however feel very sorry for the amputee's she will now be working with. As if they haven't already suffered enough.

Kev (I must come up with nicknames for the two Kev's I work with. Trouble is they are both tall and overweight, so the obvious physical traits to assign them nicknames over are already taken). Hmm, one is good at his job though, while the other is useless. I guess I can use that instead of my usual way of remembering who is who. I do have precedent there, having ran out of them for all the Dave's (and thus why Concerts Dave has that name. I have  'Inhumanly Tall Dave', 'Fat Dave', 'Wee Dave', 'Laughing Dave', 'Thin Dave McC' and Little Boy Dave). There are more Dave's but I can't recall them all right now. When it comes to Jim's there is a whole lot more (elder brother Jim, nephew James, nephew Jim, uncle Jim, cousin Jim, cousin Jim's son Jim, stress head Jim, narcissist James, oor Jim, half brother Jim and not forgetting the hateful old bastard whose grave I would cheerfully dance on Jim).

For some reason my family in previous generations used a limited pool of names for boys (Jim, John, Grant and Alexander covers a lot of my male relations). Me and my brothers are really the only ones who broke with this tradition (one the elders son's is called James, but the others are Cameron (although he chose to change his name to that and Stewart didn't know that privately he'd been using that for a number of years before he announced he was changing it when he named his son) and Adam), while Stewart named his son Cameron.

I wanted Ash to have a bunch of names, so if he didn't like the one we call him he would at least have other options.

If any of that seems confusing, I can always introduce you to my friend Gary who married his sister in law (ex wife's sister) and can call her children nephew son and niece daughter. He doesn't even come from Norfolk where such things are normal and they firmly believe it does not do good to dilute the family gene pool.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:23:14 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #794 on: December 14, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »

Ah the glories of a Friday evening, after Ash has finally consented to fall asleep. Surprised Kristi by putting on a collection of songs from children's movies, as played by the BBC concert orchestra. She loves that sort of thing and I love doing something that puts a smile on her face.

I told her the BBC is doing a version of Le Mis. She'd already heard about it. Apparently, people are outraged that they are leaving out the music. Guess they haven't read the book then. Luckily she said she isn't interested in watching it. Guess whiny French people don't appeal to her either.

I really should be working out the stats of a two-headed Ogre mage for Sunday's game. I figure someone who can cast two spells a turn is going to give the party a bit of surprise. I also need to do my special insect attack...

Got Gus at work to start reading a second novel. He said he didn't like reading, but when he was going off to the desert I offered him a Star Wars novel since he is a big SW fan. He enjoyed the novel and shares my love of shark movies, so I suggested he read Meg. He is starting that one now. I find very few people don't like reading. It is just a matter of finding the right author for each person. Mostly I blame school. They give kids books to read that are dull and boring, rather than something that is going to hook people in and keep them reading. Forget Shakespeare, give them Harry Bloody Potter if that is what the kids are interested in. If they get into reading I am sure they will seek out stuff like Shakespeare on their own later on. I did. Ok, so I found him overrated, but at least I went and read his stuff. And should Ash ever want to read him, well I have a copy of his complete works ready and waiting.

Kind of hoping he prefers my complete works of Lovecraft, Herbert, and Howard if I am entirely honest though.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 105
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Dark Alex's Really Long Post Thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.