Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:31:06 PM
714219 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  High brow and low brow comedy. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: High brow and low brow comedy.  (Read 4860 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 26, 2018, 06:54:55 PM »

Can you list some lowbrow and highbrow comedies you like?

Lowbrow: Blazing saddles.  (Yeah,  campfire scene)  Animal house.

Highbrow: Love and Death.  Dr.  Strangelove.

I think highbrow comedy is harder.  Lowbrow comedy just needs some farts,  belches and vulgartity plus a knee in the groin now and then.

Highbrpw takes a lot more.  

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »

My cousin liked to say a guideline was Jewish comedy was lowbrow and English was highbrow but I can think of exceptions to each. Benny Hill versus some Woody Allen comes to mind.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:23:15 PM »

Yeah, Woody Allen is one of the great comedy film makers who never sunk to toilet humor.  His comedy was aimed well above most audiences today and he wasn't afraid to be open about it. he doesn't write for the masses.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »

I can't STAND Woody Allen movies. Just-ugh. Now DR. STRANGELOVE is fantastic!

Personally,I much prefer low-brow. I'll take the 3 Stooges over a bunch of metrosexuals whining about their relationship quirks any day.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Archivist

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »

From the same awesome YouTube channel, BriTANick.

Low Brow comedy:

! No longer available Small | Large

High Brow comedy (with a little bit of low brow)

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »

Highbrow:

* THE KING OF COMEDY

* LOST IN AMERICA

* TEACHER'S PET (1958)

* ONE, TWO, THREE

* MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE

Lowbrow:

* KING FRAT

* DUMB AND DUMBER

* NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VAN WILDER

* HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE

* THE GROOVE TUBE

* KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE

* TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE

* A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »

I don't like ALL low comedy. It has to be done right. Most frat house junk and NATIONAL LAMPOON movies leave me cold.
But DUMB AND DUMBER and AIRPLANE kill me!

Question for Burgomaster-Would you consider the Marx Brothers to be low or high? Because you have to be sharp to catch some of Groucho's humor.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »

Question for Burgomaster-Would you consider the Marx Brothers to be low or high? Because you have to be sharp to catch some of Groucho's humor.

I'd put Marx Brothers movies on the "high brow" side. I think their funniest moments are when they are engaged in snappy dialogue. And I agree that you need to listen carefully to catch some of Groucho's jokes.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »

Groucho Marx was my role model for snappy banter for years. Imprinted me deeply as a kid.  Nothing like a fast-talking sarcastic Yid, and I mean that in an absolutely positive way.  Haven't watched a Marx Brothers film for ages, must get back into it.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »

Groucho Marx was my role model for snappy banter for years. Imprinted me deeply as a kid.  Nothing like a fast-talking sarcastic Yid, and I mean that in an absolutely positive way.  Haven't watched a Marx Brothers film for ages, must get back into it.

One of my favorite Groucho lines is from DUCK SOUP. He's talking to chubby Margaret Dumont about marriage and he says: "I can see you right now in the kitchen, bending over a hot stove. But I can't see the stove."

Another favorite is from THE COCOANUTS: "Three years ago I came to Florida without a nickel in my pocket. Now I’ve got a nickel in my pocket."

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »

How lowbrow can I go?

Abbott and Costello
I think I've seen every one of their films.

The 3 Stooges
Again, I think I have seen every one of their films, and unlike most people, who found them thru their short subjects, I 1st came to know them thru their feature films.

As for highbrow

I think the nearest I have ever came to highbrow comedy is thru 2 films I inadvertently caught on television: the American "Start the Revolution Without Me" and the British "Big Time Operators," which I saw under its original title "The Smallest Show on Earth." So . . .

The Smallest Show on Earth
The acting duo of Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna inherit a cinema called "The Fleapit" from a deceased relative, where patrons pay for their admission with live chickens. The comedy is provided by Margaret Rutherford, Peter Sellers, and Bernard Miles, but it is the films that make the film as it were. Films they somehow manage to run in slo-mo, speeded up, backwards, upside down, and ever which way but the right way. They do manage to do a couple of things right. They put extra salt on the popcorn and then show films about people dying of thirst in the desert, so their patrons will buy something to drink,  and as the cinema is next to the train station, they run a film about trains, and when the film's train pulls into the station, a real train pulls into the station next door.

Start the Revolution Without Me
Loosely based, very loosely, on Dumas The Corsican Brothers, and set at the start of the French Revolution, Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland star as two sets of twins, who were mixed up at birth. One set of twins from the upper classes and one set from the lower classes, and all the confusion that results when both sets of twins run into each other.

Even after all this time . . .
2 of the most memorable,
2 of the most humorous,
2 of my favorite comedies
. . . of all time.
Pacman000
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »

Keep in mind even "low brow" comedy takes finess.  Simply hitting someone or making fart noises isn't funny; it needs to be times well and  put into the correct context, or it seems cruel/crude.

The Smallest Show on Earth is funny; wish it was better known.
Archivist

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 12:32:22 AM »

Highbrow:

and lowbrow, from the same awesome duo, Fry and Laurie:

Fox Sake
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »

Anything from Simon Pegg really. I love the way he plays off long-time pal Nick Frost, not only in Hot Fuzz, Paul and Shaun of the Dead, but also the TV comedy "Spaced".

I quite like Airplane type humour too - "just don't call me Shirley"

On  higher plain, I would say Woody Allen gets my vote, especially his earlier less serious films - Love and Death and Annie Hall in particular
316zombie
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 04:20:44 PM »

welcome to the loony bin,fox!
   have you see " midsummer night's sex comedy","manhattan murder mystery" and "shadows and fog" ? those are my top 3 for woody allen, i've watched  them at least 20 times.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  High brow and low brow comedy. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.